Mossberg 590 only holding 7?

Hey guys,

I am having a problem, that I only recently discovered, with my shotgun. When I first got it, I could squeeze in 8 2 and 3/4 inch shells into the mag tube. Now I cant get that last shell in by a good 1/8th of an inch. I haven't changed the ammo I use.

This really depresses me, because I bought it last February brand new :)

Any ideas?

Edited by Ramjo
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but that's a lot of travel for a spring. It's not often, but long magazine (shotguns) can give binding issues if the magazine spring isn't good and straight. Pull it and lay it out on a table. Look for any kind of kinks. May not be the problem, but it's a place to start.

Well here is what I found on the mag tube.

The mag tube is screwed into the reciever and sealed with locktight. I tried twisting it and even with my herculean effort, it wouldn't budge. :wall:

Some guys on another forum suggested to put the gun in a vise (obviously after padding it) and use a wrench to turn the tube and break the seal, and that once the seal broke you could hand turn it from then on. I am not sure that I want to try that just yet. I can shove the 8th round in as far as that arm that loads rounds from the tube, so I pushed it in that far and am letting it sit there for awhile.

As far as upgraded followers are concerned, I saw where it was pointed out that the beefier follower reduced the mag capacity by one, which would defeat my purpose.

Well here is what I found on the mag tube.

The mag tube is screwed into the reciever and sealed with locktight. I tried twisting it and even with my herculean effort, it wouldn't budge. :drama:

Some guys on another forum suggested to put the gun in a vise (obviously after padding it) and use a wrench to turn the tube and break the seal, and that once the seal broke you could hand turn it from then on. I am not sure that I want to try that just yet. I can shove the 8th round in as far as that arm that loads rounds from the tube, so I pushed it in that far and am letting it sit there for awhile.

As far as upgraded followers are concerned, I saw where it was pointed out that the beefier follower reduced the mag capacity by one, which would defeat my purpose.

First of all.. Why are you removing the magazine tube from the receiver? I think that's highly unnecessary. If anything you'll break or bend it trying to take it off. Can you see anything wrong with it? Just take out the follower, spring, and cap to see if theres anything wrong with them. Also, you don't need a beefier follower. You can easily replace it with a better one and not lose any capacity at all.

And are you sure that it is the EXACT same ammunition you used before? I think that this is the real culprit.

It doesn't work like that...it's a cruiser/persuader model 500...it's basically the same gun without the bayonet lug and some of the beefier parts. Sorry for the incorrect model. Unscrewing the end lug only enables you to remove the barrel. The mag tube is solid.

1028112119.jpg

Edited by Ramjo
Posted Pic
I own the same model Mossberg myself and have seen the shell tube removed to clean another one with some interior rust.

Well I did spray the keck out of the interior with rem oil and got alot of brown liquid seeping out on the shells, so it could be rusty. :biglol: How did they go about removing the tube?

Well I did spray the keck out of the interior with rem oil and got alot of brown liquid seeping out on the shells, so it could be rusty. :grouchy: How did they go about removing the tube?

My LEA has a trainer we sent to Mossberg armory school; it was a simple friction fit and unscrewed. One guy held the gun another removed the shell tube.