Venison Recipes.

VENISON STEW

Cut 2 lbs. of meat from neck, brisket, front shoulders, leftovers from hindquarters or wherever, into diced pieces. Put in a deep dish, add salt, 1 cup of red wine, 2 cups of water and a little white vinegar; the liquid should completely cover the meat, if not add more wine. Cover bowl with aluminum foil and allow to marinate in a cool place for 2 days, from time to time turning the meat. Remove the meat from the marinade, dry with paper towels, and roll in flour. Dice 3 slices of bacon and place in a casserole, braise until slightly crisp; add a little butter, then quickly braise meat chunks. Spice with pepper, 2 cloves, 2 bay leaves, 1 finely chopped onion and 2 finely chopped small dill pickles; stir and add about 1/2 cup of the marinade. After stewing for about 60 to 90 minutes, thicken sauce with a mixture of cold red wine and flour. Eventually add salt if needed. The sauce should be spicy. In Germany this meal is often served with fried potato pancakes and a green salad. It is also served with noodles and applesauce.

[h=1]VENISON ROAST[/h]

Clean and trim hindquarters. Rub in salt and pepper and sprinkle with a bit of thyme or sage. Place 2 or 3 slices of bacon on roast and place in a pan with several onion quarters. Put hindquarter in preheated oven (375 F) and allow to cook for 60-90 minutes. During this time the roast should be frequently basted. From time to time red wine and /or water should be added. After removing from oven wrap in aluminum foil and let it rest for approximately 10 minutes.

Gravy: After removing roast from pan add about 1 pint of heavy cream and stir with drippings from roast. Scrape pan well so all residue from roast is dissolved in sauce. Season with thyme or sage. Place this mixture in a saucepan and cook(not simmer) for about 10 minutes until sauce is reduced to the proper consistency. Taste again and season accordingly. Leftover gravy and roast can be frozen. Leftover gravy can also be used as a starter for future gravies.

VENISON MEATLOAF

1 lb ground venison (no added fat)

1 egg

1/2 cup plain bread crumbs

1/4 cup grated Romano cheese

1 Tablespoon parsley

1/4 cup milk

bacon strips or butter pats to top of meat before baking

Mixing well, combine egg and meat; then stir in bread crumbs thoroughly, followed by cheese and parsley; add milk and knead to a uniform consistency. Bake at 350 F in loaf pan to desired doneness.

[h=1]VENISON MEATBALLS[/h]

(small batch)

1 lb. ground venison(no added fat)

1 egg

1/2 cup Italian-style bread crumbs

1/4 cup grated Romano cheese

1 Tablespoon parsley

1/4 cup milk

Combine egg and meat; then, stir in thoroughly breadcrumbs, followed by cheese and parsley; add milk and knead to a uniform consistency. Small batch makes 6-7 meatballs and large batch makes 2-2 1/2 dozen meatballs of approximately 2 inch diameter.

(large batch)

4 lbs. ground venison(no added fat)

4 eggs

2 cups Italian-style bread crumbs

1 cup grated Romano cheese

¼ cup parsley

1 cup milk

SAUCE FOR MEATBALLS

(small batch) (large batch)

1 lb. 12oz tomato paste 6lb. 10oz tomato paste

1 bay leaf 6 bay leaves

1 large clove garlic(crushed) 6 cloves garlic(crushed)

1/2 small onion(chopped) 1 medium onion(chopped)

3 Tbsp parsley(fresh) OR 1/2 cup parsley(fresh) OR

1 1/2 Tbsp dehydrated parsley 1/4 cup dehydrated parsley

1/4 tsp dill weed 1 tsp dill weed

1/8 tsp sweet basil leaves 1/2 tsp sweet basil leaves

1/8 tsp whole rosemary leaves 1/2 tsp rosemary leaves

1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil 1/4 cup olive oil

Submerge raw venison meatballs into sauce and cover. Cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes, then lower heat between medium and low for 1 3/4 hours. Do not scorch sauce! Check and stir slightly every 15 minutes or so

The following recipes are from Gray's Wild Game Cookbook

GRAY'S VENISON CALZONE

3 cups all-purpose flour 1/2 slivered gruyere cheese

1 pkg. dry yeast 1 cup eggplant,chopped & sautéed

2 tbsp oregano 1/4 cup chopped parsley

1 cup ground venison, sautéed in 1 tsp salt

bacon fat with onion and garlic Black ground pepper

In a medium size bowl mix 1 cup of the flour with the yeast and add enough warm water to make a moist and cohesive ball. Fill the bowl with warm water so the ball is covered. Let sit 5-15 minutes until the ball pops to the surface. Meanwhile take the remaining amount of flour and put it on top of the counter. Make a trench in the middle of the pile and add the salt. Reconstitute the oregano by pouring a little hot water in with it first and then add it to the flour trench. You will need to add more water, fluffing it into the flour with your fingers. The mixture should be slightly cohesive but not wet as the yeast/flour ball will be quite wet. When the ball has risen to the surface of the water, scoop it out and set in the middle of your pile of flour. Knead the ball and the flour together and continue to knead for 8 minutes or so. Put the dough in an oiled or floured bowl with a towel over it and place in a warm spot to rise two hours or until doubled in bulk. Punch down and roll out into a 3"x12" rectangle. Now brown the venison and sauté the eggplant. Put the venison, eggplant and grated cheese in layers in the center of the dough. Then pull the sides of the dough up over the meat mixture and wrap tightly, pinching the seams. Flip over so the seam is on the bottom. Let rise again and bake in a preheated oven at 425 degrees until done(about 35-40 minutes).

• 1 year later...

bringing this thread back to life. Im getting some jerky meat sliced out of the doe I got yesterday evening, and needing some good venison jerky marinade recipes! I like a little spicy, not to bad though, a recipe with a hint of cayenne would be good maybe? this will be my first attempt at making jerky, but cant wait. So anybody have any mild/moderate spicy marinade recipes?

I bought a bottle of A-1 Chicago style marinade and steak sauce. I will try it to season jerkey in the near future. That stuff is dynamite on steaks and chops. Might be worth a try Reed.

Dave

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Deer Roast

1 Roast (4-6 Steaks works great as well)

Season Salt

Garlic Salt

Worcestershire Sauce

Soy Sauce

1 Can -Cream of Mushroom Soup

1 Pack -Dry Onion Soup Mix

1 Medium Onion

Cut roast into serving size pieces and place in crock pot.

Sprinkle generously with season salt, garlic salt, Worcestershire sauce, and soy sauce.

Put in cream of mushroom soup and dry onion soup mix, and sir all ingredients and roast together.

Slice onion and place rings on top.

Put on lid and cook in crock pot 6-8 hours on low.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

bringing this thread back to life. Im getting some jerky meat sliced out of the doe I got yesterday evening, and needing some good venison jerky marinade recipes! I like a little spicy, not to bad though, a recipe with a hint of cayenne would be good maybe? this will be my first attempt at making jerky, but cant wait. So anybody have any mild/moderate spicy marinade recipes?

Soy sauce

Teriyaki sauce

Worcestershire sauce

Black Pepper

Crushed red pepper

Garlic powder

Onion Powder

(Do not wash, rinse, etc. the meat. You want it dry so that it will soak up the marinade. Wet rinsed meat won't  take the marinade well and will taste bland.You also do not need to add any salt, as there is plenty of it in the sauces.)

You'll need to play with the amounts of these ingredients, but don't be stingy with any of them. The longer you marinade your jerky, the stronger the flavor. In my dehydrator, it takes 6 hours to dry thin meat, and 8 hours for thicker cuts. It's done when it breaks like a green stick.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 2

Grilled Backstrap

Backstrap sliced

Bacon

1 Stick of Butter

1 Bottle of Dale's Sauce

Melt butter, and add enough Dale's sauce to cover meat.

Wrap meat with bacon, and secure with toothpicks.

Marinade for about 4 hours in refrigerator.

Grill to medium rare. (Do not overcook!)

• Like 2

Grilled Tenderloin

I usually soak in milk in the fridge for 4-6 hours, but that's optional and may or may not really change the taste, but it helps get my wife and kid to eat it.

Anywho, I simply cut into bacon-width filets and dry off the meat well.  I rub with healthy amounts of fresh ground black pepper, coarse salt, and finely minced garlic.  Wrap with bacon (secure with a couple of toothpicks each) and brush bottom and top with 50/50 olive oil-honey mixed.

The secret is grilling on a cast-iron grate over a bed of hot hickory coals.  I keep some hickory shavings in a tin can in the center of the coal bed to add some smoke.  Make a 'tent' of heavy tinfoil to set over the filets as they cook to help retain some smoke/heat.  Sometimes I set a slice of onion on top while grilling, too.

I usually grill til med rare...or even rare for me....def do not want to overcook.  Wife and kid love it so much they forget to even use steak sauce (which for them is saying something). 

Edited by homeagain