Cheatham Co. Firing Range's

sigbear

I am new to Cheatham County and am looking for a outdoor firing range, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I understand there is one in Ashland City which would be close to me but I have no idea where it is.

Thanks,

Sigbear

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency - Firing Ranges Didn't give an address but heres a number...

Cheatham WMA Firing Range and Archery Range

Open 12:00 noon until dark every day. Fee required: Adult (age 16 or older - $5.50 for 2 hours), Youth (under 16 years of age - $1.50 for 2 hours). Must purchase the range entrance ticket from a TWRA license agent. No tickets available at the range. Use or possession of alcoholic beverages prohibited. Contact Randy Cromer (615) 792-4510.

Sigbear, the outdoor range is in the Cheatham Wildlife Management Area. Check their web site for information and directions: Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency - Firing Ranges. I'm planning to visit to sight-in some things sometime soon myself.

You will need to buy a pass from a TWRA vendor before going to the range. There's no attendant on-site. I've never seen TWRA check passes but I'm always are prepared if they choose that day. The range is very "basic". If you expect more than a place to shoot don't go there. No range master, minimal firing line set-up, no "facilities" etc. Backstops at 25, 50 & 100 yards. No handgun range other than the 25 yard one.

As you would expect, the situation can vary a lot depending on the crowd or lack of one. Things have always been OK when I was there. I've also heard some stories from that range that would cause me some concern but I guess that can happen anywhere. If I ever feel uncomfortable I'll just pack up and leave.

Sigbear, the outdoor range is in the Cheatham Wildlife Management Area. Check their web site for information and directions: Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency - Firing Ranges. I'm planning to visit to sight-in some things sometime soon myself.

You will need to buy a pass from a TWRA vendor before going to the range. There's no attendant on-site. I've never seen TWRA check passes but I'm always are prepared if they choose that day. The range is very "basic". If you expect more than a place to shoot don't go there. No range master, minimal firing line set-up, no "facilities" etc. Backstops at 25, 50 & 100 yards. No handgun range other than the 25 yard one.

As you would expect, the situation can vary a lot depending on the crowd or lack of one. Things have always been OK when I was there. I've also heard some stories from that range that would cause me some concern but I guess that can happen anywhere. If I ever feel uncomfortable I'll just pack up and leave.

yep, what he said. I might add that next Saturday (1st sat in Aug) there is a public drawing for waterfowl blinds at the reserve and you WILL choke on the gravel road dust from 1000+ people driving down that gravel road. Steer clear then unless (like me) you want to hunt ducks there in the fall and winter. People are usually ok there, you get the occasional goober like anywhere else. take hiway 49 W in front of the courthouse about 3 miles and turn left onto Petway rd (hiway250) go approx 5 miles turn left into the Cheatham WMA range is on the lef. You can purchase a day use permit at that store on the corner.

I was there about a month ago for the first time. If you want to shoot a pistole there is only 1 place made to set a target fram (PVC pipes in the ground). My suggetion is to take your own frame and just figure-out a way to set it on the ground. Make sure and take plenty of water!

I was there about a month ago for the first time. If you want to shoot a pistole there is only 1 place made to set a target fram (PVC pipes in the ground). My suggetion is to take your own frame and just figure-out a way to set it on the ground. Make sure and take plenty of water!

Been there quite a few times and yes, it may be a good idea to take some kind of "frame" for a target, i've seen their frames pretty trashed out not hardly capable of attaching a target. And bring plenty of your own paper targets and a staple gun, some people must think there's targets available there and while I don't mind sharing while i'm there but I don't have enough for everybody.:) All the people i've encountered there have all been nice and at least experienced enough to be safe, everybody has always been in agreement and follows range hot or range cold rules for changing targets. And I have never seen a warden come by to check range permits but i'm more than glad to pay for one if the money goes to the WMA's. It's a place to shoot, it may not be the nicest or most modern range but you can have some fun or sight in your rifle for deer season. Reloaders can always find some good brass laying on the ground also.

I don't think this violates any copywrite to post, it's from the TWRA website.

[h=2]Cheatham WMA[/h]In Cheatham County. 20,810 acres. Good deer and turkey hunting. Good squirrel hunting. Regenerating clear cuts, lots of standing hardwood, big and small foodplots, a checking station and a firearm range are included in this WMA. See hunting guide for more information.

Directions: From Ashland City, take Hwy 49 toward Charlotte. Cross the river and continue four miles to Hwy. 250. Turn left onto Hwy 250 and go four miles to the WMA entrance, on your left. The check station is three miles from the entrance and maps are outside the check station. The firing range is on the left before you get to the check station and is open noon until dark daily.

Manager: Randy Cromer (615) 792-4510

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

It varies a lot depending on the time of year and weather.  Right now with no hunting season coming up the crowd should less but the long freeze + a nice day will probably draw a crowd.  Will definitely be muddy for a while with the thawing ice, etc.