How does one get started in competitive shooting sports?

okay maybe it's the mini strokes, brain hemorrhaging, white matter lesions all depends on which doctor you are at. but i guess am just a little confused, i just thought it was funny that you stated classic, about someone bragging how he beats people with his low budget gun. when you shoot a nice auto loader a M2 i think and like i said there was talk of you having a R & R racing gun. so i guess you saying was more like 4K for the open gun.

but anyway you only beat people in open with a open gun.

anyway about any auto loader that will run 100% out of the box will be about $1200 out the door with tax and tbi.

i know i saw the prepoduction mossy 935 that Benny Hill had that was going to a Jerry M. model that was suppose to have several reliably upgrades and race ready and retail $700-800 range but that still penty of money.

and yes it is the driver who makes the real differrance, but nice equipment does help. just look at the difference it made for NB Forrest going from 11-87 to FN. and even myself going from a 1100 competion master (which even Matt Burkett told me to drop it off at the garage dump) to a M2 even though my shooting shills have drop off a lot lately

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to clarify the 1100 I have isnt a special model, just the old bird gun model based off the A5 design. Flawless apart from not liking a couple of the rock bottom cheapest ammo. I have never seen nor tested a competition special edition 1100.

to clarify the 1100 I have isnt a special model, just the old bird gun model based off the A5 design. Flawless apart from not liking a couple of the rock bottom cheapest ammo. I have never seen nor tested a competition special edition 1100.

okay, lost again! What special edition?

the 1100 competition master, was a production gun, that was suppose to be made for the game. even there commericals show the competition master running the hell out low brass loads for the 3 gun game. it came from the factory with a 8 round tube and side saddle from 3 gun gear. i bought mine new clearance because Remington had already discontinued it. it was junk for me anyway. it was supposed counter the super X2 limited game gun. it looked just like what the FN SLP does now, just the FN does it better.

so please what special edition are you talking about?

yes there still some Remingstons out there that people use that run fine. there fewer every year. maybe the new model will change that. i know they are already saying things like the trigger groups are fully interchangeable with the M2 benilli

i do now remember the super X2 was a Super X2 Practical Limited i do believe. at the even Benilli had a factory offering for a open ready shotgun even set up for the speed loaders, as i recall. it was discontinued about the same time as the competition master was dropped.

Edited by RWF
forgetful
A buddy of mine talked me into doing a 3 gun match in September and I did see a lot of that stuff (tough guy talk; $8,000 rifles when a $1,000 rifle would do; shooting jerseys full of sponsors; generally douchey behavior), but there were a lot of normal people there too. Besides, whooping some jerkoff in a shotgun iteration with my $200 Mossberg 500 while he's shooting a tricked out $1200 autoloading shotgun

ignore the guys that take it serious. Seek advice from the wise and ignore the condescending advice from the d-bags.

Wow! An $8K rifle ? I'd like to see that. So these guys that have put in their time and money practicing and gained sponsors are douche's? Those are the guys who seem to have taken it serious and have gained the wisdom that you need to compete at higher levels. I don't understand your logic of calling these guys douche bags.....

okay, lost again! What special edition?

the 1100 competition master, was a production gun, that was suppose to be made for the game. even there commericals show the competition master running the hell out low brass loads for the 3 gun game. it came from the factory with a 8 round tube and side saddle from 3 gun gear. i bought mine new clearance because Remington had already discontinued it. it was junk for me anyway. it was supposed counter the super X2 limited game gun. it looked just like what the FN SLP does now, just the FN does it better.

so please what special edition are you talking about?

yes there still some Remingstons out there that people use that run fine. there fewer every year. maybe the new model will change that. i know they are already saying things like the trigger groups are fully interchangeable with the M2 benilli

i do now remember the super X2 was a Super X2 Practical Limited i do believe. at the even Benilli had a factory offering for a open ready shotgun even set up for the speed loaders, as i recall. it was discontinued about the same time as the competition master was dropped.

Right, mine is NOT a competition master. I had never heard of that before, actually. Its was a used, standard 1100 designed for bird hunting, with a couple of modifications. Its really just a plastic A5 with a big mag tube and a soft recoil pad -- I cannot tell much difference at all in it vs my browning. You can call it junk if you want, the price/value qualifies it, but it is reliable all day long.

Edited by Jonnin

just calling the one i had junk! many DNF's on shotgun stages. like i said some have them that run fine but there a fewer and fewer. by that i mean remingtons on the 3 gun circuit. Ft Benning (which is no longer) blue ridge, Pro Am etc.

at the KY state there a couple of older gentleman who use them, i have never seen them with anything alse.

just a note there is a use 1100 competion master at the sportmans store in Dickson. the grey stocks and factory tube are a dead give way.

Wow! An $8K rifle ? I'd like to see that. So these guys that have put in their time and money practicing and gained sponsors are douche's? Those are the guys who seem to have taken it serious and have gained the wisdom that you need to compete at higher levels. I don't understand your logic of calling these guys douche bags.....

+1 but 8K rifle maybe a strech, but would love to see it myself. i shot a JP CTR-02 (i am talking about AR platforms) several years ago that was totally recoiless, you do not even notice the bolt picking up the next round and going close. the most accurate was a LaRue in 308 at 1K last years Pro/Am 2 hits at of 5. i say it was the most accurate because they use the Horus rectile which was overwhemming to me with no first hand experinse with so all my effort was on the rectile and still got a first round hit!

maybe either one of these with some added equipment and the leupold 1 X 8 FFP scope would get you there. i know when the scopes first came out and i got to play with one. the rep said the model that will be released to the public well be 4K and it was. now i think you can get them in 3.2K-3.6K.

if you are a sponsored shooter you have to produce top finishes! i know one that got DQed at Benning and he was worried sick he would lose his sponsor.

now that rockcastle 3 day shotgun championship has been move to 29 June-1 July i do believe. now's your chance to strut your stuff with some of the best. its only 2 -3 hours from most anywhere in this state.

i sure Hognut with his mossy 500 would go up there and school them up in the maneul divisio!n :)

8K rifle: Thereabouts. Between a 3k rifle, 2Kish optic and then all the extra stuff thrown on it, yeah. Maybe more around 6K but all that little stuff adds up.

I don't think having a sponsor is a prerequisite for being a d-bag, however, it doesn't mean there aren't some. My comment regarding sponsored guys or guys wearing sponsor jerseys is referring to how that may make someone who is just getting started feel a little uncomfortable or out of place.

Believe it or not there are d-bags in the shooting community. These are the ones that can't stop self-fellating themselves in order to one up the other d-bags around them or try to make someone new to the sport feel like a total idiot. Ask me how I know. The first time I picked up an M4 wasn't at a competition, believe me. However, some d-bag (who is aware this is my first competition) is constantly up my a$$ trying to give me his sage advice on which way to store my mags (as if I'm a moron) or what kit I need to buy in order to reload faster (as if I haven't discovered the internet or haven't noticed all the guys walking around with wizzbang speed loaders and magpul gear on their belt). This guidance isn't being handed out because he genuinely cares, he is just self-fellating; making himself feel like he's just that good that everyone needs his advice. Really what I'm thinking the whole time is that I want to tell him to pound sand, but instead I make lots of trips to the bathroom or find ways to break contact instead of telling him to go find something shiny to play with... I really don't care what you did to your pistol to make it not hang up so much out of the holster, I really don't.

These are the guys I can't stand. They exist. They are the ones that make normal people not want to go back; ask me how I know.

Now, being new to this I figured I'd paint a picture to ease concerns of the OP since I can relate to his question since a few months ago I was in the same boat.

If my advice to the OP in some way offends you it is either because you fall into this category or you have such thin skin that something as innocuous as this gets your panties in a bunch. Either way, it was directed at the OP, not you, so if you want to throw a hissy fit keep it to yourself.

If my advice to the OP in some way offends you it is either because you fall into this category or you have such thin skin that something as innocuous as this gets your panties in a bunch. Either way, it was directed at the OP, not you, so if you want to throw a hissy fit keep it to yourself.

I didn't think my reply was throwing a hissy fit there scooter. I asked a simple question. You replied. I'll do anything I can to help a new shooter and further the sport of 3Gun/Multigun. I do take it serious. I love the sport! Yes it's a game and no I don't have any sponsors but I do wear one of those high speed low drag racing jerseys. If a shirt makes you feel uncomfortable then...... And if a new shooter shows up with his equipment and I see something that may help him, I'll tell him him. If he can't take advice from someone who has done it longer than he has then so be it. If it offends him or he takes it the wrong way, then I'm sorry. But for you to call guys douche bags just because they tried to help you out or wear certain clothes or patches(or at least sounded that way) is wrong. Maybe you shouldn't be giving advice since it sounds like you don't have any 3G/Multigun experience yourself. We'll be having another Action Shotgun match soon at ORSA. Bring that $200.00 Mossy up and play. Sounds like you can really run that thing. We also shoot Multigun every 3rd Sunday. Cmon up. New shooters are always welcome as we try to help them with their equipment and answer questions. I'll be sure to tell everyone no high speed, low drag racing jerseys. Also where is this 3Gun club where the douches shoot?

Sure thing. You're awesome. Hopefully someday I can bask in your awesomeness and get some great unsolicited advice on how I can strive to be as great as you. I see how my outlook on going somewhere and having a good time but being put off by those who take it too seriously was wrong of me. I intend to conform to your way of thought.

I will immediately go out and buy some shotgun shell caddies because my SAW pouch containing my shells adds valuable seconds to my reload time.

While I'm at it I'll be sure to grab some hard mag pouches for my belt because putting a 30 rounder in my back pocket doesn't guarantee positive muscle memory if I happen to shoot more than 30 rounds on a 12 round stage.

I guess while I'm doing that I should get an optic with magnification instead of using my red dot sight, that way I can better engage those targets past 100m.

I also should get earpro on a lanyard so I can just tie it to the back of my ball cap so I don't have to dig through my pockets and risk dropping them on the range, thus causing me to have to waste 25 cents in earpro occassionally.

I could go on but these are a snipit of what I'm talking about; no reasonable person can tell me that's not obnoxious. I never suggested not being receptive to advice; there were plenty of guys I took advice from when I asked in normal conversation. I don't need it imposed upon me against my will. The fact that you seem so bugged by my advice and continue to take offense suggest that you fall into this category. You are the reason people like me don't want to participate in something that should be fun. So, I'll tell you what I never told those folks: Mind your own business; if I want advice I'll ask for it. I don't care if you can outshoot me, I really don't. If you really need validation then here it is again: You are just so awesome that you have developed a gravitational pull that causes people of equal or lesser awesomeness to orbit around you.

Edited by TMF 18B

General comment for new shooters!

Don't let the fact that someone is wearing a "sponsored" jersey put preconceived ideas in your head. I bet if you walk up to 99 of 100 shooters wearing a team jersey they would go out of their way to engage you in conversation, answer a question or help you in any way they could.

Now if a shooter is "on deck" to shoot and he is standing there trying to visualize his run, sponsored or not it's not the best time to engage anyone in conversation. For the record, yes I wear a team jersey. Anyone wearing a team jersey that acts like an idiot isnt likely to be wearing that team's jersey for long.

got it! me understand now!:) now i will be the first to say i am obnoxious, but not in the way you are talking about. at normal club matches i am having fun loud and joking around. because of this there are some who do not like to shoot with me and the wife. and yes if i see someone having trouble or can tell they are doing this the hard way. i wil make a suggestion and will always try get to ask them after the match to try mine or the wife's equipment. because there have been many times they try our stuff and they see first hand what a difference it makes. i know the last one was a husband and wife, the wife had the same pistol that my wife had and had trouble all day getting hits. she reshot the last stage with wife's pistol not only faster but did not miss anything. but i do not run around saying look at me, unless of course i think you need a good laugh.

just a note the fancy shirts with all the sponsor do not mean anything. we had some made for us. we were team wicked (wicked for my wife the wonderfully wicked wanda) she was team capt and i was and still the team sponser. you just need to know who to ask to get permission to get written okay to use trade marked logo's we do not wear them anymore cause we both got to fat for them.

just kept going to lots of matches and you quickly learn who you do and do not want to be squaded with. just remember there will always someone who knows it all, hell one time up north a real live GI Joe was at the match, wearing a old kelvar, uniform and other gear. thankfully we did not get squaded with him. just like at IDPA there are those who truely believe it not just a game, but real world life saving stuff. good luck and fun.

Heh there are blowhards in everything, 3 gun is no different. They are easier to spot and avoid in shooting sports, actually. Its really easy: they will first tell you how anyone can do great and that the sport is designed so that gear does not matter, then 5 seconds later will be telling you how to spend $2k on gear that you "really should consider buying". Even at the very casual club I go to, I have had people try to get me to buy stuff that I do not need, a "better" range bag, a mag loader device for my AR (because I don't have 30 min or so between stages to reload a magazine, I need to do it faster?!), and more. Go have fun, & if you want to take it serious, look at what people have and use and more important, watch if and how it helps them shoot faster or better or something. A lot of the junk is just that.... pricy junk that has no effect apart from looking more "pro" or "taticool" or "idiotic" depending on how you look at such things. A few of the items really make huge differences in peoples scores. Figure out which is which before you run off to buy any of it, and if you are not serious about the sport, most of the toys can be ignored.

Ha, yeah I go out to have fun, not to win. I mean, I don't mind winning but if I pull a shot I don't curse myself for it or even care. It's the ones that get out there and just stress about every little shot as if it's such a big deal. I guess if it is to them then they're missing something in life, but I'm not going to be convinced it should matter to me. It takes away from the fun I'm having when I'm forced into an environment of those who take it serious. The only thing serious at these things is safety. I have no issues showing up in a T shirt and jeans, carrying my extra mag in my back pocket and using a pouch of some sort to hold my shells. No one else should have an issue with that either, and when they do it's annoying. I guess there are folks like that in everything, but to me it's a little comical when guys get waaay into it as if they're some kinda super operator; and yeah, that's the part I'm pointing out regarding the tough guy patches and posturing, it's a joke to me. It's just paper. Trust me, if the paper shot back all that cool crap would go out the window.

I am not worried about feeling overpressured.

I have been a car guy since before I could ride a bike. My bull**** meter is pretty good. Plus, even if someone believes in throwing money at any and all problems, they still may have an answer.

The gear thing is something that I would have to learn about to be sure. Right now I have a couple of pistol mag pouches, but that is it. To date, any and all shooting I have done has been at a range style session, if not always at a range. I have a bag that I carry all my goodies in, and an ammo can that carries my recommended daily allowance of ammunition.

I see a bunch of you guys talking about belts, and some about vests, which is more popular? I am a normal sized guy, fit I guess would be fine, but the idea of carrying several loaded magazines for rifle and pistol (and shotgun if I go mag fed) seems to be a lot of pressure on a belt. Especially if I intend to carry my pistol on there as well. Is a vest considered bad form? Or is it just too cumbersome?

I should have my first AR finished in a few weeks, which is probably what I will be using for a rifle (I have an AK if I have to push it though) and my carry is a Glock 19. I figure those will be fine for starting.

The shotgun is where I lack. I have a coach gun that I am pretty sure I could run well for a coach gun, but I am pretty sure it would be abysmal compared to anyone that actually knew what they were doing. How well do pumps stack up? Or does it have to be an automatic to be competitive? I am not looking to be the fastest and the best out the gate, but I don't want to have to buy four guns over the course of a year to be competitive. If a pump gun will last me a year or so if I get heavy and then I can upgrade to an semi-auto that might make my wallet feel better.

I don't mind buying a new gun, my wife might, but she will get over it. I just don't want to have to buy several new guns.

And for the record, nothing I have read so far has made me scared of trying this out.

Sure thing. You're awesome. Hopefully someday I can bask in your awesomeness and get some great unsolicited advice on how I can strive to be as great as you. I see how my outlook on going somewhere and having a good time but being put off by those who take it too seriously was wrong of me. I intend to conform to your way of thought.

I will immediately go out and buy some shotgun shell caddies because my SAW pouch containing my shells adds valuable seconds to my reload time.

While I'm at it I'll be sure to grab some hard mag pouches for my belt because putting a 30 rounder in my back pocket doesn't guarantee positive muscle memory if I happen to shoot more than 30 rounds on a 12 round stageI guess while I'm doing that I should get an optic with magnification instead of using my red dot sight, that way I can better engage those targets past 100m.

I also should get earpro on a lanyard so I can just tie it to the back of my ball cap so I don't have to dig through my pockets and risk dropping them on the range, thus causing me to have to waste 25 cents in earpro occassionally.

I could go on but these are a snipit of what I'm talking about; no reasonable person can tell me that's not obnoxious. I never suggested not being receptive to advice; there were plenty of guys I took advice from when I asked in normal conversation. I don't need it imposed upon me against my will. The fact that you seem so bugged by my advice and continue to take offense suggest that you fall into this category. You are the reason people like me don't want to participate in something that should be fun. So, I'll tell you what I never told those folks: Mind your own business; if I want advice I'll ask for it. I don't care if you can outshoot me, I really don't. If you really need validation then here it is again: You are just so awesome that you have developed a gravitational pull that causes people of equal or lesser awesomeness to orbit around you.

Well, don't really know what to say on that one. All I asked was what the logic was behind you calling guys douche bags with sponsor jerseys. Seems that hit a nerve/offended or otherwise pissed you off. Why, I have no idea but I'm sure the Match Director at the offending club would like to know how his new shooters are being treated. My guess is the offending douches would like to know also.What was the name of the club again? I didn't see it in your post....

Edited by DaG

I have been a car guy since before I could ride a bike. My bull**** meter is pretty good. Plus, even if someone believes in throwing money at any and all problems, they still may have an answer.

The gear thing is something that I would have to learn about to be sure. Right now I have a couple of pistol mag pouches, but that is it. To date, any and all shooting I have done has been at a range style session, if not always at a range. I have a bag that I carry all my goodies in, and an ammo can that carries my recommended daily allowance of ammunition.

I see a bunch of you guys talking about belts, and some about vests, which is more popular? I am a normal sized guy, fit I guess would be fine, but the idea of carrying several loaded magazines for rifle and pistol (and shotgun if I go mag fed) seems to be a lot of pressure on a belt. Especially if I intend to carry my pistol on there as well. Is a vest considered bad form? Or is it just too cumbersome?

I should have my first AR finished in a few weeks, which is probably what I will be using for a rifle (I have an AK if I have to push it though) and my carry is a Glock 19. I figure those will be fine for starting.

The shotgun is where I lack. I have a coach gun that I am pretty sure I could run well for a coach gun, but I am pretty sure it would be abysmal compared to anyone that actually knew what they were doing. How well do pumps stack up? Or does it have to be an automatic to be competitive? I am not looking to be the fastest and the best out the gate, but I don't want to have to buy four guns over the course of a year to be competitive. If a pump gun will last me a year or so if I get heavy and then I can upgrade to an semi-auto that might make my wallet feel better.

I don't mind buying a new gun, my wife might, but she will get over it. I just don't want to have to buy several new guns.

And for the record, nothing I have read so far has made me scared of trying this out.

DO NOT GO TO A MATCH WITH THE PISTOL MOUNTED TO YOUR CHEST!

I am sure it would be a major safety issue.

the only time i have seen people with a vest, is in Bama at a tactical rifle match. now at 3 gun some will wear shot shell vest. for large shotgun stages. most use a belt you are allowed add and remove gear as needed for the stage. unless you shoot trooper. but that will be another story.

forgot, i need correct myself. okay this is my age talking, at rifle matches the commie style chest rifle mag holder is used by some. my first thoughts were of (no disrespect meant) was of the tact cool guys wearing the US style chest protecter/rig. but most of them keep there reload from around the belt.

Edited by RWF

the glock 19 will be fine, shotgun (my 2 cents) is work, first if want a autoloader just go ahead and spend the money. no matter which kind, reloading is key. there several styles just fine someone to show you, weak hand, there is one with the gun on the shoulder, the 2 round load chest rig is getting really big.

good luck

also, i would like to add that a little red wagon or a baby stroller will be a big help and would work with the long guns bagged and your ammo can, AR mags, shotshell holders etc. until you figure out how far down the rabbit hole you wish to go.

Edited by RWF
Well, don't really know what to say on that one. All I asked was what the logic was behind you calling guys douche bags with sponsor jerseys.

Never once did I say that. The only time I mentioned guys in jerseys was to point out to the OP that there ARE guys there that will be decked out and I know that can turn some people off and make them feel out of place. If you read back I mentioned that having a jersey or a sponsor isn't a prerequisite for being a douche bag. But if you want to continue to see what you want that is fine. Don't try to control this board and act like someone elses advice doesn't matter. The world doesn't revolve around you, so if people happen to be turned off my certain things that is okay. You don't get to be pissy about it or question why. Now, mind your own business and get over it already. I'm tired of having to defend what I believe to be reasonable advice given with good intentions.

I agree with getting an autoloader if that is your ultimate intention. However, I don't believe a pump is that big of a disadvantage. I shuck my cartrige while transitioning to another target which is almost as fast as an autoloader, especially if the targets are spread out enough that the transition and sight picture acquisition from one to the other takes a second. I also like using my pump because there's no trap door to get my thumb caught on during reloads which can sometimes happen with some of the autoloaders when you're trying to reload quick (stupid fingers) so I think I make a little time up there.

The shotgun is where I lack. I have a coach gun that I am pretty sure I could run well for a coach gun, but I am pretty sure it would be abysmal compared to anyone that actually knew what they were doing. How well do pumps stack up?

okay, for the rest of what you asked about. AR mags, its good to bring 4 or 5 (not to be carried) once and awhile you may have a stage, were going to each position you have to pick a new mag that you staged there. also if one craps out on you. but i will always use a extra hi cap mag so i do not have to reload. but always carry 1 on my belt for the oh shxt facter. i really like the ones that Jeff Gordon makes, they hold as many as the pmag with the 28 round extenision but are several inches shorter. now if you are shooting at green river they down load you to 20 rounds each but still 2 mags gets it done.

also pmag should soon release a 40 round mag for the 20-25 price range.

for the game use a 50 yard zero, for most bullets this will work fine from 0 - 200.

get a playing card or a busniess card learn how to hit it at 3-5 yards and at 25-30. oh yes turn the card side ways so it is a short target. it is harder than you think.

if you a young man most can run a pump fairly quick but you wil be behind the power curve, i have no personal knowlodge of this but have heard on a pump gun a 3.5" because of huge loading port is the way to go.

If you are going to get a pump, consider that new kel tec with the high cap and slug/shot tubes so you can pick your ammo type for those stages, etc. I have not yet held one, but surely a few people have tried one by now so you should be able to find an online review. I have never seen a pump gun win a shotgun stage, though I have only done it for 1 year. It may not be a huge disadvantage, and its not going to jam, but there has to be a reason the pump guys are slower week after week. Im sure some pro shooter can jockey a pump in amazing ways, just like a pro revolver guy can make an average semi auto shooter look like a fool, but give an average shooter a pump or an auto, he is likely to do better with the auto from what I have seen. There is an iron man or something class where you use iron sights, pump shotgun, and other difficult to use gear, but that is another story, few shoot that class and fewer still do it regularly (sometimes a random person decides to do it once or twice a year for fun).

Come on out to ORSA this Sunday. Sign up at 9:30 and match at 10:00. The match code will be on the posted on the entrance gate. You can see what every body is using. Several guys run pump guns. Yeah they're a little slower on some stages but they are easier I think to load faster. Main thing is get some equipment and show up. All I carry are 2 hi cap mags on the belt and AR mag in the pocket. I do have 2 AR mags cinched together in the gun just in case. If you need shell caddies let me know I have several. Can't use them, my fingers just don't work well enough.

" If you need shell caddies let me know I have several. Can't use them, my fingers just don't work well enough."

WHAT! hell i was looking for some schooling from you at the next one! now whats the point of driveing way over there! :)

Jonnin: even if that shotgun runs i would not recommend it to any one. there way to many rules out there, he could be easly get bump to open because it can hold more than 8 in the tube. i have only seen posted feed back. at last years PRO/AM it was written there was 1 at the match and got off 3 shots and it was done with 2 more days left.

and i understand it-its a 18"cyl bore, just me