Moving from Indiana

Guest deadsquirrel

Guest deadsquirrel

Hey all,

Just accepted a job offer in Franklin so it looks like I will be moving to that area in a few weeks. I already stopped by the "Franklin Gun Store" when I had the interview. I need to learn the lay of the land and wanted some help from you guys on here. Keep in mind I know nothing of the area

Any highly recoommended gun stores in the area?

Best gun ranges?

Also, I have my Indiana handgun carry permit and I wanted to know if/when I need to transfer that to a TN one

Thanks!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to TN.

Since you'll have to surrendor your IN ID when you get your TN ID, I'd stop carrying until you get your TN HCP.

Looks like all you'll have to pay is the "renewal" fee and do a HCP course to get your handgun carry permit.

Applicant must be twenty-one (21), complete a DOS approved handgun safety course, complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, and pay the applicable renewal fee.

(Indiana requires applicant to be eighteen (18) years of age and to be fingerprinted. No handgun safety school required.)

Guest nicemac
Hey all,

Just accepted a job offer in Franklin so it looks like I will be moving to that area in a few weeks. I already stopped by the "Franklin Gun Store" when I had the interview. I need to learn the lay of the land and wanted some help from you guys on here. Keep in mind I know nothing of the area

Any highly recoommended gun stores in the area?

Best gun ranges?

Also, I have my Indiana handgun carry permit and I wanted to know if/when I need to transfer that to a TN one

Thanks!

I live just outside Franklin–Williamson county is a great place to live.

Franklin Gun Shop has a huge selection and despite what I have read in some posts, they have competitive prices for a brick and mortar store. They don't try to compete with online prices but you will find friendly, knowledgeable people there.

Great outdoor range ($40 per year family membership) just a couple of miles south of town, here:

CHMR

I had to live in IN for a year with a job transfer way back in the day. I was glad to leave…

Welcome to TN!

Guest Gopher6

Welcome to TN from a former So.Bend and Valpo resident. I would recommend Guns & Leather as a gun shop. I've been very happy with my 2 purchases there.

Guest deadsquirrel

Thanks for all the replies! I cannot believe the permit is so expensive in TN. I paid $120 for a LIFETIME permit in indiana. On the site is says $115 and then another 50 every 4 years. Still worth it but bummed it's so expensive

Welcome! Don't quote me on this, but here in Tennessee we don't have the kind of income tax that most staes have, so many times, when our state legislature passes a new law, they allow for fees to recoup some of the costs of enforcing or covering the costs of the law. I think that is why its so high compard to your old state. As a matter of fact, seems like I read somewhere that they are required to mention the costs in the actual bills before they even pass.

• 3 weeks later...

Because you have already had the gun permit in In., you will not have to pay the $115. I believe, but am not sure, you will have to pay the renewal rate or a little more.

Welcome from a born and raised Hoosier. I love it in TN.

Guest PapaB

Welcome to TGO and Tennessee. I moved here from NW Indiana and wish I'd done it sooner. Tennessee is a great place to live and you can't go wrong with Williamson County.