Litter pickup to educate

Would you be willing to participate?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be willing to participate?

I would like to organize a litter/trash pickup in or around nashville to educate people about the HCP, open carry, concealed carry. It comes up alot these days about some citizen calling the cops because they see someone who is "Law abiding" carrying a gun who actually has a HCP. I am getting tired of this. I like to open carry but 80% of the time I don't because I am afraid some idiot will mistake me for some type of criminal and call the cops on me. This is why I want to organize this, to educate those people who do not know or do not understand.

Something similar to this:

OR

And we should try to do it regularly like once a month or something.

Edited by TaurusPT111Pro
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to organize a litter/trash pickup in or around nashville to educate people about the HCP, open carry, concealed carry. It comes up alot these days about some citizen calling the cops because they see someone who is "Law abiding" carrying a gun who actually has a HCP. I am getting tired of this. I like to open carry but 80% of the time I don't because I am afraid some idiot will mistake me for some type of criminal and call the cops on me. This is why I want to organize this, to educate those people who do not know or do not understand.

TaurusPT111Pro,

I am interested. Would you mind if I re-posted my assessment from the other thread?

Best Wishes,

QuietDan

Below is a link to the group that was organized. You might want to look through this to get a head start on your project.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/groups/tgo++hcp+adopt++roadway.html

Our group did one clean up last year. TDR that was organizing it had to back out and 56FordGuy took it over at that point. Below is the link to the thread where we did the clean up and the picture of the TGO sign.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/events-gatherings/48378-november-7th-highway-cleanup.html

Edited by Trekbike
Below is a link to the group that was organized. You might want to look through this to get a head start on your project.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/groups/tgo++hcp+adopt++roadway.html

Our group did one clean up last year. TDR that was organizing it had to back out and Ford56Guy took it over at that point. Below is the link to the thread where we did the clean up and the picture of the TGO sign.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/events-gatherings/48378-november-7th-highway-cleanup.html

Well we need to organize more because obviously it was not enough.

Go right ahead Dan. Need all the help I gan get to try and organize this.

What you're describing here is what's called a non-trivial operation. I'm thinking it can't just be done without a lot of planning.

First things first, you'd want to make sure of just exactly what you're trying to say with a direct action.

You'd probably want to coordinate with the . . . TFA (??) and even a local rep for the NRA well before any direct action. You certainly would want to ensure that you're not stomping on a larger agenda and undo something that everyone's worked hard for, oh, campus carry, better posting regs, whatever.

There are people who set up this type of direct action for a living. Unfortunately, a lot of the true professionals are very liberal; you might have to really look around for an event coordinator that's got good solid conservative leanings. You might also want to be prepared for . . . organized opposition. The TFA and the NRA will probably know who the good guys are.

Also, you'd certainly want to start out with a city where the administration, a couple of city councilmen or the Mayor AND the chief of police understands what you're trying to accomplish. If not totally on board, at least leaning in your direction and not working against you. Having a State Senator or State Representative on board would be invaluable. You'd be surprised at how much good comes from just discussing things like this in a sensible manner on an open forum. A lot of people read this forum.

You would want to carefully select the stretch of road. You'd actually want to actually pick up trash, preferably bags and bags of it, complete with the used hypodermics and the discarded tires and sofas in the crummy neighborhood. Someplace that's already acknowledged to be a problem. Some street with a lot of traffic volume.

It wouldn't hurt to have a journalist on board early that understands what you're trying to say and do. I'm thinking you all already have some sort of relationship with Brian Haas. You'd also want some of your own folks that can shoot some good video, not just jumpy monkey-cam cell phone video.

You'd also want to ensure that your membership or those who plan on attending are thoroughly on board with the goals of the direct action. That gets right on down to attitude, demeanor, look and dress. One pickup truck with the stars and bars, one too many guys dressed in Army DCU pants, one too many AK-47 pistols strapped diagonally across the chest and any good you may try to accomplish would literally blow up in your face. Some sort of uniform, even a red, white and blue bandana or a tie or a printed t-shirt helps as well. You don't want some crazy showing up and grandstanding and steal your event away. There are people who do this, you know. What's that guys name kwiknu (??). How well would something like this go if he were to show up claiming to be a part of the group, act all crazy-like and scare the horses?

Also, you get only one shot to do something like this right. Do it right in one city, and you could get most of the publicity that you'd ever need and get most of the effect you're looking for, from one event. Done right, and other cities might ask you to come!

I don't want to sound negative or like a nervous nellie or seeing a problem behind every tree, but without a good plan . . . . bad news.

Again, it is a non-trivial operation.

:D

p.s.

I'm thinking there's a piece in this for just about everyone. I'm also very interested in what TGO Dave and some of the old hands might think. Some of them are probably been there, done that, know where the land-mines are . . .

Aye, the Tennessee Gun Owners have adopted a section of Hwy 386/ Vietnam Veteran's Blvd from mile marker 4 to mile marker 6.

We have executed one large clean up last November as Trekbike linked to, since then the maintenance requirements do not seem to have been that heavy. During the summer months, the highway mowing crew handled it.

We do need to set up another project in the near future, but to be honest I've just not had the time to do much of anything lately. I know it sounds like an excuse, but that's where I am right now. I'll spare y'all the boring details.

I'm hoping things will settle down in a month or two, and will be able to set something up around that time if that works for the group. ;) If anyone would like to try and organize something sooner, I can set you up with the TDOT information and requirements.

• Administrator
I think we should wait as previously stated for a month or 2 so we have some help organizing. However, I believe working along side a 60+mph highway may not be the best way to educate folks. I believe we shoud do it "in town" or close anyways.

I don't carry a firearm to educate people or make political statements. There are other ways to influence the political system and win friends that are far more effective than scaring the sheep.

I'm down for anything civic-oriented that can paint gun owners in a positive light. I'm not down for events where morons show up wearing their Sunday-best Camouflage, My Cold Dead Hands t-shirts and hogleg revolvers strapped to their thighs thinking that it somehow will acclimate the general public to the idea that gun owners aren't a bunch of fringe lunatics. I can't tell you how many rallies I've been to where someone thought it would be awesome to bring an AR-15 and walk around with it strapped across their back. Positive-spin Failure.

As someone else said, you need to flesh out your idea publicly so that folks can decide whether they want to participate.