Recommendation: 12 gauge over/under

Guest WyattEarp

For trap shooting I'd look at a used Citori with 30 or 32" barels. You can find the pre-XT ones in decent shape in that price range and they'll last thousands upon thousands of rounds. Will be a little heavier than a shorter field gun, but will be much better for any shotgun games and last forever.

Guest coldblackwind

I had a CZ, it was a really nice gun. Only over and under I've ever owned, but I wouldn't hesitate to point you that way.

Guest hillbilly007

CZ RedHead Delux.  I have one in 20 and had one in 12 that I NEVER should have traded.  Great balance, good looking, and inexpensive enough to not make you cringe while climbing over a fence.  Especially if it falls.<br>

Stoeger

This is just my opinion, and no offense intended, but the Stoeger's aren't anywhere close to the other options mentioned. My wife has an Upland, and we have a coach gun. Both are great, but not what most are looking for in a hunting or competition gun.

Used Citori?

If I could find an older Citori in good shape for less than $1,400, I would grab it in a heartbeat. I have seen a couple beaters in the $1,200 range, but nothing I would spend that kind of money on.

I have seen a few Red Label field guns in the $1,100 to $1,300 range.

If I could find an older Citori in good shape for less than $1,400, I would grab it in a heartbeat. I have seen a couple beaters in the $1,200 range, but nothing I would spend that kind of money on.

I have seen a few Red Label field guns in the $1,100 to $1,300 range.

I would say a used Citori trap will be above the grade of a Red Label in terms of longevity if you intend to put a lot of rounds downrange. I've shot a decent amount of trap, skeet, sporting, etc and I've seen a huge majority of Berettas, Brownings, Perazzi's, Kreighoffs, etc. I've seen way more 870's even than Ruger Red Labels in competitions. Could be just a local trend, but yeah.

Oddly enough, I know a guy who bought an older used Citori in AWESOME shape with extra choke tubes at Cabelas of all places for $1100. The deals are out there for sure.

Here was a deal on Trapshooters for $1300.

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/message.cfm?messageid=982685

Another for $1000:

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/message.cfm?messageid=986543

I would say a used Citori trap will be above the grade of a Red Label in terms of longevity if you intend to put a lot of rounds downrange. I've shot a decent amount of trap, skeet, sporting, etc and I've seen a huge majority of Berettas, Brownings, Perazzi's, Kreighoffs, etc. I've seen way more 870's even than Ruger Red Labels in competitions. Could be just a local trend, but yeah.

Oddly enough, I know a guy who bought an older used Citori in AWESOME shape with extra choke tubes at Cabelas of all places for $1100. The deals are out there for sure.

Here was a deal on Trapshooters for $1300.

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/...ssageid=982685

Another for $1000:

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/...ssageid=986543

Agree that the Browning is a slight notch above the Ruger . Thanks for the links. I will have to follow up with these sellers.

Edited by quietguy
Clarification
  • 3 weeks later...

I am not much of a a shotgunner so I know I am speaking out of turn. I like CZ's and I am sure the Brownings and Berettas are good but I did buy a Yildiz one time. really clean, nice wood, did have a aluminum frame so was kinda light but I got it in 20ga, had a 3 year warranty from Briley's. Got it for like 350 at Academy. If you are not going to shoot a bunch it might be worth considering.