was in walmart this evening

1pointofview

Have to see some corroborating evidence to buy that.

C'mon, you gotta KNOW that's a myth. Would require "made in China" on the product, for one obvious refutation.

- OS

I don't know if any of that is correct but I do know that Walmart does that with a lot of their stuff. They get companies to have their work contracted out to be cheaper on both the company and Walmart and ensures that their products sell at a certain price point. There's an article about the former CEO of a lawnmower making company that said no to Walmart in which they tell him that he needs to do that.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think you need to take another look at gander mtn. they dont sell their guns for msrp, much less msrp+. just fyi

Once in a while they have some guns on sale at a decent deal, but a few I looked at were at list or a little above. Especially S&W (759 for an AR-15 sport, list is 739), SR1911 I seen there was 799.00, and Glocks are up there, I go to Gander Mtn pretty often and have bought a few handguns on sale from them but they are way above most local gun stores in general. Not just guns either but shooting accessories arent cheap, Bass Pro isnt much better, Academy has pretty good prices though. I find most local gun stores can easily beat Gander Mountain.

I'm sure if I averaged all the pistols and rifles on their website and compared them to list they would be cheaper, but overall they are by far not the cheapest around.

Edited by KJ48

It is against federal law to import any ammunition made in China. That went into effect at the same time the importation of military style rifles and handguns from China took effect in 1994. It was done by Clinton by executive order. Before the expiration the the AWB China/Norinco was found to be in violation of some sort of proliferation order so Bush banned the import of Chinese/Norinco made assault weapons and ammunition.

Nobody, not even Walmart, can break that ban on importation of certain Chinese firearms and ammunition.

I emailed Remingotn about the Walmart guns, we will see what they say.

Dolomite

Found it:

The Nonproliferation brochure has been changed by the deletion of NORINCO/North China Industries Corporation from the list of foreign persons designated by the Secretary of State as subject to an import ban pursuant to Executive Order 12938 of November 14, 1994, as amended by Executive Order 13094 of July 28, 1998.

On May 23, 2003, the Secretary of State determined that NORINCO/North China Industries Corporation had engaged in missile technology proliferation activities and imposed measures on NORINCO/North China Industries Corporation pursuant to Executive Order 12938, as amended, including a two-year ban on the importation into the United States of goods, technology or services produced or provided by NORINCO/North China Industries Corporation, its subunits and successors. This import ban was implemented by Treasury Department's Weapons of Mass Destruction Trade Control Regulations, 31 CFR Part 539 (the WMD Regulations).

To reflect the expiration of the two-year import ban imposed on NORINCO/North China Industries Corporation by the May 23, 2003 determination by the Secretary of State, NORINCO/North China Industries Corporation has been deleted from the Nonproliferation brochure's list of foreign persons designated pursuant to Executive Order 12938, as amended. Accordingly, imports from NORINCO/North China Industries Corporation are no longer subject to the prohibitions in Treasury's WMD Regulations. These imports, however, remain subject to all other applicable laws and regulations, including a two-year ban on the importation of products produced by NORINCO/North China Industries Corporation, its subunits and successors that was imposed by the Secretary of State on September 19, 2003, pursuant to section 73(a)(1) of the Arms Export Control Act and section 11B(;)(1) of the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (as carried out under Executive Order 13222).

Recent OFAC Actions

And this is the reason why:

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Documents/fr68_28314.pdf

Has to do with their proliferation of banned missile development.

Dolomite

Pretty sure the only reason WalMart is doing it is to make money, gun and ammo sales are one of the few things that have been selling well in the last couple years so why not get in on the action. I doubt there is any political motive.

They just opened an Academy sports here recently and since the day it opened I havent been able to get close enough to the gun counter to see what they have, they are selling guns like crazy. But no doubt its a good thing if WalMart steps up, it will definitely put a dent in big stores like Gander Mountain that sell guns for MSRP+.

KJ:_________

No doubt that Walmart is doin it for the money. Al Capp's General Bullmoose was doin it for the money too; just like Uncle Scrooge McDuck would do; as well as C. Montgomery Burns of "The Simpsons" fame; to get a little closer to modern pop culture. As to the "political thing", who knows.... I'm a cynic at heart, and have little confidence that the "love of freedom and giving honor to the right to keep and bear arms" is behind this move. Im with you on this; there is about a 99+% chance that they are doin it of the money; thats what they do...The fact is that they are commin down on the side of the potential gun owner. I see that as a good thing. Providence will ultimately sort out their motives. The fact is that even if they are doing the "right thing for the wrong reason", its ok with us. There's lots of that goin around anyway.

leroy

KJ:_________

No doubt that Walmart is doin it for the money. Al Capp's General Bullmoose was doin it for the money too; just like Uncle Scrooge McDuck would do; as well as C. Montgomery Burns of "The Simpsons" fame; to get a little closer to modern pop culture. As to the "political thing", who knows.... I'm a cynic at heart, and have little confidence that the "love of freedom and giving honor to the right to keep and bear arms" is behind this move. Im with you on this; there is about a 99+% chance that they are doin it of the money; thats what they do...The fact is that they are commin down on the side of the potential gun owner. I see that as a good thing. Providence will ultimately sort out their motives. The fact is that even if they are doing the "right thing for the wrong reason", its ok with us. There's lots of that goin around anyway.

leroy

I agree, whatever the reason I'm happy they are doing it. I'm sure some will be unhappy but thats the way it is :)

Took the words right out of my mouth!

Robert and Caster:

i had to think about this one for a minute. Then it dawned on me. I have a firm rule. No trips to walmart later than about 9:00 am. The layabout class gets up an into walmart by about 10:00 or so am; so i give myself an hours cushion. This is a firm rule with me and is never violated. If it is, my entire day is ruined.

Keep up the good work.

leroy

Guest bkelm18
Robert and Caster:

i had to think about this one for a minute. Then it dawned on me. I have a firm rule. No trips to walmart later than about 9:00 am. The layabout class gets up an into walmart by about 10:00 or so am; so i give myself an hours cushion. This is a firm rule with me and is never violated. If it is, my entire day is ruined.

Keep up the good work.

leroy

Walmart early in the morning is actually quite pleasant. None of the usual Walmart characters are there yet.

i think you need to take another look at gander mtn. they dont sell their guns for msrp, much less msrp+. just fyi

Gander man in jackson is usually $100-$150 higher that anyone close. I go there to shop and handle things I am interested in and order from direct hit or parkway.

JTM🔫

Sent from my iPhone

Guest bkelm18
For those on vampire hours, 1-5 am is quite pleasant also, just usually can't buy any ammo. And no guns of course.

- OS

I think the earliest I have been has been 4 AM. Though I was on the verge of collapsing from a stomach virus and was shopping for some electrolytic fluid to replenish everything that I had exploded out of my body.

I think the earliest I have been has been 4 AM. Though I was on the verge of collapsing from a stomach virus and was shopping for some electrolytic fluid to replenish everything that I had exploded out of my body.

That usually only happens to me if I've fed on a lush in the wee hours. :)

nosferatu.jpg

Guest BrianJ
Also their WWB ammo is not the same WWB you will find in any other store. Due to their pricing policies those lots are farmed out to factories in China. This is a fairly common practice for Walmart supplies. Not necessarily a bad thing, but something to keep in mind. There is a reason they can sell lower than anyone else.

Last box of .40 S&W I bought from Walmart clearly says Made in USA on the box. Last time I was in D&T (when I bought my P229) one of the sales staff mentioned this to me but have never found any evidence of this being true.

Guest bkelm18
Last box of .40 S&W I bought from Walmart clearly says Made in USA on the box. Last time I was in D&T (when I bought my P229) one of the sales staff mentioned this to me but have never found any evidence of this being true.

Because it's not. :D

Guest bkelm18
Mythbuster! I buy all my ammo at Walmart

a399de1c.jpg

46ee7be4.jpg

Sent from my Mom's basement

No, the box is Made in the USA. The ammo is made by child labor in Tajikistan.

No, the box is Made in the USA. The ammo is made by child labor in Tajikistan.

Nope, made in Beijing.

Even though all boxes say made in USA and none say made in China. Even though mine has NATO headstamp. Even though Chinese ammo importation is banned on federal level.

It's true because so many say so. They say it on every gun forum. And because Smith works in a gun store, too. ;)

- OS

For those on vampire hours, 1-5 am is quite pleasant also, just usually can't buy any ammo. And no guns of course.

- OS

Fellow vampire here. ;)

There is absolutely nothing mo' better then WM in the wee hours! No customers. Everything normally out if stock is on a pallet. And the lines are completely empty.

Not sure how it is up yonder, but down honder the electronic guys can fetch ammo. And if you're lucky, all of the out of stock ammo can be pulled right from the pallet... if you look hapless and ask nicely! :)

...Not sure how it is up yonder, but down honder the electronic guys can fetch ammo. And if you're lucky, all of the out of stock ammo can be pulled right from the pallet... if you look hapless and ask nicely! ;)

Well, by golly I'll look into that up hither; I can certainly look hapless easily enough, Lawd knows!

Btw, here's the new WWB design, at least for 9mm:

wwb.jpg

Have only two full boxes left, both same lot numbers. One has regular "WIN" and "9mm Luger" headstamps seems to be on every one, but one has "WWC" "11" and NATO head stamp on looks like every one.

Garufa didn't believe me when I showed him the last of a previous box, but I swear it's so. Either they got their military contract stuff mixed into line (although it's definitely 115 grain not 124) or they scored a bunch of unused NATO stamped brass or something. From China, doubtless.

- OS