New Bullet Trap

Dad03

I guess I was too bored tonight. Ended up in the shop putting together a new bullet trap. I have seen a few of these on the internet seem like they worked well. I have been using one with an angled flat back but this seemed easier and cleaner to capture lead for recasting.

The opening is roughly 13" by 11" all sides about 20 degree angles. Just under 100 lbs. Need to put some support legs under the opening. Its tippy.

Going to test it out tommorow .22, 40 S&W and 45acp. if all goes well i will do the final welding and paint.

IMG00711.jpg

IMG00710.jpg

Edited by Dad03
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought hard about one like that, but what I ended up with is a box full of tire rubber. I can acually pull out compleate bullets from it.

I am a luck one & can get plenty of tire rubber. :)

Hmmmm.

I wonder how a box or barrell of rubber mulch from Home Depot, etc, would work ?

I also wonder where one might get chipped /shredded tires in the Knoxville Area ?

I would be concerned bout the homedepot stuff bein too pricey to match the tire rubber quality for heat resistance....just hazard light drive slow on i40 and sweep as you go haha. Id just ask a used tire shop if they got scrap or who they send it to, see if they'll give u a deal.

via EPIC4G SRF1.1.0 by Android Creative Syndicate

Dad03 keep us posted(w pics) on the finished product..looks neat. Maybe if you weld 3 bars onto the catch tube base and set to dry into a concrete slab base bout 15x15x2 it would give it solidity but still let you handcart it around..unless u put a twowheel dolly cart system on the slab at the back to make it easier yet

via EPIC4G SRF1.1.0 by Android Creative Syndicate

Tire rubber??? Good lord, how much do you want? Anyone needing any junk tires for a project like this PM me. I will fix you up.
I would be concerned bout the homedepot stuff bein too pricey to match the tire rubber quality for heat resistance....

Any tips for sources on chipped or shredded rubber tires ?

Went out this morning to test it out. I would call it an overall success. With just a paper target clipped to the steel the bullets definitley flattend and left a lot of lead on the pipe wall as it circled the pipe. I put some plywood infront of the opening with the target. I guess it helped slow the bullet down a bit. They ended up in the bucket more resembling a bullet.

22, 40s&w and 45acp. No dents or dings in the entrance chute or pipe. In the 4th pic you can see (in far left)where the round entered and hit the pipe wall and circled around.

The pipe is 2.5' long but the rounds lost energy and dropped about 1/2 way down. Some did swirl up and hit the steel lid so be sure to have a lid.

I will need to come up with a way to de-lead the pipe at some point. perhaps a propane torch to heat it up and melt off the walls.

Not bad for $40 in steel, 1/2 hr on the plasma cutter, 1/2 welding and 2 hours scratching my butt trying to make up my mind.

Time to dress it up and come up with a way to set it up. Thinking of a 4x4 frame to set it in. still be able to take it out for cleaning.

IMG00722.jpg

IMG00718.jpg

IMG00715.jpg

IMG00717.jpg

IMG00716.jpg

Edited by Dad03