Went to Franklin Gun shop

Guest eyebedam

FGS is a nice shop, but as has been said they are quite pricey. They probably do quite a bit of business from the Franklin/Brentwood crowd, for whom an extra $80-$100 isn't a big deal.

I have yet to check out The Rabbi's store, but I keep promising myself I will. One of these days he's going to post a deal on a nice S&W 17, 18, or 617 and I'm going to have to give in and find the place.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eyebedam

Id take a deal on one of these if anyones wanting to rid themselves of one

Smith & Wesson 442 .38 Spl+P 1-7/8" Black.:eek: I think it would be a nice carry weapon Id even get the laser grip.

Franklin Gun shop has a great selection and pretty decent customer service, however they are overpriced and a bit pushy.

Also, I had a bad experience with them. One of the sons sold me on a "lightly used / nicely smithed Daly 1911". A year later when I attempted to trade it on a Glock 34, the same guy told me the that the Daly 1911 was "cast" and poor quality. Needless to say, they lost my trust and I'll never go back.

When I traded a pistol in over there, I saw it in the counter a week later with a tag that said "Like New" on it. I had told the owner that I carried it and it had 8500 rds through it. Glad I got a trade, but selling that as like new? They just cleaned it well I guess.

Guest tadams
I may have to take a little road trip in the next week or 2.
(Referring to Hero Gear)

I made my first stop there just a couple weeks ago. They have a pretty decent selection and I could definitely tell where their strong points are, as far as inventory is concerned. (1911, Tac, etc...)

I went at the only time I could scrape of my schedule and it just so happened to be during the "after work" rush. With that being said, there was always someone attentive enough to answer my lousy questions during my time there. On top of it all, Joe had a parent/ teacher conference to head to, but he took the short time he had left to introduce himself and made me, personally, feel right at home.

I've had friends buying/ trading for years but I've just recently started using my firearm ownership rights. So, just like the "armchair quarterback," I'm only really schooled as a "computer chair shooter." Joe gave me the impression that he would be patient enough to put my minimal knowledge to better use and help me along the way... not just use acronyms that are above my head or sneer for having to repeat something I didn't understand.

My background is in customer service. I've done training for several retail chains on that very subject. I'm very persnickety when it comes down to it. Joe's kind of customer service meant a lot to me. It meant enough for me to say that I WILL be using Hero Gear in the future. Maybe not for everything, maybe not tomorrow; but I won't have the least bit of hesitation calling him "my local gun dude." Those few minutes made an impression on me.

With all that being said, I do plan to poke my head in the Rabbi's "hole in the wall" at some time in the future, as well. As I'm just starting out, I've got a long list to fill and a pretty good time to get there. :rofl:

Standing behind what you sale, selling what the customer really needs/ wants and not just what's on the shelf, someone knowledgeable (or willing to find out), and fair/ true market prices would probably all be points to look for in a gun trader. I'm willing to pay a little more than market (not MSRP, but what the average shop sells for) in order to get that service. For some things, I would just get the cheapest I could find on the net... for something I might have to depend on to protect my life I think I'll get to know "my local gun dude.":pleased:

(Referring to Hero Gear)

I made my first stop there just a couple weeks ago. They have a pretty decent selection and I could definitely tell where their strong points are, as far as inventory is concerned. (1911, Tac, etc...)

I went at the only time I could scrape of my schedule and it just so happened to be during the "after work" rush. With that being said, there was always someone attentive enough to answer my lousy questions during my time there. On top of it all, Joe had a parent/ teacher conference to head to, but he took the short time he had left to introduce himself and made me, personally, feel right at home.

I've had friends buying/ trading for years but I've just recently started using my firearm ownership rights. So, just like the "armchair quarterback," I'm only really schooled as a "computer chair shooter." Joe gave me the impression that he would be patient enough to put my minimal knowledge to better use and help me along the way... not just use acronyms that are above my head or sneer for having to repeat something I didn't understand.

My background is in customer service. I've done training for several retail chains on that very subject. I'm very persnickety when it comes down to it. Joe's kind of customer service meant a lot to me. It meant enough for me to say that I WILL be using Hero Gear in the future. Maybe not for everything, maybe not tomorrow; but I won't have the least bit of hesitation calling him "my local gun dude." Those few minutes made an impression on me.

With all that being said, I do plan to poke my head in the Rabbi's "hole in the wall" at some time in the future, as well. As I'm just starting out, I've got a long list to fill and a pretty good time to get there. ;)

Standing behind what you sale, selling what the customer really needs/ wants and not just what's on the shelf, someone knowledgeable (or willing to find out), and fair/ true market prices would probably all be points to look for in a gun trader. I'm willing to pay a little more than market (not MSRP, but what the average shop sells for) in order to get that service. For some things, I would just get the cheapest I could find on the net... for something I might have to depend on to protect my life I think I'll get to know "my local gun dude.":pleased:

Thanks for your kind words :pleased: It was nice meeting you the other day, and im sorry I didnt have more time to spend with you that day.

I will look forward to working with you next time you come in.

This is who I buy most of my guns from. I price the gun everywhere else, call him, and he usually beats it. I've never had an issue with them.

And yes, it's a hardware store that sells guns.

Bellshire Hardware Co

3837 Dickerson Pike

Nashville, TN 37207

(615) 860-4212

For everything other than buying the firearms, I visit Guns & Leather. They have the best all-around gun store, anywhere. I would buy the actual firearms from them more often, but when I'm in the market for a firearm, I already know what I want, and I want the best price I can get.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
Guest drc767

Least expensive is always nice, but it is not the end all be all for me.....I prefer shops that give good customer service and are willing to order something in that I want instead of trying to sell me what they may have in inventory at that specific time.

I know what ya mean. He's always been good about that. Because he doesn;t have the largest selection, in stock, he's more than willing to order. As a matter of fact, he actually had to order my XD40.

The only problem I've ever had was, I ordered a firearm that I assumed was coming with 2-12 round mags, and it came with 2-10 rounders. he didn;t hesitate to GIVE me 2 brand new 12 rounders. Stand-up guy.

When I traded a pistol in over there, I saw it in the counter a week later with a tag that said "Like New" on it. I had told the owner that I carried it and it had 8500 rds through it. Glad I got a trade, but selling that as like new? They just cleaned it well I guess.

This is an interesting problem and one I learned something about from maybe Guns and Leather altho I cant quite remember.

THe basic lesson was the whatever you take the trade in for, that same customer is going to be back. He will see his former gun in your counter and if you've marked it up 100% then he will think either you ripped him off or he is ripping off other people when he sells stuff.

Moral of the story: make fair trades and price them fairly to the next guy and you'll come out well.

This is an interesting problem and one I learned something about from maybe Guns and Leather altho I cant quite remember.

THe basic lesson was the whatever you take the trade in for, that same customer is going to be back. He will see his former gun in your counter and if you've marked it up 100% then he will think either you ripped him off or he is ripping off other people when he sells stuff.

Moral of the story: make fair trades and price them fairly to the next guy and you'll come out well.

Where is your store located?

Guest Nash45

I used to think the folks at Franklin Gun were pretty nice folks. But I have come to the conclusion after dealing with them that they are very arrogant. Now if they think I am going to buy a gun, they are all smiles. I dont really like going there anymore....because of the arrogance and shady customer service.

Guest eyebedam

This has been a very interesting thread. I picked up a bersa 380 saturday from a individual at a local shop. They werent offering him hardly anything for it & he looked at me asked if Id give 150.00 for it I said yup and we traded. Thats my favorite kind of trades. Quick easy & inspensive.

Guest mtsusean

Franklin Gun Shop caters to a crowd that has money to spend, and a lot of it.

Eastside is much more personable and approachable. I like to stop in and look and chat, sooner or later he will have something in there that will spur an impulse purchase.

G & L is a good place to go browse but "sometimes" has a hint of quiet arrogance. Hard to explain but it depends on who is working the counter.

We stopped in at Brighton Arms on Saturday. One guy in the back was doing an absolute hard sell on a couple over a pistol. That approach turns me off for good.

then there's Gun City...

Guest lci419

Hello all,

Here's a couple of my observations:

1. Gun $***ty as I have heard it referenced...I've been there a few times and always feel "weird" there. Once I tried to buy a firing pin for my Colt 1911A1 and got dressed down by the salesman because he didn't understand that I had a gov't issue 1911. Have been back since, but will never buy anything there again; and I didn't particularly like the characters I found loafing around there. Never tried the range, nor am I inclined to.

2. Eastside Gun Shop. Lacking in inventory, but I was more than impressed with the reasonable prices on what was available. Enjoyed visiting with the Rabbi, and apart from his, shall we say, dislike for 1911's :) thought he was a great guy. Haven't bought a gun from the Rabbi yet, but won't hesitate to do so on my next purchase.

3. Gun shop out on West Charlotte. Nice atmosphere, enjoyed visiting with other clientele there, decent selection of firearms. Thought prices were a bit high, but I wouldn't say excessively so. Found the owner to be a helpful and courteous guy.

4. Goodlettsville gun shop. Haven't been there in a long time. Didn't look around too much as I was in the market for a PA-63...he had it, I bought it. I recall the prices being reasonable and the owner to be helpful. Wouldn't hesitate to go back.

5. ASP in Joelton. Rather like this place a lot. Staff has always been helpful and courteous to me. Got a decent selection of items, friendly atmosphere, and I really like the indoor range, their hours and the prices they charge to use it. I go there as often as I can and on my next purchase it will probably be a toss up between them and the Rabbi as to who gets my business.