was in walmart this evening

1pointofview

That is so true or at least it once was.

It has been a few years ago but the last time that I compared prices on a Walter PPS the Gander folks wanted $159.00 more than the Great Outdoors store did for the same gun. I have been back a few times but could not seem to get waited on even with several folks behind the counter doing nothing and no one else looking at the guns. The last time I went I had the wife with me and they still ignored us so I have not been back. This was before Brandon had opened Direct Hit. It has been awhile so I guess I need to give him a stop-by.

I agree about gander mountains customer service. I was in there a few weeks ago and was ignored by 3 different people behind the gun counter. The last guy was standing at the register looking through some paperwork and he looked straight at me, pick up the paper and turned and went in the back. That was it for me. I emailed them and the district manager sent me an email back wanting me to call him. Never did make that call. I don't see anything changing since everytime I've been in there its been the same way.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Victor9er

I wonder how many of the Wal-Mart bashers own a Springfield "the oldest name in American firearms" made in Croatia XD...?

Edited by Victor9er
Guest bkelm18

If walmart starts doing all this say by to gun stores everywhere.

No, that's just ridiculous. Big box stores have been selling firearms for a long time and not even all Walmarts are going to be selling firearms. Gun shops have larger selections, more accessories, and usually other services (gunsmithing, etc). That simply isn't going to dissapear because Walmart is selling a handful of popular rifles and what I imagine to be a very limited selection of handguns if they do go that route.

Guest Victor9er

No, that's just ridiculous. Big box stores have been selling firearms for a long time and not even all Walmarts are going to be selling firearms. Gun shops have larger selections, more accessories, and usually other services (gunsmithing, etc). That simply isn't going to dissapear because Walmart is selling a handful of popular rifles and what I imagine to be a very limited selection of handguns if they do go that route.

Exactly. Wal-Mart sells cameras on the cheap also, but that doesn't mean dedicated camera stores are closing up shop. Sure, if all you want is a cheap DSLR the average person or soccor mom can run to Wal-Mart and pick one up. But for anyone serious about photography, whether professional or just a dedicated hobbyist, you still need to shop the dedicated camera supply stores for the higher end equipment.

Same will be true with guns, Wal-Mart will carry a limited supply of POPULAR items, stuff that will sell quickly and often. They are not interested in getting that high-end specialty item that will sit on the shelf for a year and a half before the right person comes along to buy it. It will have to be either really popular, or cheap. They've sold handguns before, and the local gun shops managed to survive.

If anything it's the internet services that's hurting the local shops more than Wal-Mart is. Let's be honest here, how many of you are guilty of buying your AR parts and accessories online rather than walking into your local gun store and ordering from them? Wal-Mart doesn't sell that stuff, so don't go around complaining about Wal-Mart running the local gun shops out of buisness if you insist on spending a couple of thousand dollars at various online sites instead giving that money and buisness to your own local shops.

Exactly. Wal-Mart sells cameras on the cheap also, but that doesn't mean dedicated camera stores are closing up shop. Sure, if all you want is a cheap DSLR the average person or soccor mom can run to Wal-Mart and pick one up. But for anyone serious about photography, whether professional or just a dedicated hobbyist, you still need to shop the dedicated camera supply stores for the higher end equipment.

Same will be true with guns, Wal-Mart will carry a limited supply of POPULAR items, stuff that will sell quickly and often. They are not interested in getting that high-end specialty item that will sit on the shelf for a year and a half before the right person comes along to buy it. It will have to be either really popular, or cheap. They've sold handguns before, and the local gun shops managed to survive.

If anything it's the internet services that's hurting the local shops more than Wal-Mart is. Let's be honest here, how many of you are guilty of buying your AR parts and accessories online rather than walking into your local gun store and ordering from them? Wal-Mart doesn't sell that stuff, so don't go around complaining about Wal-Mart running the local gun shops out of buisness if you insist on spending a couple of thousand dollars at various online sites instead giving that money and buisness to your own local shops.

I agree that it's the internets that's hurting local shops more than the Walmarts.

If only there were any shops in this part of the country that had a decent selection of AR parts and accessories! The best I've seen is Sportsman's Warehouse in Chatt., and they still didn't have anything I need.

Why would I pay anyone to order something that I can order myself for less? If I can go in there and walk out with what I need, I'll pay a few extra bucks. What I won't do is have them order it for me. I have a computer and a credit card and I know how to use them. It's either that or wait for the next gun show and gamble that I'll be able to find what I need (usually not).

<tangent mode on> I've often dreamed about opening a non-gun store. I would stock almost any part or accessory that one could think of. Ammo in bulk in the most popular rounds. Most of the less popular and even oddball rounds. All at a few bucks over what one can order it for online. And no firearms (to avoid the extra paperwork). I know I'd probably fold in a few months, but it's a store I wish existed in this part of the country. Think J&G Sales, AIM Surplus, Palmetto State or a small version of Midway USA or Brownell's.

Just rambling. Sorry. It's late.

Will

Guest Victor9er

I agree, and I freely admit I'm just as guilty as the next guy about ordering my pieces/parts online. I do usually try to stop in to my local shop first though, and if they have what I'm looking for I'll go ahead and get it there. But if they don't have it I tend to just hit the online shops and order what I'm looking for.