It's The Magazines, Stupid

So from the time I assembled my AR I had some issues with feeding. When I inserted the loaded clip and pulled the bolt, the round often didnt go into the chamber and I had to pull back several times before it worked.

Once in I didnt have too many problems.

I chalked it up to the gun being new or whatever.

It got annoying. I tried an old Colt clip and it was even worse.

Finally I got the bright idea that it might be the clip.

So while I was ordering stuff I also ordered an H&K. I figured Wolfgang knew a thing or two about metal fabrication and finishing.

It is a very nice production.

I took it out today and tried it. No problems of any kind. I also tried the new Magpuls and they didnt work as well.

The H&Ks are about $40, which is a lot of money. But given it is the heart of a gun costing several hundreds of dollars and a pretty critical piece that didnt seem unreasonable.

Moral of the story: start with the right clips, don't stint on them.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a good moral, putting low-quality magazines in an expensive gun is like putting Wal-mart special tires on a Ferrarri.

That said, my gun runs flawlessly with PMAGs that can be had for under $15 and D&H magazines that cost even less.

Two things:

1) They are called magazines Bill! Get your head out of the Ghetto!:D

2) Do I even have to point out the fact that you can dig an AK magazine out of the mud load em up with lacquer coated steel cased dirty comblock ammo and load it into a crappy Kalashnacopy(Like that Century you had in the shop) and proceed to reliably destroy anything within 300 yards without as much as a hiccup! Ahhhh...accept no substitute.:P Although I would take Kahrman's 45/70 lever carbine!

It's a clip. I have decided to call it that just to annoy the TC types.

If you kept your rifles properly Urse you wouldn't have those issues and you would be able to enjoy the superior ergonomics and performance of a modern Western designed weapon.

Guest gcrookston

You may also want to look at the magpul clips. I myself have never had any real issues with AR military mags. In fact, I almost exclusively use Colt 20 rounders in my Sig556 and AR rifles. Several over the years I've had to rebuild with kits I bought from brownells and some have been discarded due to bent lips.

Sorry, couldn't resist:

MagazinenotClip-1.jpg

It's a clip. I have decided to call it that just to annoy the TC types.

I'm with you. The guys I have coffee with (I'm the youngster of the group) always call them clips. My daddy called them clips. He was right on everything. You better not insult my daddy! :D

I'm with you. The guys I have coffee with (I'm the youngster of the group) always call them clips. My daddy called them clips. He was right on everything. You better not insult my daddy! :D

That's cause they actually used clips to load the magazine. :D

Dang newfangled technology!:D