Interesting situation this evening

...Very nice but pretty pricy. ....

I agree. Buy once, cry once. They are as well made as anyone's holster. Mernickle makes a great crossdraw they call the "extreme" (...i think....) it's a bit less expensive and is also a great holster. I like the idea of the pistol layin in your lap or close to your lap. Short hand move to get it.

I'm a lefty myself and i regularly practice "wrong handed" for the car window thing.

leroy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no good way to draw while in my vehicle...I have tried to think of how I want to change this...I'm pretty sure I want to mount some type of easy access holster, I just haven't take the time. Guess this thread is giving me a bit of inspiration to get back to working on it.

One thing I haven't completely worked out is mounting it where I can get to it easily but not where it is the first thing a LEO might see when walking up to the window.

I did this today while off work. Got the idea from this post and modified it a little. Instead of cutting up a $25 quick loader I when to walmart and picked up a cheap aluminum rail scope mount to cut up to make work. Mine has a thumb screw instead of the push button like the factory quick loader. Worked out pretty good I think. b8296547-b4be-0a23.jpg

JTM🔫

Sent from my iPhone

Relating to that does anyone know if you can but a generic rail mount. You can buy rail accessories of all kinds and the rails themselves seem to be sold everywhere, can you buy just the push button mount.

JTM🔫

Sent from my iPhone

One thing I haven't completely worked out is mounting it where I can get to it easily but not where it is the first thing a LEO might see when walking up to the window.

This. Most of the setups I've seen posted where someone has a "bright idea" about how to mount their pistol on/around their dashboard introduce a "please shoot me at a traffic stop" scenario.

This. Most of the setups I've seen posted where someone has a "bright idea" about how to mount their pistol on/around their dashboard introduce a "please shoot me at a traffic stop" scenario.

I have been stopped twice and I always put in plain view in seat slide open just for safety. And usually no ticket due to the respect showed the officer. (before officer gets to window.)

JTM🔫

Sent from my iPhone

I have been stopped twice and I always put in plain view in seat slide open just for safety. And usually no ticket due to the respect showed the officer. (before officer gets to window.)

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

I'm glad it's worked out for you...but there is NO way I would be handling a loaded firearm after being pulled over and waiting for the officer to approach the vehicle.

I'm w/ Fallguy....my firearm is the last thing I'll be touching while an LEO has me pulled over its definately NOT what I want him or her to see first. I just roll down my window & place my hands on the wheel. If it's dark I turn on my interior light also before they approach.

Handling a firearm while an LEO is stopping you will get you voted "most likely to get shot in the face" any day of the week. I see your location is somewhat in the sticks, but if you did this on an interstate or in a semi-urban area, I can tell you that you're playing with your life and I don't mean to be overly-dramatic, but getting killed is a little dramatic...I mean, by my gauge at least it is...

This thread is full of bad ideas.

I haven't seen it mentioned so I'll chime in with my two cents...

I, too, drive for a living and drawing while in the car was a primary concern for me. I found the 5.11 Holster Shirt and their "Covert Dress Shirts" to be my best solution.

The holster shirt has two pockets under the arms (basically a shoulder holster that you wear as an undershirt) and the dress shirts have snaps that open when you slide your hand through to access the holster. This allows me to draw under the shirt, and if need be, fire through my shirt and the window without a BG ever seeing the gun. As someone mentioned above, I could disguise reaching for my firearm as getting my wallet from an inside pocket in the shirt.

The added bonus is that I'm completely tucked and professional in appearance as well as armed. I've carried my Commander sized colt *and* my S&W Sigma at the same time and no one could tell. (Both were carried to test the shirt. If I carry a BUG it's my J-frame.)

Hope this adds to possible solutions for someone.

Seaslug, I see a F150 that appears to be a King Ranch!

I like that setup but the only thing that turns me off to it is the fact you have to stick a big honking piece of Velcro to your vehicles interior and it seems like getting it off would be a serious pain. Would that holster fit between the seat and the center console? That way the Velcro wouldn't be in plain view if you decided to sell the vehicle. I have an 04 F150 and if it would, I would seriously consider getting this.

Seaslug, I see a F150 that appears to be a King Ranch!

I like that setup but the only thing that turns me off to it is the fact you have to stick a big honking piece of Velcro to your vehicles interior and it seems like getting it off would be a serious pain. Would that holster fit between the seat and the center console? That way the Velcro wouldn't be in plain view if you decided to sell the vehicle. I have an 04 F150 and if it would, I would seriously consider getting this.

Good eye! And as for the velcro, it peels right off. Any residual glue left behind just balls right up on the pebbled surface with a little rub. You could probably get it to fit between the seat and console if you wanted, but there's so little room (at least in mine), that it would REALLY make the draw an ordeal.
I can't agree more. I keep mine on the passenger seat,notify, no problems.

I would never handle a gun with officer approaching vehicle but usually while he is still in car checking my tags for warrants. I am going to let the back in the sticks comment earlier go but I watch what is going on and when Leo exits car gun is safe and in plain view. It would be really stupid to be handling a weapon with officer approaching. The key is pay attention to what is going on around you.

JTM🔫

Sent from my iPhone

I did this today while off work. Got the idea from this post and modified it a little. Instead of cutting up a $25 quick loader I when to walmart and picked up a cheap aluminum rail scope mount to cut up to make work. Mine has a thumb screw instead of the push button like the factory quick loader. Worked out pretty good I think. b8296547-b4be-0a23.jpg

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

If you guys with the XD's will call Springfield they will send you a left hand version of the XD holster free.

I would never handle a gun with officer approaching vehicle but usually while he is still in car checking my tags for warrants. I am going to let the back in the sticks comment earlier go but I watch what is going on and when Leo exits car gun is safe and in plain view. It would be really stupid to be handling a weapon with officer approaching. The key is pay attention to what is going on around you.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

I understand what you are saying...I guess I just feel even when they are still in the car, they are watching you and if they see you moving around it could cause a bit more uneasiness.

One time I was stopped and I reached to turn down my radio (not sure why as it would go off when I turned the ignition off, but anyway) when he got up to the window that is the first place his flashlight shined. I can only assume he saw me reaching toward the dash and wanted to see what was there. So even unloaded and slide locked open, if he saw me doing things around the passenger seat, I don't think a gun is the first thing I want his eyes/flashlight to see.

BTW I lived in Milan for a couple of years (Still work at the Arsenal, for nearly 12 years now) I was stopped there once, chose not to inform, he took my DL, went back to the car, came back and gave me my ticket and neither one of use ever mentioned a handgun.

Edited by Fallguy

It wasn't meant as an offensive comment or smart remark, the reality is that your location is fairly rural and the reaction of a rural area police officer to a firearm is typically less alarmed than say one in Nashville, Memphis, or Atlanta. I did not want your experience, if limited to being pulled over in a rural area, to be what guided you as a normal reaction throughout the rest of your travels. I've had the good fortune of living in both extremely rural and extremely urban areas and felt that it would be beneficial to point out something that might help keep you and your family safe.

Well just for the record, Milan may not have as large a population as Nashville or Memphis, but I wouldn't call it rural.

When I think of rural I think of a place with out many people/houses around, out of the city limits etc...

Fair enough. I looked it up before posting and saw a population of 7,000 and lots of open space around it except Jackson. Replace "fairly rural" with "fairly small town." Same concern applies. When I lived in Central Virginia and was pulled over in my rural area... errr, fairly smaller town... it was like a visit from a family friend or hunting buddy. When I lived in the NYC area, not so much.

Fair enough. I looked it up before posting and saw a population of 7,000 and lots of open space around it except Jackson. Replace "fairly rural" with "fairly small town." Same concern applies. When I lived in Central Virginia and was pulled over in my rural area, it was like a visit from a family friend or hunting buddy. When I lived in the NYC area, not so much.

:usa:

I understand what you are saying...I guess I just feel even when they are still in the car, they are watching you and if they see you moving around it could cause a bit more uneasiness.

One time I was stopped and I reached to turn down my radio (not sure why as it would go off when I turned the ignition off, but anyway) when he got up to the window that is the first place his flashlight shined. I can only assume he saw me reaching toward the dash and wanted to see what was there. So even unloaded and slide locked open, if he saw me doing things around the passenger seat, I don't think a gun is the first thing I want his eyes/flashlight to see.

BTW I lived in Milan for a couple of years (Still work at the Arsenal, for nearly 12 years now) I was stopped there once, chose not to inform, he took my DL, went back to the car, came back and gave me my ticket and neither one of use ever mentioned a handgun.

You still at the arsenal? Good to meet a WTenn neighbor. I work at Lowes in Milan I am the big bald guy but on vacation this week.

JTM🔫

Sent from my iPhone