Help me decide please? SR9C or XDM 40

Guest sunk99

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 556or762

Well that is a good one as stated by others previously they are two totally different guns. I would lean towards the XDM40 for specific reasons, you stated you would use it for target/carry. I have an XD40 and it shoots very well at the range it costs a little more than 9mm but if part of its intended purpose is defense few can argue the fact that 40 is a better round for stopping attackers. I have shot the SR9C and also think it shoots well at the range with the full size mag and grip extension in, the difference is muzzle flip due to the 3" barrel versus 4" on the XD40 and the fact that the gun is lighter and as such has some felt recoil I dont know if many could tell a difference in recoil between the two. I know some will say 40 has more recoil but think about the weight of the gun, length of the barrel and size of the grip all contribute to controlability. I think both guns would serve you well for your intended uses but perhaps you should match a XDM40c to the SR40c, and the SR9 to the XDM9 and so on it will definitely make it easier to decide if you hold them both and compare apples to apples. I also am a believer in getting the gun that fits you not making you fit the gun go hold both shoot them if you can and then buy the one that you felt most comfortable with it may surprise you which one works better for you.

I have an XD-40 and a Taurus 709 Slim, which is somewhat similar to the the SR9c. I'm a small, skinny guy and the XD-40 gets heavy carrying all day, whereas the lighter (19 oz) and thinner 709 is more comfortable to carry. From what I've read, the SR9c is about the same weight as the XD, so that shouldn't be a deciding factor for you. Then, there are guys that carry a full-sized service 45 without complaints, so weight is pretty subjective as a criteria. That said, you're going to notice a big difference in carry between either gun and your LCP. I have the Kel Tec P3AT 380 with a thin pocket holster. It's a grab-as-you-go-out-the-door gun. As a small, skinny guy, the XD40 and the 709 require dressing with carry in mind unless its winter.

I'd agree that if you can find an XD40 used, it might be a better value than the XDm. The biggest differences are the grip and larger magazines on the XDm. If the XD grip fits your hand, then you don't need the XDm grip. The larger magazine is a personal preference, but there are people who would argue that all day. Getting a gun that fits you is important. For example, I find the extended magazine on the XD40 to be very awkward to grip, whereas the standard magazine fits naturally in my hand. People with large hands would probably have just the opposite opinion.