Grandfather's guns

Guest seawolf138

Guest seawolf138

My grandfather passed away last year in Montana, and while my grandmother and aunt were cleaning out the storage last month they found his stash of firearms. I don't know what's there, and I can't at this point remember how many they told me, but I want to say it was 7 or 8. None of my family in Montana wants them so my grandmother is going to ship them to me. Now, I know I need to go through an FFL to get these guns, so I guess my question is through where? I know everyone charges around $35 for the transfer, but is that gonna be for each gun? Cause this could add up quick.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

might want to make sure, depending on what they are, to have someone there who is knowledgable before they ship off.

There are more than a couple of WWII and KW "bring overs" that may run afowl of class III laws if you are not careful. Believe it or not this happens quite a bit as some of the greatest generation has passed on.

If they can give you some pictures first it might help you ID them. If you are lucky it will be a bunch of GI 1911s.

FWIW - even if you get slapped with $25 each the gun will be worth more if you don't want them.

Guest seawolf138

It is indeed...went there every summer from 86-97, been several times since, but how is that gonna help me get the guns home? :screwy:

Legally, inherited guns do not need to be transferred through an FFL.

Shipping can be problematic, but long guns may be shipped via USPS, UPS Ground, and Fedex Ground, and federal law says that guns NOT going to a license holder must be declared to the shipper, so in practicality, you may find that they must be sent to FFL.

If that turns out to be the only option, you definitely need to find one that will either just charge you a fee for handling the shipment, or if they insist on actually doing 4473 transfer, one that will do them all for one fee rather than charge for each. Perhaps a notarized document of some sort could let an FFL not do 4473 but simply charge for handling the shipment? I dunno, ask around.

You might also look into having them sent by a moving company, all in one or two crates; last time I did cursory look into this, long guns are okay, but you'll need to insure them for all they are worth, of course.

- OS

Guest seawolf138

If I could make that work Mike, I would be all over it, but my car is not in the kind of shape required for that kind of long haul, and I can't take that much time off work right now. Maybe I'll consider flying up later in the year, and renting a car to drive back, but this also means looking into firearm laws in each state I will cross to find out what the laws involving transport are.

If I could make that work Mike, I would be all over it, but my car is not in the kind of shape required for that kind of long haul, and I can't take that much time off work right now. Maybe I'll consider flying up later in the year, and renting a car to drive back, but this also means looking into firearm laws in each state I will cross to find out what the laws involving transport are.

Federal law (Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986) allows you to take one's own firearms from any place they are legal to possess to any other place they are legal to posses. No worries there, long as they are unloaded and any ammo is well separated (best even locked up in container).

- OS

Guest coldblackwind

On the car issue, I've had that problem going to NY a couple times. Budget will rent you a car with unlimited mileage for like $100-200 a week. At least that was the rate when I did it a few years ago. But yeah, pick em up! Great excuse for a trip!

Guest seawolf138

They can and currently are being stored, and will continue to be until I get them, get them sent, or my grandmother changes her mind and gives them to someone else (the latter being something I absolutely do not want, but will happen if I take to long)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk