Lever Action Questions

MrBrian

The tang safety is far less obvious than the crossbolt safety and is IMHO a better system. What's happened with the Marlin through the frame cross bolt safety's is the system doesn't alway's work correctly and the safety was frozen or jammed in place. This either leave's you with a rifle you can't shoot or one you can't place on safe.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tang safety is far less obvious than the crossbolt safety and is IMHO a better system. What's happened with the Marlin through the frame cross bolt safety's is the system doesn't alway's work correctly and the safety was frozen or jammed in place. This either leave's you with a rifle you can't shoot or one you can't place on safe.

Well, news to me, I just never heard of that prob, and I used to haunt the Marlin forum.

I mean, it's the same safety that Remington has used since gawd knows when on rifles and shotguns and Marlin since '83 on the lever actions.

- OS

OhShoot, we’re talking about two entirely different approaches to crossbolt safeties here, one of which is part of the trigger group of the rifle, the other going through the rifles receiver. The Remington’s safety can stick or freeze up too, preventing this is part of keeping your rifle properly maintained. All it takes is a bit of corrosion or foreign debris to gum up a crossbolt safety. Tang safety’s can fail in the same way, I could write paragraphs about Mossberg 500 shotgun tang safeties.

OhShoot, we’re talking about two entirely different approaches to crossbolt safeties here, one of which is part of the trigger group of the rifle, the other going through the rifles receiver. The Remington’s safety can stick or freeze up too, preventing this is part of keeping your rifle properly maintained. All it takes is a bit of corrosion or foreign debris to gum up a crossbolt safety. Tang safety’s can fail in the same way, I could write paragraphs about Mossberg 500 shotgun tang safeties.

Well, is there a firearm part that can NOT fail? :)

- OS

There is always the option of just putting "the fix" on a Marlin with the cb safety and being done with it. Where there's a will there's a way !

LOL. I wondered when someone was going to bring that up. Takeing the safety out and plugging the hole's is up to the end user but yes it can be done. I'd rather wait until a used pre-crossbolt safety model is avaliable for sale than do that though.

OHShoot, firearms part's failure is a number's game, the law of averages will point out the most likely part's that will go tango uniform on you. But then out of no where the least likely part to fail, will.

I'm not saying that path is for everyone. And I'm not saying that's something I've done on every lever I have. But if someone is having trouble getting past it mentally, just like plastic surgery, "we can fit that", lmao.

Honestly I'd love to have the money and patience to capture every rifle on my list in pre safety fashion. Trouble with that is some of the best rifles, at least on the collector side of things, are being made now or have been made since the 1983 cb addition.

But it all works out because very few of them in the "collector" category get shot anyway :)

Edited by FUJIMO
By the way, there's someone out there that makes a PLUG for the crossbolt and if you never handled a Marlin you wouldn't know what use to be there. It's that smooth and nice.

Yep. I knew aout the plug inserts and how nice they look but some ot the others here may not have known.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Roadkill Bill

For cheap shooting, small game and killing cans, I'd go with a .22. However, having several lever guns in different calibers, my favorite is my Marlin 1894 in .357 mag. It won't break the bank with .38 reloads and it's a real hunting rifle (deer & hogs) with .357 loads. I don't care what company you go with, but the .357 is a terrific fun gun. If the coyote is running, it's great with open sights. Some folks use .22 on coons, but a coon can be pretty tough and I hate to make them suffer. A .38 SWC or HP does a nice job. It's actually more accurate at 100 yards than my Marlin .30-30. So from rabbits to deer it's practical caliber, and just a hoot to shoot.