More Glock aftermarket experiments

graycrait

Just some remarks about some things I have been trying out on one of my experimental platforms.

1. Front Sight: Dawson Precision makes a very nice "target" front fiber optic sight. Angled front with small serrations makes the small fiber rod really stand out. I recommend this for a range gun.

2. Trigger: Lightening Strike aliminum trigger makes the trigger "feel" like it is breaking just a bit crisper or less vague. Pretty expensive though and not a big return.

3. Thumb Safety: Cominolli thumb safety. I've put in three with no problems and only have the one on one of my own Glocks, my "experimental" gun. It works, is positive and needs to have some of the ledge of the lever reduced. I don't recommend this.

4. Trigger Spring: Highly recommend a 6lb trigger spring vice the stock 5lb spring. Makes for a lighter trigger pull without making the trigger pull vague or dangerous. Highly recommend. Glockworx is a source.

5. Striker spring: Increased power Glockworx striker spring works and in conjunction with a reduced power safety plunger spring lightens up the trigger pull without fear of light strikes.

6. Ghost Rocket 3.5lb hand-fitted connector. I recommend this and it will reduce overtravel. I jacked up the first one I got when I got impatient by taking too much off the overtravel "stud." The second one I took my time and it works nicely.

7. JP Enterprise magwell works but is likely overshadowed by the Dawson Precision ICE magwell with replacable delrin inserts. The JP magwell is super easy to install and fits nicely on the Gen 3 17 frame.

8. Rear is a fully adjustable BoMar but I could use just about any sight with a wide rear notch due to my aging eyes. I may replace the BoMar or "hog" out the notch.

9. Guide Rod and spring: I have several but the Lone Wolf solid steel guide rod does what it is supposed to do. It also allows me to change ISMI flat wire spring weight with little hassle.

10. I may get a titanium safety plunger to use with a standard plunger spring to see if there is a difference from using a standard plunger with a reduced power spring.

Why do this stuff? Why not? It ain't my only Glock.

17Lwmetaltrigger.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really enjoy reading about the modifications and experements you do with Glock’s. I wouldn’t dream of doing any of them because I’m terribly conservative with my firearms. Obviously your having a terrific time with what your doing though and that’s the way to be with a hobby.

Guest yzfMrLee

It's fun to tinker. Especially since you have more that 1 Glock. I like to tinker with mine too. Just not to that extreme. Have fun with your stuff!

I really enjoy reading about the modifications and experements you do with Glock’s. I wouldn’t dream of doing any of them because I’m terribly conservative with my firearms. Obviously your having a terrific time with what your doing though and that’s the way to be with a hobby.

I haven't seem any modifications which would offer a signifiant improvement to my glock. It and my 1911 are different designs and each performs well for it's intended use.

Guest Straight_Shooter

It's really cool that you're willing to make such extreme modifications to your guns. You do everything yourself?

The Cerakoting was done by a friend of mine here on the forum. Otherwise I do everything else. I sometimes mess around with 1911s and revolvers, but mostly stick with Glocks. Here is a 23C a SF soldier asked me to see if I could improve the grip without cutting off the humps. First a couple of things about Glocks. They do point differently than a 1911. I like the way the 1911 points so to that end you can do a few things to a Glock to get it to point flatter naturally without having to retrain. I like a SYA pistol to point fast and flat, like my index finger. I like a low bore axis pistol. I would use a HK P7 if I hadn't had a hand operation that crosses that pistol off my list of favorite pistols. The M&P is pretty good but hits a bone in my thumb funny so I no longer use that pistol. On the Glock as you take away material where the trigger guard meets the grip and take some off the backstrap you can bring the gun's natural point down a bit. The G19 in the previous photo is likely about as exteme as you can get without the frame falling apart, which may happen someday to that one, but hey, its a Glock. A more moderate approach to get a flat pointing Glock is to slice a G17 off to G19 length, take off a bit of the backstrap and cut up moderately into the trigger guard/grip area.

The most interesting thing I have found about a Glock grip is that if you simply radius the the edge where your second finger knuckle abuts the trigger guard the gun can become much more comfortable to shoot during long sessions at the range. I've also done some crude things to a Ruger MKIII 22/45 frame and of course reworked the internals on quite a few. I look at stock gun mods as nothing different than what we see in the evolution of the 1911. If it suits you stock good, if not modify it to suit you. No big deal either way.

G23Cwfingerhumpsstipppled.jpg

graycrait, do you use lighter-than-stock weight recoil springs?

If so, I've heard warnings about combining a 6# trigger spring with lighter-than-stock weight recoil spring.

I've never done it and if you have, I'd like to get your thoughts on it.

PS. What's on the backplate of that 23C?

The guy who owns the 23C had one of those belt clips on the gun. I tried one once upon a time but don't like the idea of a Glock out of a stiff holster with the typeo of trigger it has.

The only time I used lighter than stock recoil springs is when I had a multiported 17L barrel. Now that I don't use a ported barrel I use stock weight springs.

I bought some crazy 14.00 thumb rest gizmo and got it today, not the biggest waste of Glock money I have spent, but a totally worthless thing. I also installed a titanium safety plunger but feel no discernable difference from my polished stock plunger.

Biggest waste of Glock money so far:

1. CCF steel raceframe

2. J-point sight

3. Ported 17L barrel

4. Aftermarket G34 slide

5. Comonolli thumb safety and jig

As you can see in just these 5 items I could easily have had a couple of decent whole Glock pistols. Live and learn.

I do think I need a threaded 17L barrel and a Lone Wolf standard muzzle break:)

TNWNGR,

The CCF steel frame makes the Glock 34 weigh 52.8oz unloaded if memory serves. It also caused frame battering on aftermarket slides, not so much with stock Glock. The CCF locking block pretty much requires the use of a stock Glock barrel unless you mill the CCF locking block. I have not heard anything good about the CCF aluminum frame. I know of no one personally who has used the new Lone Wolf Timberwolf frame, although Lone Wolf is working on a 19/23 sized Timberwolf frame now.

Craig