What .22 for first rifle. (plus AR-10)

Hello,

I have an XDm-9 and am wanting to get a rifle. I want to build an AR-10 (I have shot M-16s a few times) but think the AR-10 would provide added versatility for hunting, etc. if needed, over an AR-15.

But I also think I need to get a simple .22 for target practice, small game hunting, etc.

I was thinking something along the lines of Savage 64FXP wich comes with a cheap scope, that looks like it'd be under $200 at the dealer.

22488 - Savage Model 64FXP Semi Automatic Rifle .22 Long Rifle 20.5" Barrel 10 Rounds Black Synthetic Stock Blued Finish

Any thoughts on the right .22?

Thanks!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are gonna build an AR-10 you might want to look at a dedicated .22 AR style rifle such as the S&W MP15-22.

Two must have .22s in my opinion are the Ruger 10/22 and the Henry .22 Lever Action. Both of which can be had for the ~$200 range if you search.

I agree a 6.8 spc II will give you a more versatile platform. It gives you the options of uppers for all AR-15 calibers. If I were using a .308 for solely hunting at longer distance, i would rather have a bolt action.

For practice and small game, the Ruger 10/22, Rem 597 or S&W M&P15-22 would be the options i would look at.

Thanks, I will check those out. The AR-10 was going to be primarily for home defense, but figured the .308 would be better for hunting in addition to home defense. I had not considered a 6.8. One thing I liked about the .308 was the availability of ammo, but I'll definately look into the 6.8 now too.

I believe the review of the ruger 10/22 by Nutnfancy was really good, so maybe I should spend a few bucks more than the savage and go with the ruger or similar :-)

Thanks!

There are a lot of great .22's out there. The 10/22 is probably the most popular by a wide margin. You gotta decide if you want an auto first. +1 on the CZ, but it's not a cheap rifle.

When it comes to the AR-15, you just can't beat the flexibility. You can up it to 6.8 SPC, or in my case, the .458 SOCOM (current build project). It won't replace a .308, but it will do a lot within the most common ranges.

There are a lot of great .22's out there. The 10/22 is probably the most popular by a wide margin. You gotta decide if you want an auto first. +1 on the CZ, but it's not a cheap rifle.

When it comes to the AR-15, you just can't beat the flexibility. You can up it to 6.8 SPC, or in my case, the .458 SOCOM (current build project). It won't replace a .308, but it will do a lot within the most common ranges.

Yes, I think I do want a semi-auto .22. What do you guys use for scopes on the .22s? ImpactGuns has a ruger 10/22 that comes with a red-dot scope. Is that enough for squirrels, rabits and the like? I would think a good set of iron sights would serve well enough?

As for the AR, I would assume that if I acquired multiple uppers down the road, I would have a dedicated lower for each. Other than "spare parts" by swapping lowers, what is the "interchangeability" advantage?

Thanks!

I like a real scope. Just make sure you get a rimfire scope. Their objectives are focused at shorter ranges. I use a Weaver 3-9 with adjustable objective on my 10/22. If you're hunting, you won't always have an unobstucted view of your target. A scope always helped me with that, even when I had great vision.

Regarding AR's... I have dedicated lowers for mine. There is something to be said for familiarity with the platform. It's also kinda like the 10/22. A huge number of available options. I like the AR-10, but it keeps getting bumped down my list of gotta have rifles. Between the AR-15's and my bolt guns, I probably won't ever own one.

Edited by mikegideon

I hate to be that guy, but what in the heck would you want a 308 for home defense for? Want to take your neighbors out with the intruders? Buy a cheap Remington 870 home defense for around $300 and actually be able to hit something if you need to use it. I am not saying you can't, but I firmly believe most people can hit "anything" with a shotgun at close range.

Then buy a 308 for hunting and 10/22 for plinking. Probably can still have them all for a similar price as you were looking at.

My two cents, but I get tickled everytime I hear someone wanting to use a large rifle for home defense. Just doesn't make sense (at least to me).

I hate to be that guy, but what in the heck would you want a 308 for home defense for? Want to take your neighbors out with the intruders? Buy a cheap Remington 870 home defense for around $300 and actually be able to hit something if you need to use it. I am not saying you can't, but I firmly believe most people can hit "anything" with a shotgun at close range.

Then buy a 308 for hunting and 10/22 for plinking. Probably can still have them all for a similar price as you were looking at.

My two cents, but I get tickled everytime I hear someone wanting to use a large rifle for home defense. Just doesn't make sense (at least to me).

Well, a shotgun is certainly a lot of firepower. I'm not so sure I agree that "anybody" can hit something with one at home defense ranges. You're talking small patterns at those ranges. I have an 870 for the house, but I know I gotta aim it.

Guest adamoxtwo
If you want to hunt with an AR, you don't have to go up to an AR-10. You could go with an AR-15 in 6.8 SPC and get a dedicated .22 upper.

+1

Guest adamoxtwo
Well, a shotgun is certainly a lot of firepower. I'm not so sure I agree that "anybody" can hit something with one at home defense ranges. You're talking small patterns at those ranges. I have an 870 for the house, but I know I gotta aim it.

If you are a novice I would agree with you, but if you spend the time at the range and shoot it enough you won't have to aim, but rather point for ranges under 30'. Reactive shooting allows you for a quicker site acquisition (so long as you have some muscle memory build up). However, it does depend on the load and barrel length.

If you are a novice I would agree with you, but if you spend the time at the range and shoot it enough you won't have to aim, but rather point for ranges under 30'. Reactive shooting allows you for a quicker site acquisition (so long as you have some muscle memory build up). However, it does depend on the load and barrel length.

Didn't really mean that. What I was trying to say... don't expect a 12" pattern at 30 feet. Gonna be more like 1 or 2. Point shooting IS aiming.

Guest adamoxtwo
Didn't really mean that. What I was trying to say... don't expect a 12" pattern at 30 feet. Gonna be more like 1 or 2. Point shooting IS aiming.

Gotcha. Point shooting is a reflex and it's pointing in an area so I don't consider that aiming because you don't use the sights