Youth question.

I hate to soundlike I have never done this before but. I haven’t been hunting since mydaughter was born 17 years ago. My 13 year old son has asked me to take himhunting. Of course I said yes but we have a few things to do first. I havesigned us both up to take the Hunter Safety Course next week. He is also goingwith me Saturday while I take my Carry Permit Class as an observer.

I am going to talk with a few neighbors in the community and see about findinga good place to hunt next year. The last time I hunted was in Alabama with myFather and his hunting club. There we hunted with dogs and 12 gauges because ofthe close proximity of club members. The rifles stayed in the truck unlessneeded to stop the dogs from running. Ahh those were the days. The only Huntinggun I have saved over the years is a 30-30 I received a few years ago when myFather died. So now with the question.

For a new hunter of medium build that would like to learn to hunt Deer andTurkey what affordable gun would you put in the Christmas Stocking? I wasthinking either a 12ga or 20ga pump but I am going off old memories.

Thanks for your help.

Brandon

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he is 13 and over 120 pounds, go with the 12 guage if you want to give him a shotgun. A mossberg pump is hard to beat as a first gun.

A .22 rifle is hard to beat as a learning tool. It is also a great squirrel gun. Cheap to practice, no recoil problems. It will teach him good trigger pulling skills.

As for hunting, there are lots of opportunities on public land near you. You and your son would have lots of fun hunting together if you approach it correctly. I'd recommend starting with squirrels as soon as you get licensed and have the basic marksmanship skills down. This could be as soon as this winter. Deer season is over in early Jan, and the public land is usually empty after that. You and your son could spend some time in the woods and teach him the value of enjoying the sport more than the harvest.

Deer hunting can follow the next year after some considerable range time with the 30-30. I was 13 and about 100 pounds when I started with a 30-30. He should be fine as long as you start him off right.

My oldest loves his 870 Remington pump 20 guage youth model.

He doesn't know you need a 12 guage to turkey hunt.

Interesting. I'm not a turkey hunter, but listening to those I work with, you'd think nothing short of the 12 ga 3.5" super ultra mega magnum shoulder dislocater special will bring down a turkey.

Thanks for the replies! I was leaning toward the 12 gauge mainly because thats what I know. I spoke to my brother in law last night and he is bringing me his .22 rifle so I can help him work on shooting skills. I told my wife last night I dont know who is more exited him for getting to learn all this or me for getting to be a part of it.

My first shotgun was a single shot 20 at the age of 11, then I moved up to a 12 gauge 870 at the age of 12. I only weighed about 80 pounds when I was 12 and I handled the 12 gauge just fine. I was just shooting field loads then, no magnums or 3" loads. I was very good with that gun, I remember out shooting some snobby kids with O/Us at a skeet and trap shoot when I was 14. I still have that gun, it is my go to shotgun and really the only shotgun I keep in my house. I still use it on a regular basis. Go ahead and get your boy a gun that will last him a lifetime. Of course every boy needs a .22, which I see you are covering already. Hard to go wrong with a 30-30 for deer, good solid gun with little recoil.

Guest gunnutt

I dont know who is more exited him for getting to learn all this or me for getting to be a part of it.

I can answer that,I got my son out last year hunting and I think the excitement was equal,and bravo for teaching him,it will serve him well in the future,john

I dont know who is more exited him for getting to learn all this or me for getting to be a part of it.

I can answer that,I got my son out last year hunting and I think the excitement was equal,and bravo for teaching him,it will serve him well in the future,john

We had our first part of the hunting safety course tonight. We both enjoyed it. I am going to try and take him hunting at least once this season. Next year the deer should beware course he will be ready.

Sent from my Droid X using Smoke Signals!

• 2 months later...