How does one get started in competitive shooting sports?

I shoot a lot of holes in paper. I like it and I have fun doing it.

However recently I have been thinking of trying some shooting sports.

I live in Knoxville and have zero experience shooting anything other than paper.

What is available locally and how would one get started? I am aware there are several different forms of competitions, and to be honest, I have no idea what is involved in the different forms.

I plan on taking a carbine course this coming year, but I would also like to try getting into at least one shooting sport.

Any advice?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
I shoot a lot of holes in paper. I like it and I have fun doing it.

However recently I have been thinking of trying some shooting sports.

I live in Knoxville and have zero experience shooting anything other than paper.

What is available locally and how would one get started? I am aware there are several different forms of competitions, and to be honest, I have no idea what is involved in the different forms.

I plan on taking a carbine course this coming year, but I would also like to try getting into at least one shooting sport.

Any advice?

I know they have lots of competitions at ORSA here in Oak Ridge. Most people I've ever talked to say just to show up and jump in.

Yes, come on out to ORSA and join the fun. You can get some details at orsaap.com (click on the various logos for more info). We will be shooting USPSA on Dec 17 (always on the 3rd Saturday of the month). We always welcome new shooters - typically there will be 1-5 new shooters each month. Bring your 9 mm or larger handgun ( I recommend a semi-auto), a holster, 4 or 5 mags, and mag pouches, and about 150-200 rounds of ammo. Please show up at 9:30 for the match. Cost is $15 for non-ORSA members. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. We also shoot IDPA on the first Saturday, Cowboys shoot on the 2nd Saturday, and Steel Challenge shoots on 4th Saturday (though no match in Dec).

+1 on just show up and do try it. that is the hardest part. like they said a good pistol (all safies working) holster and aleast 3 mags but 5 would better. also a couple mag holsters would be nice. just be willing to lesson and follow instructions.

A couple of months back I started going to 3-gun matches and had a good time. I've been shooting tactically for a long time but never for sport. I had my reservations because I've been on the range so often with guys that participate in competitions in their offtime that I got a generally bad vibe from it. A lot of tough guy talk and wearing of patches with skulls on them is a big annoyance of mine, so I didn't want to be on a range full of cats like that. A buddy of mine talked me into doing a 3 gun match in September and I did see a lot of that stuff (tough guy talk; $8,000 rifles when a $1,000 rifle would do; shooting jerseys full of sponsors; generally douchey behavior), but there were a lot of normal people there too. I understand that it's intimidating to show up for something to have fun and be around a bunch of people that take it way too serious, but there were enough grounded people around to make the experience one that I intend on doing more. Besides, whooping some jerkoff in a shotgun iteration with my $200 Mossberg 500 while he's shooting a tricked out $1200 autoloading shotgun after listening to an hour of him talk about how awesome he is at shooting paper was worth the trip.

Bottom line, have fun with it, be safe and ignore the guys that take it serious. Seek advice from the wise and ignore the condescending advice from the d-bags.

International Defensive Pistol Association - Affiliated Club Contact Information

Lots of places to shoot IDPA in NETN. If you look around you can shoot fairly close to home almost any weekend.

I shoot all over the place, even try to plan business trips and vacations so I can get in a match with clubs in other states.

You can check out the rules on the IDPA website. Some of the equipment descriptions may leave your head spinning, but if you have a carry rig, get a mag holder and a few extra mags and just show up.

In my experience every one has fun at local matches, and love to help out newbies with advice. Just don't show up to watch, it's too much fun to be a bystander.

A couple of months back I started going to 3-gun matches and had a good time. I've been shooting tactically for a long time but never for sport. I had my reservations because I've been on the range so often with guys that participate in competitions in their offtime that I got a generally bad vibe from it. A lot of tough guy talk and wearing of patches with skulls on them is a big annoyance of mine, so I didn't want to be on a range full of cats like that. A buddy of mine talked me into doing a 3 gun match in September and I did see a lot of that stuff (tough guy talk; $8,000 rifles when a $1,000 rifle would do; shooting jerseys full of sponsors; generally douchey behavior), but there were a lot of normal people there too. I understand that it's intimidating to show up for something to have fun and be around a bunch of people that take it way too serious, but there were enough grounded people around to make the experience one that I intend on doing more. Besides, whooping some jerkoff in a shotgun iteration with my $200 Mossberg 500 while he's shooting a tricked out $1200 autoloading shotgun after listening to an hour of him talk about how awesome he is at shooting paper was worth the trip.

Bottom line, have fun with it, be safe and ignore the guys that take it serious. Seek advice from the wise and ignore the condescending advice from the d-bags.

Classic!

There are a lot of different types of competitions, from active paramilitary type stuff (3 gun or offensive pistol (IDPA)) to bulls-eye (high accuracy) or precision rifle, skeet and other shotgun games, and more. The things to look at to get started are how much you are willing to spend (a set of bullseye pistols for a serious shooter can be over 4k!, and 3 gun isnt cheap at 1-2k for gear and guns) while IDPA just uses any old 9mm pistol ($250 if you want to be cheap at it) or shotgun stuff can be done with a $200 gun. Another thing to look at is how physically active you want to be vs just shooting; if you love to run relay races, 3 gun or IDPA is for you, if you like to just shoot, precision rifle or bullseye or the like may be your sport. You also can learn a lot by reading the official rules of the sport and dedicated forums/topics for the sports, to get a feel for what is done. *** I give IDPA a hard time because the rules prevent me from using my carry gun in my carry configuration to practice defending myself. Its FUN, but it is also frustrating with all the restrictions (caliber, holster, belt, ammo, and more are regulated to the nth degree) combined with courses where you charge down a mob in the most ramboish, unrealistic scenarios possible.

Thanks guys.

I think I might be most interested in moving stuff, either 3 Gun or IDPA, I guess it is time to start researching.

I have a good pistol, am building a couple of good rifles (and have a few) but I guess I am lacking in the shotgun department as I just sold my pump. I have a coach gun, but I doubt that would be decent.

I suppose I am looking for something with real world skills, I doubt I would ever be in a scenario where I had a chance to go for a bullseye while defending me and mine.

I guess I will start my google-fu and head out to ORSA in the near future, do I need to be a member to participate, or is just showing up cold alright?

Just come on out to ORSA. Non-members are welcome, but if you like shooting, you will be very tempted to join. It is a great facility with very low annual dues.

USPSA is similar to IDPA, but with more fun/targets/shooting, plus USPSA has fewer.....a....uh......restrictive rules. We shoot USPSA on the 3rd Saturday of the month at ORSA. Come on out on the 17th and join the fun. However regarding the "ramboish unrealistic scenerios" in IDPA, it is a game, everybody knows it is a game with cardboard targets; I don't want to shoot just 2 to 4 shots everytime at 1 or 2 targets in a "realistic stage," I want to shoot a bunch of ammo at a mob of cardboard targets.

Edited by 2Alpha

wow! lots of opinions out there, i do agree with alot of what Jonnin said, but to me there is very little movement in IDPA, course are short with low round count. USPSA there is alot more freedom to shoot the course the way you want to shoot it with twice the round count. that is why a fat slow guys like myself does better at idpa than uspsa.

and yes there some who believe IDPA is tactical real world. but it is just a game, like anyother game.

IDPA does more retreating and USPA is 98% moving forward.

just my 2 cents, "real world" retreating maybe P.C. but can be unheathy.

Classic!

BTW, I was going to go out to Dickson for the 3 Gun Match in October but it was too close to my wife's due date. I haven't shot MCTS yet but I most certainly will in the spring. I'll be the one with the least tricked out M4, G19 and, of course, my stock Mossy 500 w/ bead sight!

Thanks guys.I think I might be most interested in moving stuff, either 3 Gun or IDPA, I guess it is time to start researching.I have a good pistol, am building a couple of good rifles (and have a few) but I guess I am lacking in the shotgun department as I just sold my pump. I have a coach gun, but I doubt that would be decent.I suppose I am looking for something with real world skills, I doubt I would ever be in a scenario where I had a chance to go for a bullseye while defending me and mine.I guess I will start my google-fu and head out to ORSA in the near future, do I need to be a member to participate, or is just showing up cold alright?
A startup shotgun is cheap, and pumps are difficult in 3-gun anyway, it puts you at a slight disadvantage over the autos. If you do not get a saiga mag fed shotgun or one of those "load 5 with a widget" systems put in, you can do well for under $300 total. A tube extension, recoil pad, possibly have a smith work on it to cycle weak loads, and maybe a tweak to the loading ramp and its good enough for a long time. I doubt I have $200 total in my rem 1100. These sports will teach you some skills --- how to swap weapons fast, reload fast, shoot fast, but the rules and scenarios are not good training for real life, as you will take a "rambo" approach to every fight, charging down the guns no matter how many. I would go with low expectations on how much practical training you will get. If you want training, take a good class. If you want fun, go to a sport. If you approach a real fight against 5+ armed enemy the way these sports do, I give you a 1 in 50 chance of walking out, tops. You can show up cold but best to know at least how much ammo will be required, how long it may take, how much it costs to play, and so on. Bullseye may be impractical, but I can assure you that if you get all 10 ring shots in the rapid fire phase, you could put that to some practical use in a fight --- and if the target is bigger and closer, so much the better. Not the most recommended training, perhaps, but hitting what you aim at every shot has value. Edited by Jonnin

I've shot at several of the clubs in TN. Manchester, Gallatin, Dickson, Brush Creek, OakRidge and Bristol. There's 4 or 5 that I haven't had a chance to yet.There all good clubs and will help you get into shooting. Some of them have more options to chose from (IDPA's hard enough for me) There's some really good guy's running these clubs and as long as your safe you'll always feel welcome and they'll be happy to answer any questions you have. Be careful it's Addictive.

whole on, the word on the street was that someone had a R & R racing Saiga! now wouldn't that be around 3K total cost including the cost of the shotgun? :)

I've seen alot of high dollar guns get beat by what some call a plastic gun. It isn't as much the gun as it is the shooter. You just need a dependable one that'll fire every time and you'll do good

whole on, the word on the street was that someone had a R & R racing Saiga! now wouldn't that be around 3K total cost including the cost of the shotgun? :)

Nope!!! that would be 480.00 (on GunBroker before the prices got outrageous) for the shotgun, 3400.00 for the work done and a few hundred on the surefire magazines.....what can I say, I love the color blue. Really don't need an Open shotgun to beat people. I have been doing it with a 500.00 Mossberg 590. I like buying things. If you have it spend it!