Smokers?

Murgatroy

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Draxorian

Started smoking a pipe a few years ago. It's more maintenance and good pipes aren't cheap, but I get a pound of nice tobacco for about $40 on the net and I buy about 4-6 pounds a year. Compared to a approximately a carton a week of Swisher Sweets little cigars (cigarettes) which is what I used to smoke (when I quit they were less than $20 a carton now I'm pretty sure they're over $30 since individual packs are over $4... So 52 weeks x 1 carton/week at old prices = $1040/year. Pipe tobacco runs me approximately $160 to $240/year

I emember my Granny rolling her own in a contraption that was mounted in a wooden cigar box bottom...this was in the 60's. It had a roller with a trough where you loaded the tobacco, then you rolled it up half way and then licked the paper and inserted it amd then pushed it all the way down...pick out the loose tobacco sticling out the ends and voila! a pretty nasty tasting bugler tobacco cig...Me and my uncle would save our Winston and Marlboro filters sometimes once we found out we could roll them too! They ended up inside the paper but still worked, lol.

Then years later as a young adult, I remember in the 70's roilling your own in little machines became quite popular...I tried it, but it wasnt worth the effort to me since cigs were so cheap anyway. When I finally quit when I was in Germany (1990) and I was paying the commissary about $2.00 for a whole freaking carton of generics...obviously I quit for the health, not the cost, lol. Now I do pipes, and like those much better...though you can very easily negate any savings if you start buying too many expensives pipes, lol. For me loading a pipe properly is an art and can be a quite relaxing process, part of the ritual, and smoking a relaxing bowl of good tobacco is the bomb!

Ya'll do what ya want, freedom almost still rings for the smokers. I only ask you all to remember my ONE pet peeve about smokers, don't just throw your butts down anywhere you happen to be. The smoking area, the entrance to most buildings, the stop sign/lights. I've been lucky I haven't been burned yet by the thoughtless acts of smokers who just toss them out the window as I happen to be following on my bike (and NO I wasn't to close, those things fly like crazy in the vortex behind a vehicle). Spread the word please.

Ya'll do what ya want, freedom almost still rings for the smokers. I only ask you all to remember my ONE pet peeve about smokers, don't just throw your butts down anywhere you happen to be. The smoking area, the entrance to most buildings, the stop sign/lights. I've been lucky I haven't been burned yet by the thoughtless acts of smokers who just toss them out the window as I happen to be following on my bike (and NO I wasn't to close, those things fly like crazy in the vortex behind a vehicle). Spread the word please.
I understand completely.

I am the guy that stubs them out on his boot, then tosses them in the ashtray, or trashcan. I am standing at the far end of a parking lot to ensure that no one has to walk past my, or my smoke. I try to stand downwind.

Even use the ashtray in my car.

I choose to smoke, and I make sure that anyone that is offended must go out of their way to be.