Glock Gen 4

Guest JohnKnox003

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a reason. It worked for the most part, and they fixed the rest. I guess they could remain stagnant, and let Smith and Wesson get their market back.

I never suggested they should remain stagnant. I'm all for improving things that need it. I think the new grip, texture and mag release were all the result of pressure put on Glock from the consumer for a more ergonomic handgun. (which is a good thing).

All I'm saying is that the dual recoil spring did more harm than good. They should have left that part alone.

Edited by Erik88
...The only real difference that I notice is the trigger. It feels slightly mushy in comparison to the Gen3. In my opinion, the changes end up be a zero-net from the Gen3 to the Gen4 as the grip texture is an improvement, but the trigger is a step backwards.

I only had a few months of trigger time on a Gen 3 before I traded it. It was enough time to REALLY appreciate the difference in that trigger and the Gen 4 trigger that I have now. The fact that the Gen 3 was a G34 and the Gen 4 is a G17 makes a slightly unfair comparison. However, the competition connector and all explain the light, smooth, crisp break that the G34 had, but not why the Gen4 feels all mushy. It's almost like something plastic is bending during take-up. Any idea why?

True, but there was no need to mess with the recoil spring and it caused a lot of problems with many Gen 4's. There is zero benefit to having a dual spring IMHO.

Design changes should only be done if there is a good need or reason for doing so.

I heard that Glock sent out a lot of replacement recoil springs due to issues, like you mentioned. At the GSSF match I worked last May, I asked the factory guy about that. He said the recoil spring issue was mostly on guns with lights attached. He said something about the lights preventing the frame from flexing properly during recoil, so they had to go with a heavier spring to compensate. That makes sense, but I don't believe that bit about the issue being mostly on guns with lights. Do you?

Guest twpayne75
I have a Gen 4 23. I had a lot of issues with it when I first bought it and I was afraid I got one of the Gen 4 lemons. I finally narrowed the problem down to a single magazine that was causing all my problems. Since removing that mag from the lineup it has been flawless. In my opinion Glock should have left the recoil spring alone. I like the changes to the mag release and the grip but the recoil spring should have been left alone.

I also have a gen 4 26 that has had 1 stovepipe out of ~600-700 rounds.

The adapter that allows you to use a Gen 3 spring is very cheap. Seems like it's less than $20. They seem to work.

I had a Gen III 19 and a Gen III 17. Got a Gen IV 19 now with the TruGlo sights. Love the Glocks! Put well over 3k rounds with very few issues on the first G19. The one I have now I've got maybe 1k rounds through with one stovepipe. Usually my daily carry weapon. Dependable, easy to maintain, and comfortable to use. Just what I like!

I bought a brand new gen 4 glock 19 a couple of months ago. I've only had time to shoot 100 rounds through it, and I had 4 stovepipes! I couldn't believe it. I've heard you had to "break it in" by shooting at least 200 rounds through it, but we shall see. Overall, I love the new grip texture, the ability to change the mag release to the other side since I am a lefty, and the recoil seems a lot less then my father's gen 3 g19 that I have shot. Maybe it's just me. I am going to shoot it some more tomorrow, and I will give another succinct report on it.

I just shot another 150 rounds through my gen 4 g19 today. On the first 15 round magazine, I had two failure to ejects (FTE). I was somewhat disappointed when it happened, and I was not limpwristing. After about another 50 rounds, I had another failure to eject. Then, the rest of the rounds I fired through it I had no issues whatsoever. So, maybe there is something to that "breaking it in with 200 rounds" thing. I am beginning to suspect it's the type of 115 grain FMJ target ammo you use is what causes the malfunctions since the higher power hollow points I use for carry are 124 grain +P. Another thing that seemed to annoy me was sometimes the cartridges that were ejected would land on top of my head and sometimes hit me right in my eyes (good thing I wore safety glasses!). I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this issue. Well, that's all I have for now. I did also shoot my Bulgaria Makarov, and it peformed flawlessly as always. You cannot beat them either! Well take care everyone. :confused:

I'm a gen4 fan. Had a gen3 17 which I sold a long time ago, should have kept it. now a gen 4 22, flawless with the old rsa and new. Heard the problem seemed to occur when u hang something on the rail which I've never tried. Looking to swap my gen3 27 for a gen4 now.

Wasn't. Big on the rtf2 grip texture but I think they got it right on the gen4 models.

I never suggested they should remain stagnant. I'm all for improving things that need it. I think the new grip, texture and mag release were all the result of pressure put on Glock from the consumer for a more ergonomic handgun. (which is a good thing).

All I'm saying is that the dual recoil spring did more harm than good. They should have left that part alone.

They changed the spring for a reason. Granted, they probably missed the mark on the 9mm the first time out. I think it WAS an improvement in the 23 because it reduced recoil. It's not unusual to have to tweak a significant engineering change once the product hits the field. Doesn't mean the change should not have been done. What matters is that they fixed it. Personally, I'm glad my 23 kicks a little less.