was in walmart this evening

1pointofview

Guest lostpass
Gander USUALLY averages $50-100 higher on any gun compared to other stores. When they have their crazy sales, they lower the price to what everyone else sells theirs for.

My experience says you're right. I wonder what the business model is. I haven't found the shopping experience or the selection to be worthy of the higher prices. My experience might be atypical but I am hard pressed to imagine why I would go to Gander Mountain over the locally owned guns store or another chain store like Wal Mart or Academy Sports.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rule in my house is there are no trips to Walmart whatsoever . They sell crap,treat their employees like dirt, destroy small towns,strong arm their vendors ,ect, ect,ect. You all might think I'm old fashion or nuts but,but I haven't been in a Walmart in years. I choose to support my local economy and shops.

Sent from my Damn iPad using Tapatalk

The rule in my house is there are no trips to Walmart whatsoever . They sell crap,treat their employees like dirt, destroy small towns,strong arm their vendors ,ect, ect,ect. You all might think I'm old fashion or nuts but,but I haven't been in a Walmart in years. I choose to support my local economy and shops....

Only in America would some Americans diss an American success story, pay more for American ammo -- and buy their Chinese stuff for more from smaller stores. ;)

Guest bkelm18

I really don't see how you're not supporting your local economy by shopping at Walmart. Those employees aren't imported from Kazakhstan. The money they are paid gets put back into the local economy.

Every person I know that has worked for Walmart has loved it. I don't see how though... I read on the internet somewhere that they treat their employees like dirt and ruin small town America. I think I heard they were communists too.

I haven't seen the .380 at my store in the 100 pack I hope they get that in.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

I bought that in WV, when I was at my parents over Christmas. They probably had 10 boxes. I think certain stores in high sale, rural areas, get more stock than others.

I bought that in WV, when I was at my parents over Christmas. They probably had 10 boxes. I think certain stores in high sale, rural areas, get more stock than others.

You should try the Walmart off the Clinton exit of I-75. They have a crap ton of ammo there compared to all the ones in Knoxville.

Nope, made in Beijing.

Even though all boxes say made in USA and none say made in China. Even though mine has NATO headstamp. Even though Chinese ammo importation is banned on federal level.

It's true because so many say so. They say it on every gun forum. And because Smith works in a gun store, too. :tinfoil:

- OS

Lots of countries use NATO headstamps as a caliber designation. You may very well be right, but in my experience the WWB from Walmart and every where else I've ever gotten it from has been different. Only problems I've personally had where fromt he Walmart stuff. As far as the rest I got that information from a couple different distributors who said the same thing. It would not be uncommon for Walmart and Winchester to do that.

That being said I can not definitvley prove my point any more than you can prove yours. :D

That American success story Died along time ago. The last time I was in Walmart looking at the ammo the prices really didnt get me excited. I'm happy to pay LESS for my quality STUFF,all you have to do is shop around. Compare prices and price match. Most of the time item's are made just for Wally World and of Cheaper quality. I know alot of our junk is imported from china ,hong kong ,mexico ,and so on ,I'm not going to lie to myself. If I have a choice on where to spend my money it is not going to be Walmart.

Well every person I knew that worked at Walmart Complained and hated it.....Maybe it was the Store they worked at who knows.

I have not read anywhere about Walmart, I make my own choices,I am entitled to that.

And when I spend my money at a local retailer,I bet ya more of it stays in the communiy than as if it would with Walmart.

hmmmmmm ,is Walmart a supporting vendor of this Site? I spend alot of my money with those guys. Shame on me .

Edited by jeepbus

That being said I can not definitvley prove my point any more than you can prove yours. :tinfoil:

Another "prove an absurd premise" argument. I can't prove there aren't elephants on Jupiter, either. NASA plot to hide them and all.

If you believe that Wally World is big enough to blatantly break both federal labeling statutes AND importation ban of Chinese ammunition, you really do need to reconsider the thickness of your tinfoil beanie.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Another "prove an absurd premise" argument. I can't prove there aren't elephants on Jupiter, either. NASA plot to hide them and all.

If you believe that Wally World is big enough to blatantly break both federal labeling statutes AND importation ban of Chinese ammunition, you really do need to reconsider the thickness of your tinfoil beanie.

- OS

Smith has one of those beanies that are hammer forged from billet aluminum :tinfoil:

Guest nicemac
The rule in my house is there are no trips to Walmart whatsoever . … I choose to support my local economy and shops.

And the difference between Wal-Mart and Costco is…?

(looking at your name and avatar–Costco Shopper)

The rule in my house is there are no trips to Walmart whatsoever . They sell crap,treat their employees like dirt, destroy small towns,strong arm their vendors ,ect, ect,ect. You all might think I'm old fashion or nuts but,but I haven't been in a Walmart in years. I choose to support my local economy and shops.

I lean more toward this way of thinking than going there to buy everything. I have bought ammo there in the past but have been buying from my locally owned stores the last year or so. I try to shop my local farmers market more than the big chains even though I do shop those as well. The produce and meat is much healthier than anything you get at the chains. I have grown much more aware of the benefit of supporting locally owned businesses since we lost The Great Outdoors Store. Much better prices than Gander even if it wasn't Wal-Mart Prices...

As I have said in other threads, whatever their reasoning - even if I never buy a firearm from Walmart - I think that any time firearms get increased visibility in an every day, non-running-in-panic manner in our society it is a good thing.

As for shopping at Walmart, etc. I do tend to prefer buying firearms at my LGS. The guys there are more knowledgeable, the prices are within the realm of Walmart prices (and the store owner, who is usually one of the guys behind the counter, has the authority to give me a better deal and will do so, sometimes.) I also know that I will get much better support after the sale. That plus the fact that the LGS has layaway if I need it and I just like dealing with them pretty much means I tend to go there for most of my firearms purchases.

Ammo, however, is a different story. Walmart is the least expensive place I have found for buying the majority of my plinking/range/practice ammo for the more common calibers and so I buy there. See, I am a person of (quite) limited means so my wallet has a very big say in where and how I spend my limited gun/ammo funds. For ammo that Wally doesn't carry - either in a less common caliber or a particular brand of SD or hunting ammo, I'll still go to the LGS (except for 9mm Makarov which I tend to buy at Academy because their price on the Monarch Makarov stuff is great.) There is also something to be said for being able to buy things (not necessarily gun-related things) on my schedule, when it is convenient for me and fits in around my work scedule, etc. rather than having to try and get to one of the local mom and pops on their schedule which is often (although not always) M-F between the hours of 9am and 5pm.

For me, the idea of supporting the local mom and pop stores is great but does spending more for the same (or comparable) items in their store put any more money in my pocket? Nope. In fact, it means less money in my pocket. So, with the exception of a few items where either the locals give prices comparable to Walmart, the locals have a better selection than Walmart or access to the locals' knowledge makes paying a little more worth it, I'll shop at Walmart with my head held high. Maybe not guns but dog food, light bulbs, printer paper and other such things I have no problem buying (for less $$$) at Walmart. Then, again, what do I know - I like Big Lots and sometimes go to Save A Lot for groceries.

Edited by JAB
Guest Sgt. Joe
Gander man in jackson is usually $100-$150 higher that anyone close. I go there to shop and handle things I am interested in and order from direct hit or parkway.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

That is so true or at least it once was.

It has been a few years ago but the last time that I compared prices on a Walter PPS the Gander folks wanted $159.00 more than the Great Outdoors store did for the same gun. I have been back a few times but could not seem to get waited on even with several folks behind the counter doing nothing and no one else looking at the guns. The last time I went I had the wife with me and they still ignored us so I have not been back. This was before Brandon had opened Direct Hit. It has been awhile so I guess I need to give him a stop-by.

Now that we have lost our GOS and Rangemaster has bought the range I dont know just who I will be using when I want something, probably Direct Hit even though being a small place they have little wiggle room on prices and dont keep a whole lot of stuff in stock. Parkway, it seems has always had higher prices. More important to me than getting a rock bottom price is how the sales folks treat folks. The last time I was at Parkway they acted like me being there was a PITA for them so I have not been back there either.

As far as Wally World getting into handguns, it has to be a good thing if for no other reason that maybe making some of the other places offer better prices and as someone said putting the guns in the faces of the masses. They may well even bring a few folks to our side just because they have them. Why they are doing it is of course only about making more money, but that is what a business does. I have not bought anything at WM in years other than ammo and dont see myself buying a gun there but only time will tell. I may just pop in and see if they have one of those catalogs that I can look at.

I do look at WM as a great success story but at the same time they have indeed ruined a lot of downtown mom and pop places in this country and have strong-armed some of the cities that they have built in, including Jackson. I know that is just capitalism at work but that dont mean I have to support WM...so far anyway.

Jackson may well be losing their K-Mart store too as they are talking about closing over a 100 Sears and K-Marts soon. With as few people who are there when I go I find it hard to think that our store would make the cut again. If that happens I am not going to have any choice but to do more business with WM. Target sells a lot of the same things but they are French owned and WM for all it is, is still an American company.

I have always been under the impression that Costco was fully owned and operated by the Chinese Govt. It seems that I saw a documentary to that effect a few months ago. A skip-the-middleman kind of thing.

Sgt Joe. You will like to know this. Krasners pawn on Old Hickory across from Kmart did a transfer for me for $20 (10+10). That was a great deal. I called them 1st and let them see if they could beat an online price(Buds) and they couldn't so they did transfer for $20 and were really nice guys to deal with. I get the same feeling at parkway that I am bothering them. That is why I bought from Direct hit last time(he ordered what I wanted had in 3 days and beat parkways price by $20. Great experience.

JTM🔫

Sent from my iPhone

Guest Sgt. Joe
Nah, publicly traded company, founded and still headquartered in WA.

Costco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- OS

Thanks Shoot, I am going to look for that documentary because it sure gave a different impression than what Wiki says....strange?

Sgt Joe. You will like to know this. Krasners pawn on Old Hickory across from Kmart did a transfer for me for $20 (10+10). That was a great deal. I called them 1st and let them see if they could beat an online price(Buds) and they couldn't so they did transfer for $20 and were really nice guys to deal with. I get the same feeling at parkway that I am bothering them. That is why I bought from Direct hit last time(he ordered what I wanted had in 3 days and beat parkways price by $20. Great experience.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks for that too, as much as I am at the KM I never did think to stop in that place, I do believe that I will.

I am sure gonna miss the GOS though

Costco is posted but not correctly. They do sell gun safes and spry you can't beat most of their deals. Plus they give out free samples,who can argue that.when I was safe shopping a month ago I looked all over and ended up going with one of the vendors on this site. Got the one I wanted was educated on safes and supported the "little guy"

Thanks Shoot, I am going to look for that documentary because it sure gave a different impression than what Wiki says....strange,,,

Well, knew I had seen it on NASDAQ. Maybe Chinese interests own controlling stock or something, for all I know.

Quick report though is that 873 different institutional entities own 340,521 shares, which is 78% of all shares.

Sounds pretty much like most big companies, most stock owned by mutual funds groups and other investment firms.

- OS

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]