I finally started reloading

Last weekend I picked a Dillon 550B and some associated accessories. I got the tumbler, scales, some brass, bullets, 9mm dies, etc. I had some brass I had been collecting for a while and went in with a couple of other guys and bulk ordered some primers - 2,000 9mm and 1,000 5.56mm. I also got a 5 drawer Craftsman tool box from Sears on clearance for $54 and change to use as my reloading tool box. Everything is set up and I have been cleaning brass in 9mm, .45, and .380 for the past couple of days. I already reloading about 30 rounds of the brass and bullets I bought with the press, but discovered I need a crimping die. I will be picking that up tomorrow hopefully with the strong mount and roller arm The Reloader's Bench had to order because they weren't in stock.

All in all, I'm pretty stoked about getting into reloading. As soon as I get my garage cleaned up a little bit I will actually have a pretty nice little area to reload. Right now I'm doing 9mm but .380, .45, and 5.56/.223 are also in my future.

Question: Do you folks buy a toolhead stand for every toolhead or place them carefully to the side/in a drawer?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The toolheads come in handy when you find that sweet load and don't intend to change anything! Slip it on and go to town. If your defense ammo and plinker can load to the same specs in say the 9mm, then you have really cut down your set up time and can't start rolling ammo in minutes. You mostly want to check the powder throw and go.

Guest Lester Weevils

I have the square deal B rather than 550, and have 3 quickchange toolheads with dedicated powder dispensers for .357, 9mm and .380 (am lazy and don't like adjusting stuff). Dunno if they make a square deal B toolhead stand, but had a bunch of 4X4 fencepost cutoffs. Waste not want not.

Drilled 4 holes to match the tool head pattern. Then cut a slot to hold the dillon plastic box which stores the shellholder and other assorted caliber change parts. I cut the slot a little wide and then put felt stick-on pads on both sides of the slot to grip the plastic box firmly and keep it from falling out too easy.

Got carried away and melted the edges with a belt sander, stain and polyurethane. They would have worked just as good without any finishing. Didn't turn out too bad for yellowood scrap.

SDBToolHeadStand.jpg

Mind if ask the costs involved in the necessary equipment? (Not the brass and primers and whatnot)

Not at all. I got it all at the Reloader's Bench in Mt. Juliet. Some of these are kind of near estimates. Don't remember all the exact prices.

550B Press - $429

• Press with handle
  • Powder throw
  • One caliber conversion of your choice included
  • Bullet catching bin
  • Primer tube with empty tube buzzer

Dillon strong mount - around $48

Dillon roller arm - around $43

Hornady electronic scale - about $32

Hornady case trimmer - around $65

Electronic caliper - around $10-15

Lee die set - around $30

Extra primer pickup tubes - around $20

Frankford Arsonal tumbler and media separator - around $70

Impact bullet puller - around $12

Other than that I got a few bullet boxes, a couple of ammo cans for my son, and some powder, bullets and shells. I already had purchased a couple thousand small pistol primers. I'd say the total for the stuff I really needed was probably around $800. A few other niceties and one or two unrelated items brought my total to $997. Everyone told me to plan on spending around $1000 to get started so that's what I budgeted and just about what I spent so I'd say it's a fair and accurate estimate.