Guest GlocKingTN

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did someone say Browning Hi Power??

:D

hahahahah

The browning is actually a BETTER pistol, in my opinion.

but I'm biased.

I came to the thread late.

Tungsten, I LOVE 1911's...awesome design....created by a genius!

oh wait...JMB came up with those...

I am vindicated.

:cool:

Better than what?

I like the Hi-Power. Almost bought one rather than the Beretta. Went with the 92SB because of reliability.

And it has a hammer to de-cock and re-cock, unlike some handguns.

Guest Voodoo_1

Mars,

I saw this on another forum this morning and instantly thought of you.

Definition of Glock

Main Entry: Glock

Pronunciation: Glock

Function: noun

Definition: A handgun manufactured in Germany

English Translation: Couldn't afford a Heckler & Koch :D

Did someone say Browning Hi Power??

hahahahah

but I'm biased.

I came to the thread late.

Tungsten, I LOVE 1911's...awesome design....created by a genius!

oh wait...JMB came up with those...

I am vindicated.

-----:D ---

-----JMB---

------^----

-----^^---

----^^^---

---^^^^---

--^^^^^--

:cool::bow:;)

Guest Voodoo_1
Glocks are Austrian. I guess I'm just one of the unwashed masses. Simple and effective are more important to me than style points.:up:

Thought they were Austrian. I just copied the reply word for word. No offense to all the Glock owners, just thought Marswolf would enjoy.:(

Mars,

I saw this on another forum this morning and instantly thought of you.

Definition of Glock

English Translation: Couldn't afford a Heckler & Koch :up:

Oddly enough (???) this matter came up while I was on a plane yesterday. Well, actually I was in a plane. :(

I was with some military and military type guys and we were talking about handguns. A bunch of us had owned Glocks but don't now. A couple of guys now own Glocks.

Someone asked them why they had a Glock rather than a H&K and the answer was the H&K cost. Another guy chimed in that what he was talking about was just money cost. The real cost comes if you have the wrong weapon for the job. (Whatever that might mean....)

Tally:

12 active combat guys age 20s - 50s

10 have owned Glocks

2 now own Glocks.

1 plans to keep it

FWIW

You know, for all of the publicity which Glocks recieve about ADs, which is blamed (mostly rightfully so) on the user, why do we bother with trigger locks?

It would seem to me that a finger-lock would be more appropriate! Something rigid like a finger-splint which could be removed before firing?

54577a7451706e58526a4c6368613442737841-150x188-0-0.jpg

I'm sure that Glock could include a Polymer model with every new pistol!

We may not agree, but I'm glad we've all kept our senses of humor. By the way Molon, nice touch w/ the crack about the polymer finger lock. I think you're right, trigger locks make about as much sense as a finger lock.

You know the ones I'm talking about, like the one on an electrical appliance that says "don't use this product in your pool". The sticker on the Glock box could say "If you don't intend to become proficient in the safe use of this product, DON'T BUY IT". Of course, the sticker would then have to be put on every new car!:D

You know the ones I'm talking about, like the one on an electrical appliance that says "don't use this product in your pool". The sticker on the Glock box could say "If you don't intend to become proficient in the safe use of this product, DON'T BUY IT". Of course, the sticker would then have to be put on every new car!:D

I like that idea!

Let's see... what warnings could we come up with?

"WARNING: DO NOT LOOK INTO THE BARREL WHILE LOADING OR FIRING THE WEAPON"

"WARNING: DEATH OR SERIOUS INJURY MAY RESULT IF USED TO DRIVE NAILS"

"NOTICE: PERSONS STRUCK WITH BULLETS FIRED BY THIS GUN MAY BECOME INCAPACITATED"

"NOT INTENDED FOR DRILLING"

"DO NOT USE IF DRENCHED IN GASOLINE OR OTHER FLAMMABLE LIQUID"

"WARNING: ANY LIVE CARTRIDGES LOADED IN THE CHAMBER WILL FIRE IF THE TRIGGER IS ACTIVATED"

"HAS BEEN SHOWN IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA TO CAUSE PERMANENT INJURY TO LABORATORY RATS"

"CAUTION: WHEN USING THIS DEVICE, MAKE SURE THAT NO CHILDREN OR PETS ARE IN FRONT OF THE MUZZLE"

I could go on...

The shooter of this pistol was using reloaded, full metal jacket ammunition. To the best of our understanding of the incident, the cartridge case was not sized properly, preventing the action from locking up fully, but allowing the action to close enough to fire the weapon. The result was an open breach detonation of the cartridge.
Not the Glock's fault in all likelihood.

Well, in a sense it is... because of the design flaw of the Glock which allows the gun to fire when out-of-battery.

The out of spec cartridge certainly contributed, but most pistols would not have allowed it to fire in the first place.

Well, in a sense it is... because of the design flaw of the Glock which allows the gun to fire when out-of-battery.

The out of spec cartridge certainly contributed, but most pistols would not have allowed it to fire in the first place.

A valid point.

I think I've posted about the POS American Ammunition I bought in 40 S&W for rapid fire practice. Looked OK, but some would not allow the USP to go into battery.

The first round that would not fire was a bit of a mystery to me. A cursory look at the handgun seemed OK. A closer look showed that the pistol was not quite fully in battery and that's why it properly would not fire.

There are just a number of problems with the Glock design.

Some years ago the American Cancer Society had an anti-smoking commercial. It was animated with a Bambi-like deer and the voice-over told you in a voice like you would talk to children about how cigarette smoking contributes to the risk of cancer.

At the end, the narrator asks, "...and why do we talk to you like children? Because when we speak to you as adults...you don't listen."

:)

With the commercial, that is. It seems that we (Glock guys) are making the adult argument, while you guys are doing the opposite (as if there is really an idiotproof pistol out there).

What's really rich, in my opinion, is that we're having this discussion about Glocks. I remember when the same arguments you make were made against 1911 pistols. I'm sure you remember: it will fire if dropped, trigger pull too light, outdated technology/bad design, too tough for the "average" shooter, ect. Now, magically, all those have disappeared. I wonder whatever happened to the people who used to say the same things about 1911s. I imagine they finally realized that they were "peeing up a rope" or public misinformation about the pistol changed so they lost their audience. I'm sure they never acknowledged that they just might be wrong.:)

I don't think that 1911s are the "cat's meow" either... but they are better in certain ways.

The potential for firing a cartridge out-of-battery is a BIG issue, and undeniably a predominantly Glock problem.

I've never been that crazy about the 1911 either as a carry weapon. That's why I bought my own Beretta to carry rather than be issued a M1911 back in the early 80s. But that's another matter and a long story. Everyone should own a 1911, just for fun and tradition.

Actually, I think the analogy between the 1911 and Glock is a good one. Both 1911 and Glock aficionados insist their handguns are the best in the face of mountains of contrary information, fair analysis, and reality.

It should be noted that the 1911 was improved with a firing pin block in the Series 80 to prevent the drop discharge problem. I know some people don't care for the Series 80, but it is safer and a good gunsmith can take care of the other "problems" with trigger pull and whatever.

I might also add that I've owned a couple of military 1911s and a number of more modern ones. The 1911 was improved significantly over the years in a lot of ways. It has never been a static design. There is a good reason a lot of earlier 1911s got the nickname "Jam-o-matic."

My point is that Colt didn't stick its head in the sand and pretend there was no safety problem. It seems to me that this is what the "Glockies" are doing. They are ignoring a number of design faults in the Glock. No matter how much is written and said about Glock problems, they choose to dismiss the critics as having some mysterious personal reason to say untrue nasty things about Glocks. But criticism of the Glock design is legitimate. It has some serious problems that should have been addressed long ago.

Glock needs to fix these problems. It needs a new design that fixes them instead of ranting against the critics and pretending their design is perfect. The Glock design never would have made it out the door at H&K or SIG or other quality gun manufacturers.

As Lilly Thomlinson's character Edit Ann used to say, "and that's the truth." :confused:

I don't believe I have ever said Glocks were the best. What I have said is that they are as good as any of the others that you mention.

Glocks are not perfect. The out of battery detonations and unsupported chambers in 40S&W are legitimate problems. No argument here on these. The rest of your argument is opinion, not fact. One can "fix" perceived (by them) problems by, for example, installing an 8-12lb trigger spring. This will not make them idiot-proof any more than making a DA revolver into a DAO will, but if it makes one "feel" better, oh well...

As to 1911s, my experience has been that a reliable one should not be fooled with and one that isn't reliable, probably never will be. Some of the "improvements" have turned out to be less than great. The Kimber series II external extractor is a good example of what kind of improvements not to do.

By the way, if Colt was so eager to "improve" the pistol, why did it take 70 years for them to "upgrade" to a firing pin block?

Speaking of SIGs, I wouldn't give a nickel for a dozen of them. The bore axis is too high, they have too many Germanic levers, and they have a nasty tendency to have horrible DA triggers followed by lighter SA triggers than any factory 1911 ever thought of having. Not a good combination, in my humble opinion. The one good thing about them is that they are very reliable. The difference is that I will concede that most of my complaints about SIGs (other than the DA/SA trigger combo) is just my OPINION. Doesn't make them bad, just not my cup of tea.

Once one cocks the hammer on a DA pistol, he probably has a lighter trigger than any Glock. I don't understand how anyone who advocates this can call the Glock trigger unsafe.

Pistols that work as advertised are not unsafe, people are. Different pistols have different manuals of arms. Ignore that at your own risk. Doesn't mean they should all be modified to work the same. If I have an HK P7, I had better learn the manual of arms for that pistol. If I shoot myself w/ it, rest assured I won't try to sue HK because I am an idiot.

Anyone who presents their opinions as fact, regardless of who agrees w/ them, runs the risk of looking foolish. Unless, of course, they are speaking to an audience that knows no better.

• Administrator

I've got nothing against Glocks except for the unsupported chamber design and even that's not a big deal to someone like me who used 100% factory loads in my Glock 27 and Glock 23.

I think anti-Glock sentiment can sometimes be summed up as the 2nd Amendment version of Ford vs Chevy. :confused: