All them dang zombies ain't gonna kill they selves!

So what have you accomplished lately to repel the incoming hoard of undead? I like to get SOMETHING done everyday, no matter how small. It adds up with a quickness.

Today, I cast a little over 500 pure lead, 525g 12g slugs. They are guaranteed to mush a zombies melon. :(

photo-14.jpg

I do all my reloading in the early hours of the morning before work. Two hours of tinkering every morning will really get things done. I finished loading 1700 rounds of 9x19 last week. All loaded with 130g truncated cone boolits I cast meself.

SO? What have you done....or what's your excuse?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scramasax

Just put double sickel mower blades on the tractor.:death:Already have armored cab. :( Next are the articulated chain saws then flamethowers. Oh I did load 100 chain shot 12ga shells.

Cheers,

ts

What are the costs to reload shotgun rounds if you do not cast? I reload pistol + rifle, but no shotgun yet.

Ohh, wow, I don't know really. I use the same powder for my 12g shells that I used to use for 45 back when I used to shoot it,so I still have quite a bit of it. Primers are roughly the same if I remember right. As far as payload, I don't have a clue. I only load slugs and a 9 pellet buck load, both of which I cast myself.

I cast for 9mm. Just don't cast many anymore. Don't have a conventional rifled barrel to shoot them in(Glocks only). I have a Lee 124gr. RN/TL mold that I use.

Caster, do you use a roll crimp on your slugs, or just a regular 6/8 point folded crimp? I've never loaded slugs. Would like to try a couple of yours sometime. If we ever get a fall meet and shoot, I'll see you there.

Edited by Westwindmike
Ohh, wow, I don't know really. I use the same powder for my 12g shells that I used to use for 45 back when I used to shoot it,so I still have quite a bit of it. Primers are roughly the same if I remember right. As far as payload, I don't have a clue. I only load slugs and a 9 pellet buck load, both of which I cast myself.

Here is a good, web based, Shotgun Reloading Cost Calculator.

Shotshell Reloading Cost Calculator

I cast for 9mm. Just don't cast many anymore. Don't have a conventional rifled barrel to shoot them in(Glocks only). I have a Lee 124gr. RN/TL mold that I use.

Caster, do you use a roll crimp on your slugs, or just a regular 6/8 point folded crimp? I've never loaded slugs. Would like to try a couple of yours sometime. If we ever get a fall meet and shoot, I'll see you there.

I tried the RN Lee and had bad luck with it. The Truncated Cone Mold they offer works perfect for me. I think it's supposed to be 124g too, but they fall 130g.

For the slugs, they ride in a wad and I use a regular 6 pt star crimp. They do amazingly well. Far better than I would have guessed.

I am new to casting but the one mold I bought to start with is 9mm. I cooked up some ingots yesterday in an old cast iron dutch oven. I think I am going to melt and recast to ingots. I don't feel like I fluxed enough. It was a learning experience. Can't wait to cast a few 9mms though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
I am going to use a Lee 125gr 9mm round nose 2 cavity mold first and see how that goes.

Let me know how they work for you. I might be interested (if you are) trading out some cast 9mm bullets with you. I wouldn't mind trying some of those. I can hook you up with some 130g truncated cone tumble lube type that I use.

This brings up a good idea; Anyone interested in kind of a reloaders/casting co-op? I hate buying new molds just to find out they aren't going to work in my particular gun.

SO! Did anyone get any reloading done this weekend? I loaded a few hundred 357 mag and a hundred 38's. The 38's I loaded I put in a box labeled "bunny farts" It's a 158g full metal case over 3.0g of Accurate Nitro 100. By the manual it produces an astounding 750+ fps. Better hold on with both hands yeah?:2cents: I figure it'll make decent training ammo for weak hands, ladies(no offense to the full bore women shooters), children and other novices.

I've almost caught up on things, I've got a big pile of 45LC to load. I'm thinking of loading up a bunch with some 777 I have tucked away. Might be nice to have a few boxes for any old/antique guns that trickle through.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, another nice weekend to be out in the shop. Finished off 482 12g buck loads. AA hulls, f114 claybuster wad, winchester primer, 24g of Universal, and (9) .32 caliber balls cast by yours truly:)

This is a really good load. I have tried it in several of my buddies autos and it has cycled all of them perfectly. Too bad I sold all the 12g's I had. Can't find one that suits me. 870's, 1400's, 500's no thanks. I won't be happy till I have a Winchester 1200 or 1300. I LOVE my 20g model 120. Oh well, I should be stocked well by the time I get one next year.

12g.jpg

12g2.jpg

You need to shoot a Benelli M4. 9 of the smoothest rounds you'll ever shoot out of a shotgun.

Be careful, though. Once you shoot one, you'll judge every other shotgun you shoot against it.

Oh I have. You are right too, it is awesome. Four figures for a shogun though....probably won't happen.

Today, I cast a little over 500 pure lead, 525g 12g slugs. They are guaranteed to mush a zombies melon.

Very impressive! Do you buy your pure lead or smelt down from other sources (wheel weights, etc.) as seems to be the norm on youtube "instructional videos"? If you do buy ingots of pure lead, do you mind me asking what the ballpart going rate is? I am shooting trap loads for fun because it's cheap, but debating on whether or not to save all the hulls for reloading with 00 buck or slugs down the road.

Thanks!

I get my pure lead from a plumber that brings me all the lead he tears out of old buildings he renovates. I get my WW lead for pistols and rifle bullets from the tire shop that I work at. I'm the sole employee so no argument over who gets what:)

I have no idea what purchase price for lead is, sorry.

what "trap loads" are you shooting? You know those cheap bulk pack walmart shells are not typically easy to reload, if at all. Finding data is hard for them because they change often to whatever they can make the cheapest. If you're going to reload I suggest staying with a known brand. Personally, I ONLY load AA hulls. I like them because with the powder I use, load data is interchangeable between the AA hulls and the AA HS hulls. I use AAHS hulls (grey color) for slugs. I use standard red for buck loads and I use the silver AA hulls for loading bird shot. No need to label anything as they are color coded:) Simplicity.

Caster,

Shooting the Remington red 7-1/2 shot from WalMart. Not sure if they are AA, etc.... haven't gotten that far into the science yet... I have more reading to do I guess.

Thanks.

Come on people! What have you been working on??? Can't believe no one wants to talk about what they've been loading.

Just picked up a few new molds today.

Lyman Keith style 170g SWC .358

Lee 160g .312 tumble lube/gascheck I plan to use for a 7,62 Ishapore. The bore is a bit large. I think this will work great.

Ohaus 170g RNFP .309

One of my winter projects is going to be finding the perfect cast load for the Ishapore rifle I picked up a while back. It has a near perfect bore, but.... even with the claims of improved metallurgy on the 2A & 2A1 rifles, I am hesitant to trust the same ammo I feed my Savage 10PC. If I can find a cast load she likes, I will have a rifle I will never be able to wear out;)

Seriously, I know there's gotta be somebody out there besides me and westwindmike casting their own rifle bullets. Even if you ain't pouring your own, what have you been working on at your loading bench????