What about a black rifle that isn't all black....

Alright. So I recently picked up a DPMS Sportical AR. Got it for a great price and was kind of interested in having a lighter carbine. I have a Ruger SR556 that is loaded up, awesome rifle, but heavy. So. I get the DPMS and break it down to inspect and being the guy I am realize this will never do. Even though the upper receiver is shy of several attributes, it is also very thick walled, and close to normal weight.

Being a self employed tool and die maker has its perks. I took it upon myself to put the upper on a diet. And now I plan on relieving a few areas on the lower as well(Pmags are way too tight).

So that brings me to the part about black rifles and them having to be black. What if I dont Durocaot, paint, re-anodize, etc. the receivers and just leave them as is. Heaven forbid an AR have a shiny spot on it right???Receivers.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now of course the rest of the rifle will be all black. Magpul furniture. Aimpoint optics. And the lower won't have as much shiny aluminum as the upper when its done. I don't know, for some reason I think it kinda looks cool. I mean we want polished stainless 1911s, and polished stainless revolvers. I have a fully polished Ruger 10/22. Granted the AR is not a show piece, so no polished finish for her, but machined finish is rugged and industrial looking. And by the way, because I know it will be asked. This rifle will be possibly used for an entry 3 gun rifle. I'm still kinda toying with the idea of getting into that. Otherwise it will be nice to have a light rifle my son and wife can enjoy shooting...

peejman... I didnt weigh it before and after, but it weighs about half of what it did just guessing. Those smooth side uppers are THICK!

dub....thanks I will post a pic when I put it back together,

DaddyO.....lol, oh it will still be evil.

Lager....I would consider it. What kind of upper do you have now?

poak... I have done a Taurus and a Sigma stainless slide and they looked really good.

Stainless lower parts kit. Interesting ...

I'll agree that shiny parts would look good, but wouldn't stainless defeat the purpose? Its heavy.

You might consider putting some sort of clear coat over the machined area. It'll get hazy/scratched pretty easily.