New Spyderco Sage 3

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just ordered one of these Guys it looks to be a really cool knife. I have always liked Spyderco I have owned several but have not bought a new one in a long while. This one caught my eye

Spyderco Sage 3 Bolt Action G-10

I guess more than anything I bought it as a tribute to Blackie Collins, may he rest in peace

C123GBL_M.jpg

It's bound to be nice one, I mean, how could it not be? :D

The only mystery with Spyderco is why they introduce so many fairly similar knives, but then discontinue most of them after a year or three. Then the price jumps as folks ferret them out!

Speaking of Blackie, in feeding my (admittedly, somewhat obsessive) search for the perfect all around necker, I just recently picked up an relatively inexpensive model he designed for Meyerco, the Law Dog. Man I love it, enough so that I sent it off to a feller to make a better Kydex sheath for it. It's apparently been discontinued, so actually bought a second one to stash. Can't imagine why they discontinued this puppy.

LawDog.jpg

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

It does look like an Axis lock Fred, that was the second thing that struck me after the Blue G-10

Eric,

I bought it off a power seller on Ebay I paid $107.95 shipped so I was very hapy with the deal the guy just emailed me it will ship this AM if you want the same deal I got ,This knife has a great Blade steel as well S30V may be the ticket for you http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Spyderco-C123GPBL-Sage-3-Bolt-Action-Knife-G10-S30V-/190510457530#ht_5294wt_1042

Edited by willis68
  • Admin Team

Speaking of Blackie, in feeding my (admittedly, somewhat obsessive) search for the perfect all around necker, I just recently picked up an relatively inexpensive model he designed for Meyerco, the Law Dog. Man I love it, enough so that I sent it off to a feller to make a better Kydex sheath for it. It's apparently been discontinued, so actually bought a second one to stash. Can't imagine why they discontinued this puppy.

LawDog.jpg

- OS

Mac, I need to see if I can get some pics of an old Blackie Collins necker from probably 25 years ago. I grew up hanging out in a brass foundry that one of my dad's friends owned and ran. He was good friends with Blackie, and they bartered a lot of work over the years. My dad's friend did some brass work for him, and Blackie made him a couple of one-of-a-kind knives. Oddly enough, one of them was a neck knife almost identical to your Myerco find above.

I may have to pick one up just for nostalgia's sake.

Mac, I need to see if I can get some pics of an old Blackie Collins necker from probably 25 years ago. I grew up hanging out in a brass foundry that one of my dad's friends owned and ran. He was good friends with Blackie, and they bartered a lot of work over the years. My dad's friend did some brass work for him, and Blackie made him a couple of one-of-a-kind knives. Oddly enough, one of them was a neck knife almost identical to your Myerco find above.

I may have to pick one up just for nostalgia's sake.

Bryan,

That is really cool, see if you can find some pictures I think that it is awesome that you Knew Blackie when you were a kid ;)

• Admin Team

I think I only met him one time, despite being in that shop multiple times a week for many years. Of course as a 14 year-old kid, boy scout, etc... I was fascinated by the concept of a neck knife. I think that is what made me remember him, out of all the really cool people who visited that shop over the years. Also by just watching someone turn a piece of metal into a functional blade, I think he's probably responsible for my custom knife fascination to this day.

Thinking back on it, what really stands out to me now is how one person can make such a difference in a kid's life without doing much more than just providing the opportunity to learn. In reality, I was really just there with my dad who was hanging out with some other Vietnam vets who were all probably watching out for each other a little bit. Nonetheless, his friend really gave me a place to explore and learn for myself. If I think back to it now, the thing I remember most clearly is that he was completely willing to let me either completely screw something up or figure it out for myself before offering to show me the "right" way to do a task. That guy taught me everything I know about blacksmithing and working metal by hand, yet I know that he would say that what he did was completely insignificant, and he was just passing on some knowledge.

...I may have to pick one up just for nostalgia's sake.

(re Meyerco Law Dog)

If you are, might oughtta go ahead and grab one, I only found 2 or 3 places that actually still have them. Only one on eBay, even.

I used BladeHQ:

Meyerco Blackie Collins Law Dog Knife w/ Neck Sheath (2.25" Black Plain) - Blade HQ

Sheath didn't retain well enough to suit me, so I heated it some and smushed it here and there to hold better. But beware, it's thermoplastic of some sort, not kydex, and I actually melted a bit on the edge right off. I did get it to hold pretty well, but it's thicker than optimum.

At any rate, as I mentioned, though, I sent off to have a good kydex sheath made for it, which costs slightly more than the knife itself.

That's the dirty little secret about neck knives -- the sheath is as important as the dang knife.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

It came in the mail a few hours ago and I must say after owning approximately 30 Spyderco knives over the years, this one opens and closes faster than any other. The locking mechanism is sheer Genius and nearly closes the blade when moved. I would have to say this is by far my favorite non stainless Spyderco and a great little carry knife

It came in the mail a few hours ago and I must say after owning approximately 30 Spyderco knives over the years, this one opens and closes faster than any other. The locking mechanism is sheer Genius and nearly closes the blade when moved. I would have to say this is by far my favorite non stainless Spyderco and a great little carry knife

I'm sold. I'll order mine in a week or so!

• 2 weeks later...