1911 Troubleshooting

Guest stevieb615

Guest stevieb615

Ok. Same old story you've heard 1000 times on the internet. My 1911 is having problems and I need help.

Bought the gun new in the spring. Started putting rounds through it to break it in, I'd get about 1 or 2 jams for every 100 rounds. Jams always seemed to be random in nature: stovepipes, FTE, FTF, nosediving rounds. At about round number 300, every round started stovepiping. Took it to the gentleman at the range counter, he clearly pointed out my extractor had broken. Sent the gun back to Taurus and they replaced the extractor. I've put about another 300-400 rounds through it since i've had it back. now I have about 4-5 jams for every 100 rounds, and all of them are stovepiping. What should I do? Send it back to Taurus? Take it to a gunsmith and tell them what's going on and let them diagnose and fix the problem? And don't troll me and tell me to sell it because it's a Taurus because A) it's just a range gun, not a carry gun and :rolleyes: it's the first gun I ever bought, I'll keep it for a long time.

Thanks in advance for the knowledge that's about to be dropped.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would guess one of two things, the recoil spring needs replaced, or the weapon is traveling to much when it is fired. I say that because the extractor has been replaced, but the new extractor might be screwed up somehow.

I think I would want it made right by the manufacturer if it is new.

Guest stevieb615
I would guess one of two things, the recoil spring needs replaced, or the weapon is traveling to much when it is fired. I say that because the extractor has been replaced, but the new extractor might be screwed up somehow.

I think I would want it made right by the manufacturer if it is new.

Is it as simple as calling Taurus and saying, "hey, here's what my gun is doing. I want it to shoot without jamming." Because that's pretty much what I did last time and this is the result that I got. If it means it'd get fixed right, I'd much rather just pay a quality gunsmith to do it right the first time.

Edited by stevieb615
I can't spell

Spend $15 on a quality extractor. I suspect the extractor is too loose in the firing pin stop to maintain the correct clocked position. This is why it is random. Sometimes it is in the correct position and other times the extractor has rotated. While you are at it you may as well buy a new firing pin stop. Make sure both are from the same maker, I have used Ed Brown stuff for a very, very long time and never had an issue. And if your buy the Ed Brown extractor and firing pin stop they generally require no fitting but are very tight together.

And finally, buy some quality grease. Put it on the rails, locking lugs and on the end of the barrel where it passes throguh the bushing. You would be surprized how much of a difference using grease on a 1911 can have on reliability.

Dolomite

Guest stevieb615
Spend $15 on a quality extractor. I suspect the extractor is too loose in the firing pin stop to maintain the correct clocked position. This is why it is random. Sometimes it is in the correct position and other times the extractor has rotated. While you are at it you may as well buy a new firing pin stop. Make sure both are from the same maker, I have used Ed Brown stuff for a very, very long time and never had an issue. And if your buy the Ed Brown extractor and firing pin stop they generally require no fitting but are very tight together.

And finally, buy some quality grease. Put it on the rails, locking lugs and on the end of the barrel where it passes throguh the bushing. You would be surprized how much of a difference using grease on a 1911 can have on reliability.

Dolomite

I think you may be right. I just looked at the rear end of the slide (i'm guessing that's the firing pin stop? i'm still learning these things) and the rear end of the extractor does not sit flush, it's sticking out by a fraction of a hair, but a noticeable bit. does that help confirm your hypothesis?

Be very careful changing out extractors if you are not familiar with it, There is an art to it that experienced Gun Smiths have that make it look simple, but bending them to the wrong degree will cause you nothing but grief. Take it to a gunsmith spend a few bucks and make sure it is done right. Taurus is notorious for putting poorly fitted extractors along with other inferior parts in their 1911 pistols

Good Luck

Guest stevieb615
Be very careful changing out extractors if you are not familiar with it, There is an art to it that experienced Gun Smiths have that make it look simple, but bending them to the wrong degree will cause you nothing but grief. Take it to a gunsmith spend a few bucks and make sure it is done right. Taurus is notorious for putting poorly fitted extractors along with other inferior parts in their 1911 pistols

Good Luck

I won't do it myself. Anyone have recommendations on a gunsmith who's great with 1911's?

Guest stevieb615
How far away is Syrna from Knoxville?

Do you ever get to Knoxville?

Dolomite

3+ hours. But I am making a trip out to the cookeville area later this month. why? Good guy out there?

I won't do it myself. Anyone have recommendations on a gunsmith who's great with 1911's?

It's a bit of a haul (probably just under an hour from Smyrna), but Jeff Walle at Guns & Leather in Greenbrier knows his way around the 1911 platform, and then some. Give him a call before you buy parts.

It's a bit of a haul (probably just under an hour from Smyrna), but Jeff Walle at Guns & Leather in Greenbrier knows his way around the 1911 platform, and then some. Give him a call before you buy parts.
Jeff is both a master gunsmith and shooter,prolly the best in the state.
Guest nicemac

Have you tried different ammo?

The mechanics of the gun are the same with every firing. The variable with every shot is the round loaded in to the chamber. If every round was stove piping, I would look at the gun. If four or five out of 100 are stove piping, I would look at my ammo.

Guest nicemac
Not really. The extractor, if not properly fitted, can rotate in its slot and change it clock position with every fired round. And when it rotates out of the correct position it can cause problems.

Dolomite

Agreed. But I think I would try different ammo before paying a gunsmith...

Agreed. But I think I would try different ammo before paying a gunsmith...

I'll also agree. It is second nature for me to try different ammo so it normally slips my mind when making recommendations.

Extractors aren't some sort of vodoo magic. I found that the last time I replaced mine I used a Ed Brown extractor with his firing pin stop. It required no fitting between the two. I figured I would try it without tweaking the extractor and it has been fine for over 1,000 rounds now. Took about 5 minutes to swap them out and it works wonderfully now.

Dolomite

Guest stevieb615
Have you tried different ammo?

The mechanics of the gun are the same with every firing. The variable with every shot is the round loaded in to the chamber. If every round was stove piping, I would look at the gun. If four or five out of 100 are stove piping, I would look at my ammo.

I do use different ammo, but since it's just a rec gun, i have no intentions of running high dollar ammo through it. winchester, federal, tul, fiocchi is pretty much what gets run through it.

Guest stevieb615
Not really. The extractor, if not properly fitted, can rotate in its slot and change it clock position with every fired round. And when it rotates out of the correct position it can cause problems.

Dolomite

like i said before, i can visibly see with my naked eye that the extractor isn't seated properly.

Guest Plainsman
like i said before, i can visibly see with my naked eye that the extractor isn't seated properly.
It is common for them to protrude a little from the rear of the slide. This is so they can be sanded flush for a better looking fit. Most replacement extractors are also gong to be long.

Dolomite

Dolomite is correct here, as the length of the extractor at the rear of the slide really has nothing to do with its function. I'm also with Dolomite on it being an extractor issue rather than spring weight. However, I would take five minutes to simply check for extractor tension before buying anything and then go from there. Again, his thinking of extractor rotation may be correct due to parts being poorly fit but just take it step by step.

Guest stevieb615
Dolomite is correct here, as the length of the extractor at the rear of the slide really has nothing to do with its function. I'm also with Dolomite on it being an extractor issue rather than spring weight. However, I would take five minutes to simply check for extractor tension before buying anything and then go from there. Again, his thinking of extractor rotation may be correct due to parts being poorly fit but just take it step by step.

great video! Just used the technique in the video to check my extractor. It would not even hold a snap cap in place there was so much room. about 1mm-2mm gap between the extractor edge and the rim of the cartridge. here's some crappy pics if you want to see.

PT1911 Extractor | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

PT 1911 Extractor (2) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Plainsman, Dolomite, anyone else, check out those pictures and tell me what you think. Thanks again.

That might be the problem as well. But I suspect it clocking is causing more of an issue because it is more random. Any way you shake it you probably need another extractor and probably a firing pin stop.

1911 AUTO FIRING PIN STOP - Brownells

1911 AUTO MATCH EXTRACTOR - Brownells

They are a tight fit but they generally do not need to have any fitting between the two. When putting them in first make sure the firing pin stop goes into place without the extractor in place. Next check the fit between the extractor and the side of the firing pin stop. If they fit together, like I said they are going to be snug, then you should be good to go.

To make installation easier do this. First install the extractor and get it close. Next put the firing pin stop in place without the firing pin in place. This helps make sure the firing pin stop and extractor are in proper alignment without the pressure from the firing pin spring. The extractor should be tight enough to stay put without the firing pin stop in place. After they go together the firing pin stop seats all the way, slide it back just enough to insert the firing pin and spring. Push those down and slide the firing pin stop bsck into place.

It also seems that the extractor hook needs to be closer to the cartridge itself in the pictures. If it will not hold the cartridge in place then there is a tension issue but the tension can be adjusted. The nose is also a bit too far forward and there is no way to correct that really. You could try filing the nose a bit more but there isn't enough material to totally fix the problem. This pushes the cartridge forward off the breech face when not in the locked position. In the locked position the extractor is being pushed away from the cartridge by the angled potion of the rim. This could be tweeking your extractor and causing it to loose tension because it is being flexed with every shot. A 1911 extractor isn't desined to flex or bend all the time, the cartridge rim slides in under the extractor hook during cycling. You should never drop the slide on a loaded round in a 1911 as it will cause extractor isses eventually.

Dolomite

Guest nicemac
I do use different ammo, but since it's just a rec gun, i have no intentions of running high dollar ammo through it. winchester, federal, tul, fiocchi is pretty much what gets run through it.

Sorry, but I never suggested "high dollar" ammo, just different ammo, as you never addressed the ammo you were using in your post-and ammo is commonly the issue where you have 4 or 5 jams out of 100 rounds…