Sporterized Remington Mosin Nagant :(

Guest Rem_Mosin1917

Guest Rem_Mosin1917

So i was in Crazy Jim's Pawn & Loan a few weeks ago looking for a Mosin Nagant to sporterize. One ended up catching my eye that had already had it done, so i ask to see it. The guy at the counter handed it to me, i look down at the reciever and seen Remington 1917 on it and almost felt sick. I couldnt believe someone hacked up a # matching Remington Mosin Nagant.:) But i Ended up buying it because it was basiclly what i was looking for. I ended up with something a lot better then what i could of built for cheaper then i could of bought the accessories for.

018.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rem_Mosin1917

looks to be done properly, but im guessing it was done years ago because the stock is alittle beat up and the buttpad is starting to seperate from the stock( you can see it in the picture) only thing i really have a problem with is they dovetailed it right on the reciever... notice the notch just under the scope...

looks to be done properly, but im guessing it was done years ago because the stock is alittle beat up and the buttpad is starting to seperate from the stock( you can see it in the picture) only thing i really have a problem with is they dovetailed it right on the reciever... notice the notch just under the scope...

I'm stupid.......They dovetailed what?

Scope mount?

Guest Rem_Mosin1917

299661_1749741283115_1826355268_1176082_1636146342_n.jpg

could use a new blue job, know anyone that does it for a decent price?

go ahead and insert your funny remarks about the blue job part...lmao

Well, the intrinsic value is gone. The dovetail is just another wound, but one that could be hidden by a crafty smith. If it were to be refinished, an insert could be soldered in before hand and a little peening & draw filing would hide it well. The only giveaway would be that it would be nigh impossible to get a color match as it would be equally impossible to find a metal of the same metallurgical composition. BUT, a good smith could get you so close, you probably wouldn't care.

To be honest with you, given what the rifle used to be, I PERSONALLY, would spend a few bucks bringing it up to snuff. Not everyone feels strongly like some of us about old warhorses. To me, it would be the honorable thing to do, to atleast make it as nice as possible...you know, like someone cared;)

Fix the dovetail

Unless the crown looks really good, go ahead and recrown it since it'll be getting refinished anywho

reblue it

and strip that stock, put a new butt pad on and do a top notch refinish.

.....but that's just me.

...then, go find a nice young buck worth eating....and shoot him with it.

Edited by Caster
Guest Rem_Mosin1917

i planned on getting it as nice as possible sooner or later, i just cant really afford it right now. and i actually plan to take down a bison with it in a few months

i planned on getting it as nice as possible sooner or later, i just cant really afford it right now. and i actually plan to take down a bison with it in a few months

OOoooo, me likey. Makes me wanna go downtown to Ted's Montana Grill.

Keep us updated.

I am saddened they did that to an American Mosin...

But, at least you did not have to find one and modify.

Hope it shoot well (It should be loud and might kick more than an original length barrel.)

If you are going to shoot mil surp, get some Yugo - if you can find it. (near match quality ammo and non-metallic)

Guest Rem_Mosin1917

it shoots pretty good with the russian surplus ammo i just got from the-armory.com, a lot more recoil then i was expecting. first shot i took with it wednesday put a pretty good size knot on my forehead:plol. noticed the mag wasnt working though... had to single load it the whole day which kinda sucked