Snubbies

Guest mikedwood

Guest mikedwood

I have a friend that got a snub nose Taurus Ultra Light and when he did I asked him "Why? You aren't going to hit anything with that over 3 feet away!" He laughed at me. Rightfully so.

We took it to Coal Creek the other day along with others and had a blast, I must say. He took out the stubbie and I laughed as he ran the target out to 25 yards and got 2 bulls eyes and I think a 9, 8 and a 7, at 25 yards! I was thinking "Oh the words I have to eat on this one" He let me shoot it an while not as good as his I got 1 bull, 3 more in the target area and a flier in the cardboard (that's how I roll). I was freaking shocked! Now I must have one.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest darkstar

Like anything you just need to practice.....Snubbies are great I have a S&W 642 and I love it. I highly reccomend them, slips right into a front pocket. Works well for me with a DeSanto Nemisis pocket holster as well (helps to break up the shape in the pocket and keepls lint off of it)

Guest GLOCKGUY

i wouldn't mind having one to use when I'm in a hurry and dont have time to put my holster on just slip it in my pocket and go

I feel well protected with my SP101, I like more capacity although 5 is probably enough for the citizen self defense encounter.

I always thought the snubby was the perfect weapon for the scenario of a car jacking or you were in a wrestling match with the thug where a quick draw without a perfect grip and no safety was needed. When I wear my SP101 it's in a Galco hip holster but going for a quick night walk in the yard it slips nicely into your pocket. I do wish it had a different grip, one a little thicker and textured.

That being said, I still wear my Glock 22 when I can wear shirts to conceal it but the little stout Ruger conceals much nicer in an untucked t-shirt in the hot summer.

Guest wheelgunner100

Saw Bob Munden on American Shooter once hit a 9" balloon at 200 yards with a Smith snubbie. I can't do that but I have kept 9 out of 10 rounds inside the 9 ring on a B-27 target from 50 yards with a Ruger SP-101.

• Administrator

I've never had illusions of being able to group tightly with my little S&W 442. But for a close up and dirty self-defense weapon that drops into a pocket where I might have otherwise just carried a locking pocket knife... you can't beat a J-Frame. :D

Guest DrBoomBoom

There's plenty of accuracy in a snubbie for most pistol distances. The biggest problem is the sight radius. I've got three snubnoses, a 642 (really my wife's), a Taurus 9mm moonclipped, and a Rossi .44 special three inch hammerless. There's nearly always one of them with me.

I used to run 6" plate racks with a snub-nosed .38 at a range I used to go to. 5 plates, 5 rounds @ 25yd.

The length of the barrel really doesn't make the gun very much more or less accurate... but it makes a big difference in the sight radius, and thus how easy it is to shoot accurately.

You beat me to it, Eddie. While not the smallest frame snub out there, I have a mod 64 2" that is great to shoot. When I apply some effort, I shoot it just about as well as my 6" guns. ('Course, that's not saying much!) Like you said, pay attention and you can shoot them very well.

However, at 50 yards and more, there is SEVERE bullet drop, due to the lower velocities generated from the 4" shorter barrel.

Guest mikedwood

I got the Taurus snubbie off my friend today he was wasn't really wanting to sell it but he was needing a spot of cash and he knew I was hooked on the snubbie. I need another caliber gun like I need a hole in the head but, ahhh what the heck.

.38 is pretty cheap right?

+1 on this comment and set-up.

Like anything you just need to practice.....Snubbies are great I have a S&W 642 and I love it. I highly reccomend them, slips right into a front pocket. Works well for me with a DeSanto Nemisis pocket holster as well (helps to break up the shape in the pocket and keepls lint off of it)
Saw Bob Munden on American Shooter once hit a 9" balloon at 200 yards with a Smith snubbie. I can't do that but I have kept 9 out of 10 rounds inside the 9 ring on a B-27 target from 50 yards with a Ruger SP-101.

I saw that too....what an incredible shot! :cheers: Bob Munden is my hero! :D

Guest db99wj

Carried mine (Rossi) as a primary last night for the first time, got a blackhawk IWB nylon holster for it, forgot it was there.

Guest mikedwood

The Rabbi is talking about having Taurus 9mm snubbie in the vendors section. That would be nice. I'm trying to go for all 9mm but failing miserably. But I just got this Taurus .38 Ultra Light and love it.

I'm pretty sure I'm cash poor atm after this one, my transmission breaking and needing new tires. Glad I got the snubbie just before all the other happened or I probably wouldn't have done it.

Guest mikedwood

Sorry to post below mself but I had to add, I got the Taurus Ultra Light from my friend and love it. Got some little belt holster with it and it hides very well. I've been going on and on about how much I over paid for the gun cause that's what we do when we sell stuff to each other. Anyway he had a break away holster that he wouldn't throw in with the gun, just wouldn't do it.

He calls me today and says he needs some help with something, yeah sure whatever, he tells me to bring snubbie cause we are going to shoot later. I get there and he has taken the break away holster and made a leather shoulder holster for it that is awesome. Says it's mine! I'd say to order that would be expensive. I may post some pictures of it.

I have a feeling that snubbie is going to be my carry, it just conceals so well in so many ways now. I'm going to apply for my permit tomorrow I hope.

Guest mikedwood

I'm gonna get one of those also Gunslinger. Plus it will just fit in my pocket or about anywhere.

I was at Wal-mart yesterday and the WWB in .45 was the same as the WWB 38 ammo. I need to shop around. Im thinking of taking up reloading.

Guest russman37801

I've got the ultra ligt taurus too, it's my carry gun. I used it to shoot when I took the cary permit class. Most of the folks there had the same opinion-snubby can't hit anything. I out shot the whole class, put 48 rounds in 8x or better. They turned into beleivers too.

Guest mikedwood

A month ago I would have laughed at you and your ultra light Taurus russman. No more, no more. I'm gonna get a picture of my shoulder holster.

I found 4 50 round boxes of .38 for $10.95 a box, was all they had. So subbie range time this coming week. The dang 100 round boxes at Wal-mart are $29.95, same as the .45 cal.

Side note. C&C Outdoors off Topside has some ammo they haven't repriced yet in different calibers. Might be worth checking out if anyone is near there.

Are you a member at Gunny's Russman?