How to change a local law about knives CLARKSVILLE

Guest msparks

Guest msparks

It seems from what I've read that Clarksville has a 3" limit on pocket knives.

Being a military town I would guess that a high percentage of veterans are breaking the law every day if they carry one of the common clip style pocket knives.

I know all of mine except 2 have a blade long than 3" but less than 4".

Any help on this matter would be appreciate

To me, this is a perfect example of why individual communities should not be allowed to enact laws on such things as "weapons" that are different than the state the community is in. It's damn difficult enough to keep track of current state laws let alone all the stupid laws of every little town and village in the state.

I'd suggest joining the TFA and help them work toward doing away with this "opt out" garbage.

I'd suggest joining the TFA and help them work toward doing away with this "opt out" garbage.

TFA isn't really a knife right org, dunno if they care or not.

KnifeRights.org might be more appropriate.

But yeah, however it can be accomplished, knives need at least same preemption that guns and ammo have under TN law.

There are LOTS more local city/county knife laws around TN and the rest of the US than gun laws.

- OS

Guest msparks
thought about contacting your local elected officials?

Yes, but am looking for some other ideas.

I plan on writing a letter to my city councilmen.

TFA isn't really a knife right org, dunno if they care or not.

KnifeRights.org might be more appropriate.

But yeah, however it can be accomplished, knives need at least same preemption that guns and ammo have under TN law.

There are LOTS more local city/county knife laws around TN and the rest of the US than gun laws.

- OS

While not its primary focus, TFA is concerned about "arms", not just firearms. More importantly, TFA is trying to get the legislature to do away with ridiculous "opt out" provisions that allow every little town to adopt it's own laws/ignore state law.

Granted, we need to change some of the stupid laws regarding knives, batons, etc. but in the meantime, Clarksville or Murfreesboro or any other "burg" shouldn't be able to enact laws that are more restrictive than state law.

I talked to a Clarksville City Council member that I know, and looked at the code and yes, inside the city limits of Clarksville, the blade limit is 3 inches. I've started a conversation about how to change this, but not sure its going to do any good.

I have always felt that a HCP should allow the person to carry any sort of melee weapon (knife, stick, nunchucks, whatever). In the long run I would have anyone able to carry anything, but this would be a small step/victory and encourage more people to get a HCP!

• Like 2
I talked to a Clarksville City Council member that I know, and looked at the code and yes, inside the city limits of Clarksville, the blade limit is 3 inches. I've started a conversation about how to change this, but not sure its going to do any good.

I would go to a city council meeting and ask them to explain why they believe that knife with a 3" blade is "safer" or more "Okay" than one with a 3 1/2" or 4" blade?

I'd also ask how someone traveling through Clarksville is supposed to know that Clarksville has a more restrictive law than the State of Tennessee?

I wonder if there is signage warning people of this law? Dose the city council expect every person traveling through Clarksville to review the city codes before they cross into the city limits?

I'm not sure but doesn't Clarksville city limits take in any part of the interstate and if so, is it possible that Clarksville PD could stop a motorists (say for speeding) who is just passing through, with no intentions of even stopping in Clarksville, and be carrying an "illegal" knife and be charged with same? Is such a charge a minor misdemeanor or a felony?

Guest msparks

I'm sure 99% of people on the street have no clue on this law. Since we are located next to Ft. Campbell I would guess most soldiers carry a knife larger than 3". Do they even make a pocket clip (tactical) knife under 3"? All of mine are about 3 1/2 to 3 7/8 in length.

Edited by msparks
Guest msparks

Talked with Bill Summers today. He's going to ask the Chief of Police about it and bring it up to the safety committee.

BTW this has been on the books since 1963. Wonder who in the right mind enacted something like this. Must have been a rash of stabbings with 3 1/2" knives. Jeez.

I'm not sure but doesn't Clarksville city limits take in any part of the interstate and if so, is it possible that Clarksville PD could stop a motorists (say for speeding) who is just passing through, with no intentions of even stopping in Clarksville, and be carrying an "illegal" knife and be charged with same?

Unless there is a federal safe passage law on knives, its possible; not probable, but possible. There is specific Federal Safe Passage law on firearms, but it doesn’t mention knives.

I guess it’s like with guns or anything else…. You better know the law. Maybe we need to have a sign with a little baby knife at all Clarksville exits. You know, like they do with the .08% and helmet signs.

Unless there is a federal safe passage law on knives, its possible; not probable, but possible. There is specific Federal Safe Passage law on firearms, but it doesn’t mention knives.

I guess it’s like with guns or anything else…. You better know the law. Maybe we need to have a sign with a little baby knife at all Clarksville exits. You know, like they do with the .08% and helmet signs.

To me this is just one of thousands of examples of worthless, meaningless government intrusion where is has no business intruding.

I fully support the concept that a person needs to know the laws where he lives; such is clearly the resident's responsibility. However, it is ridiculous for society to expect a non-resident...a traveler to know every single law of every little podunk jurisdiction he might pass through getting from point A to point B.

Before this post, I had no idea that the pocket knife I carry every day means I was committing a crime every time I've been in Clarksville! I can only wonder how many other laws I violate every single time I travel!

It's too bad that city council's can't concentrate on punishing those who misuse tools (like a knife, firearm, baseball bat, billy club, etc.) rather than the tool (i.e. how long the blade of the knife happens to be)!

To me this is just one of thousands of examples of worthless, meaningless government intrusion where is has no business intruding.

I fully support the concept that a person needs to know the laws where he lives; such is clearly the resident's responsibility. However, it is ridiculous for society to expect a non-resident...a traveler to know every single law of every little podunk jurisdiction he might pass through getting from point A to point B.

Before this post, I had no idea that the pocket knife I carry every day means I was committing a crime every time I've been in Clarksville! I can only wonder how many other laws I violate every single time I travel!

It's too bad that city council's can't concentrate on punishing those who misuse tools (like a knife, firearm, baseball bat, billy club, etc.) rather than the tool (i.e. how long the blade of the knife happens to be)!

You would probably be surprised at how many traffic laws you violate on a daily basis that is state laws.

When I see these types of questions involving the police “finding†stuff my first question would be; how did we get from you speeding on the interstate to the Police having you out of your car searching you. That is usually the answer to why people are being arrested on this type stuff.

This knife law could be one of those old laws that are still on the books but not enforced anymore.

You would probably be surprised at how many traffic laws you violate on a daily basis that is state laws.

When I see these types of questions involving the police “finding†stuff my first question would be; how did we get from you speeding on the interstate to the Police having you out of your car searching you. That is usually the answer to why people are being arrested on this type stuff.

This knife law could be one of those old laws that are still on the books but not enforced anymore.

Frankly, I doubt I violate very many traffic laws that I'm not aware of...most of the traffic laws I violate I do so with intent. :)

I see no compelling reason why any city, county or any other jurisdiction needs to have laws which are different than state laws governing the same activity/action...if a 4 inch blade on a knife is legal as far as the State of Tennessee is concerned then it ought to be good enough for all of Tennessee, Clarksville included - if it isn't...if Clarksvills doesn't like the state law then the place it needs to be changed is at the state level.

.......if Clarksvills doesn't like the state law then the place it needs to be changed is at the state level.

Very few states seem to have preemption for knife laws. I've never quite fathomed the reasoning, but that fact sure makes a daunting task for orgs like KnifeRights.

- OS

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ArmaDeFuego

Wow this is really stupid. I wish I would have known about this before I started buying knives. I think all the ones I got so far have a blade length longer than 3 inches.

Having met a ton of Clarksville police officers (I went through the Citizens Police Academy & have done God knows how many ride alongs) I would venture to say that 99% of them would care less if they happened to find that you have a knife with a 4 inch long blade instead of a 3 inch long blade, especially if you have a HCP & a clean record. Thats not to say that you wont run into that officer in the other 1% category that would try to bust you for it, but I really dont think thats all that likely around here.

But yea this is a really dumb law. As I've said many many times before, the HCP in Tennessee SHOULD give you the right to carry more weapons than just a pistol. Like a switchblade knife for example. I would like for ANYONE to explain to me why I can carry a handgun that can be lethal at several yards but I cant carry a switchblade knife? How silly is that?

Jeff Burkhart is my council member. I might have to drop him a line about this. I'm pretty sure he would think it is a dumb law also. Most knife laws are really outdated anyways. Like I said, I can carry a pistol but not a switchblade? Thats a throwback to earlier in the century when concealed carry wasnt really big like it is now.....

Jeff Burkhart is my council member. I might have to drop him a line about this. I'm pretty sure he would think it is a dumb law also. Most knife laws are really outdated anyways. Like I said, I can carry a pistol but not a switchblade? Thats a throwback to earlier in the century when concealed carry wasnt really big like it is now.....

Please do, it would help us all if every city council person knew about this. While I agree most cops probably don't care. The key is that I care and you care. We try our best not to violate the law. So when I stupid one comes up, have a conscience choice to make. I would rather do what I can to change it so we can all be within the law.

Please do, it would help us all if every city council person knew about this. While I agree most cops probably don't care. The key is that I care and you care. We try our best not to violate the law. So when I stupid one comes up, have a conscience choice to make. I would rather do what I can to change it so we can all be within the law.

Best for all of us to get knives included with firearms in the state preemption statute 39-17-1314. Just needs addition of the one word "knives".

- OS

Guest ArmaDeFuego
Best for all of us to get knives included with firearms in the state preemption statute 39-17-1314. Just needs addition of the one word "knives".

- OS

Sounds like a great idea to me! Good luck getting a politician to listen to that idea. Its too rational & makes too much sense. :P

[h=6]10:15 PM, Sep. 18, 2011[/h]A 23-year-old Fort Campbell soldier was charged with two counts of aggravated assault after an incident in which he claimed to be acting in self-defense, according to a report from the Clarksville Police Department.

I'm sure this doesn't bode well for the cause. Any way to find out how big the knife was?

Here is the response I got last night from Bill Summers my City Council person.

I have talked with the police and confirmed the blade length in local law. The response seems positive to changing to match state law. The police usually charge violators against state law due to the tougher punishment. Max city fine is only $50 plus court costs.

I will work with the police and city legal on a potential change. November will be the earliest this would make the council for a vote. The city legal office lost a lawyer this week and is up to its ears in work. So they dictate the schedule to a large degree in getting ordinances ready.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks

Bill

It seems likely that we might be able to get this changed. I'm going to offer to go speak on this if necessary.