Snubbies

Guest mikedwood

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest russman37801

Not yet mikedwood. I hope to get out there soon. We have really needed a range out this way. Thanks for the info on the ammo. I'll check that out

Guest mikedwood

A friend of mine fixed his Trooper MK III today and it was as good a reason to go to Gunny's in Maryvilles range as any.

I took my Taurus snubbie. Last time I took snubbie for a ride I had gotten some 125 grain fmj Speer Lawsomething another. It sure seemed like some hot loads. Actually I didn't even get on paper much cause it hurt to shoot it. Today I went back to the S&W 158 grain lead and hoped I would do better. It did, much.

We shot some and Bubba decided he wanted to shoot a little silhouette competition. He had a 4" Trooper .357 using the hot Speer (I bought 4 boxes and no, it's not for snubbie at all), I had the 2" Taurus. I mean what the heck?

So the way we scored it he got a 307 and I got a 287 (10 bullets at 25 yds, 10 at 15 yds, 5 at 7 yds, then to score the 7 ring is 7, 8 is 8, 9 is 9, 10 is 10, X is 15) I didn't win but I had 1 flier and it was still in the black but almost not. I didn't feel to bad he got alot of bulls, me a few, I had an awesome pattern in the 9 ring at 25 yards and got worse the closer the target got? I was trying to hard to catch up.

I had a great time.

A question: What do you guys shoot in your snubbies for practice and then for protection? I thought that 125 FMJ grain would be fine, it was like fighting a bear in the snubbie. S&W 158 lead is OK, I have run about 200 rounds of it through snubbie, it's nice even. Does the lighter grain add to kick (I say kick cause it was more like a mule kick, not recoil) or something? I don't get it. Could it have been the inovative primer the box was touting? Mismarked? Defective?

I use 158gr Federal Nyclads in my Colt Agent. I also have used 125gr Hydro-shoks. Both are accurate rounds for my Agent. As a matter of fact the guy I bought it from recommended the Nyclads. He said they were the most accurate round for my particular gun. I've not proved him wrong yet. That's whats in my speedloaders now. I understand that Federal doesn't make them anymore though.

I'll probably try something else or just go back to the Hydro-shoks.

I practice with whatever is cheap though.

Guest mikedwood

Snubbie maddess ensued today.

I already have a shoulder holster for my snubbie and a small belt holster.

I was prowling around on youtube the other day and saw a video for a "trigger holster" for "mexican carry" I made one. It's basically like this one.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

I want to post pictures of all the concealment options on my snubbie, only 2 and a half more months till my permit gets here.

Guest AeroEngrSoftDevMBA
my wife isnt into guns as much as my son and i, but sad to say the last time we practiced together she out shot me with her taurus snubby. hurt my feelings too. we all know she didnt rub it in just a bit

When I was reading this quickly I missed the word "out"... I was thinking, and all she hurt was your feelings???

Guest Southron Boy

I've got two snubbies, an S&W 15-2 in .38 spcl and a Taurus 605 in .357. The S&W is easy to shoot, but is a much larger frame than the Taurus and harder to conceal.

The Taurus is the .357 version of the 85. It eats .38s and +Ps all day. Slide a few .357 rounds in there though, and you know you've fired something! The boom is incredible, and let's just say that follow-ups take a bit more time than they ought to.

My carry permit is pending, but I intend to carry the Taurus in a pocket (I've got a shoulder holster for it, but if I'm going through all that fuss, I'll carry a 9mm or a 1911) with +Ps and .357 in a speed strip.

Guest Watauga

Snubbies are great for summer carry. My Taurus M85 Titanium 38 is light weight and is very accurate for a short barrel revolver. And its is pleasant to shoot. Easy to hide in my summer wear. Hope I never need more than 5 rounds.

Guest oldfella

I have no illusion of hitting the X-mark beyond 7 yards with my short-barreled snubs, so I wont even try - they were not intended as long-range shooters any way. Accuracy also depends on the ammo you use; I do fairly well with the 135 gr. +P GDHP, and recently with the Buffalo Bore 158 Gr. (Non- +P) SWC-HC, both .38 Spl.