Popcorn Sutton's Moonshine to be made again.

vontar

Word is, Hank Jr. brought into and is helping with the families permission get Popcorn Sutton's Tennessee White Whiskey made and sold. I have hold on the web some people have tried it and compared it to some of Popcorns original and said it is the same. I Know I want to try it.

If anyone in East TN sees it available let me know. I have heard it is going to be in limited markets at first, like Newport, Gatlinburg, Nashville, etc. I plan to try to get my hands on it soon to try it.

The website is not fully up, Popcorn Sutton's Tennessee White Whiskey

There are a few blogs about it.

I know I want to try this early, perhaps even before it gets wide spread.

I bet this stuff gives Ole Smokey a run for its Money.

Edited by vontar
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet you are right. I never had any of his. I bet it won't be as strong as his either. I bet it gets seriously cut but I hope they are able to stay true to his recipe as I have be hearing.

I know I would like to have a license to be able to produce some old Mnt Moonshine with out getting in trouble before a few more of the old timers are gone to save the recipes. Each had their own way. Some made it better then others.

I had some of Popcorn's stuff as my first experience with shine. It put me on my ass and gave me a healthy respect for the stuff. RIP.

I think I have too. I have a few friends from those parts. Sampled a bunch of it. I'm not a big fan. I would rather pay the taxes and drink aged whiskey.

A few years ago, Popcorn showed up at our motorcycle ralley in Maggie Valley and spent the day with the crowd. He was certainly an interesting and entertaining character, and sure looked 30 years older than he really was. As for his product, by the time it gets to 150 proof, taste is all in the imagination anyway.... But, it sure lit the campfire with ease.

Guest 73challenger

I hate that they are industrializing it though. I still wouldn't mind trying a swig or two. I don't think Popcorn would have done this if he were still alive. Have you watched the video of him and Johnny knoxville? So funny.

Guest Lester Weevils

Once it gets into the ballpark of 180 proof, wonder how much different it could be from ordinary inexpensive liquor store pure grain alcohol?

I realize there could be a difference. Bacardi 151 tastes pretty good but in the past have consumed cheaper 151 rums that taste like bug poison.

However, unless the shine impurities make a "good" taste, then chemically-neutral PGA might be the more tolerable tasting, and high-octane shine more likely the one that tastes like bug poison?

I find it disgusting that it took him to kill himself before most people actually appreciated him. He should have been treated as a walking historical museum of all things Appalachian. All of that knowledge was lost the day he took his life. I can assure you he was good at more than just making moonshine also. Most of this knowledge is not being passed on because our younger generations just don't care about it. It is the knowledge these old timers have that will one day be needed in order for us to survive.

Yes he did break the law by not paying taxes but look at how many of our representatives do the same without even a question. He should have been treated the same way, no less and expecially no worse, than our officials that have done the same.

If I were in charge he would have been an advisor of some sort to those working on alternative fuels. Kind of hard to dispute a lifetime's experience of actually making it.

Dolomite

yup. I know some that gave it up 30 plus years ago I would love to learn from. People still talk about what they made. I have heard them say if it wasn't for the trouble and risk of going to prison they would love to do it again, not to sell but just to make it. Myself I would love to learn that skill from one of them. But I am afraid they hung it up for good.

A few weeks ago, I took a jar of Ole Smokey to one of them, he said it wasn't nearly as good as what he used to make but it would pass as shine barely. (and I had the one labeled corn, not spirits)

Guest Lester Weevils
You can't do 180 proof with a pot still. Moonshine is made in pot stills.

Thanks Mike. Dunno nothin about shine. That video Vontar linked in the first post, titled "Popcorn Sutton Video"-- The old dude explains at about 0:22 how he's making 180 proof whiskey. Just taking the old guy at his word.

Thanks Mike. Dunno nothin about shine. That video Vontar linked in the first post, titled "Popcorn Sutton Video"-- The old dude explains at about 0:22 how he's making 180 proof whiskey. Just taking the old guy at his word.

Didn't watch the video before. That's not a typical pot still. I may have to get the video ;). 180 proof usually requires multiple distilling cycles, or a reflux still. That may be a reflux tower over the cooker.

I think 'shine & distilling of moonshine is one of the most fascinating subjects going.

I have sampled various illicit spirits over the years & experimented with distilling myself a few times, on a tiny scale. I sincerely believe that it ought to be legal to produce a small amount of liquor for personal consumption.

A good friend of mine in east TN gave me a pint of Popcorn Sutton's brew a couple of years back. Uncut 160 proof (I tested it) & apart from a very subtle oiliness, it's pretty much tasteless.

I would happily pay to spend a few days with some knowledgeable 'shiners (hint, hint) & learn the craft.

I guess i don't understand the glorification of a criminal.

And fwiw moonshine is not good. It tastes terrible.

Everybody needs the watch the documentary on the History Channel (I think) before they form a complete opinion about moonshiners. It's the one with Billy Ray.

Yep, it's raw, unaged corn whiskey. i don't like it either. You also have the "charred" version, which kinda gets a few days of the aging process. I'm ok with apple pie, but it still has that moonshine whang.

I hate that they are industrializing it though. I still wouldn't mind trying a swig or two. I don't think Popcorn would have done this if he were still alive. Have you watched the video of him and Johnny knoxville? So funny.

I disagree because of that video. At the end of the day Popcorn did it to make money.

As for him being a criminal, debatable but my opinion is no.

Guest Lester Weevils

A moonshiner could theoretically pay the tax and become legit? Does that cost too much for a hillbilly to do with a small business loan? Or are the licenses simply incredibly difficult to come by, like getting a brand-new radio broadcast AM or FM radio frequency from the FCC?

I agree making yer own distilled spirits or other substances ought to be legal for personal use. But the shiner would be in it for the money and would be no more immune to ordinary biz fees and regs than a piano tuner or shade-tree electrician? I also think there are too many biz fees and regs, but OTOH it ain't kewl for random fools to poison their customers or burn down their houses with bad wiring. :)

Long ago working at the substance abuse clinic, in-house medical supervised detoxification, one client was an ancient moonshiner from Soddy Daisy who had been using his own product. The dude was even more unhealthy than the typical alcoholic. Something way wrong with his skin and very few brain cells left. There may be skilled practitioners, but this old guy didn't seem a skilled practitioner. He was telling me how he liked to add chlorox bleach to give it a better taste.

No accounting for tastes. After all, some people like souse or borsht. I'm no connoisseur but generally prefer "mediciny" tasting spirits and sour-tasting mixes. Mescal, gin, bacardi 151. Key lime juice, grapefruit juice, lemon juice, bitters. Though various corn whiskeys and scotch is OK sometimes too. Long ago tried some of that legal georgia shine they sell in the mason jars, that was a little too much like bug poison even for my preference of "biting" flavors. But maybe some folks like such a flavor the best.

Junior Johnson came out with a version of his families moonshine, it's called Midnight Moon or something. It is very smooth white moonshine but it's watered down to 80 proof. I won't drink anything much over 80 proof.

It says you have to be 21 years old to enter his website so I can't. I'mm 55.

http://www.juniorsmidnightmoon.com/airpress/wp-content/plugins/age-verification/age-verification.php?redirect_to=http://www.juniorsmidnightmoon.com%2F