SxS Refinishing

I have a much loved and used Rossi Overland SxS with 20" barrels.

This shotgun has been in my family since it was bought new in the late 70s. It has served as the primary HD shotgun since then. It has seen varied use over the years, and unfortunately little care.

I rescued it from my mother a handful of years ago, taking it from it's home of the last fifteen years or so next to her bedroom window hidden within the curtains. The shotgun is still functional, and kicks like a mule.

However, upon getting it home and getting the dust and grime cleaned off of it, it revealed light pitting covering nearly the entire gun. The locks are less effected than the barrel, but the pitting is present nonetheless. The bores oddly enough are still clean and shiny. This has in no way effected the usability of the gun, as it functions just fine and I have put a box of Walmart bulk low brass through the gun since it came to live with me. I have oiled the gun and cleaned it, rubbed it down with cardboard and oil to reduce the unsightliness of the pitting.

However, being as how it has sentimental value as well as still being a workhorse, I am interested in refinishing the gun. One to make it more visually appealing, and second to ensure that it is able to be passed down to my children when it is time.

It is a blued gun, with the the standard wooden stock and forearm. Functional exposed rabbit ear hammers and dual triggers. I don't want it nickel plated or hard chromed, but I would like something a little more durable than just a re-blue. The furniture is in good shape and it needs nothing more than a slight bit of work to properly fit the buttplate, something that hasn't been done since it left the factory.

I do not have the tools to perform this task on my own.

What I am wondering is a) what type of finish am I looking for, :hat: what is a realistic price range for said refinish and c) what would the durability be?

I am looking for something tough and forgiving. This gun has never been babied, and won't be. It will be cleaned after use, but may sit for extended periods of time between use and/or cleanings. It currently hangs in the open (kinda) on pegs suspended above a door frame.

I understand that it is not considered an heirloom piece by some, however after handling and using this shotgun all of my life, it is to me. However, I am not keen on the idea of throwing several hundred dollars at a refinish.

I would like it to retain some of it's old world style charm. I intend to get a leather lace up buttcuff to hold some shotshells that will fit it's old world appearance, while offering some modern convenience.

If you took the time to read all of this, please chime in with opinions and options.

Thanks!

*Edit to add a picture*

i_wanna_be_a_cowboy.jpg

Edited by Murgatroy
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To keep the look of being an original since it is a very nice looking gun, I would have it reblued and a clear coat put over top for added rust protection. NIC (cerakote) and Lauer (duracoat) both make excellent clear coats. I've gotten more into cerakote lately as I feel it looks less like a toy then the duracoat does, its more wear resistant and cure time is only 1 week for air cured colors verses the 3 weeks duracoat takes. If you'd want to go tacticool with it, you can just have it cerakoted black and it will still look like a real gun and be protected from the elements. Good luck in your search for a finish.

I wouldn't mind a black Cerakote or such of the nature. I am not going for a tacticool appearance, but functional. Something that isn't going to scratch all to pieces if the gun knocks against something. After all this is a tool. A well used one. I want to keep the traditional appearance, the wood I think would be nicely accented by the leather buttcuff; while being functional.

CCA offers refinishing, their prices start at $200 for long guns, but I am worried that with the amount of pitting the gun has that it might take more to get it started, they have the footnote that says it only includes minor flaw removal during the media blasting.

If I get a Cerakote or similar, would that normally include all the small pieces as well? The barrels, the lock, the hammers, the triggers, ect?

Edited by Murgatroy
I wouldn't mind a black Cerakote or such of the nature. I am not going for a tacticool appearance, but functional. Something that isn't going to scratch all to pieces if the gun knocks against something. After all this is a tool. A well used one. I want to keep the traditional appearance, the wood I think would be nicely accented by the leather buttcuff; while being functional.

CCA offers refinishing, their prices start at $200 for long guns, but I am worried that with the amount of pitting the gun has that it might take more to get it started, they have the footnote that says it only includes minor flaw removal during the media blasting.

If I get a Cerakote or similar, would that normally include all the small pieces as well? The barrels, the lock, the hammers, the triggers, ect?

Any guess as to how deep the pitting is? Can you take a close-up pic of it? If you push a fine point pen over the pits, can you feel them? Can you view the pits under a magnifying glass? If so, are they jagged or smooth in appearance?

I'd guess the Cerakote process would effectively hide what I'd consider "minor" pitting. The blasting should smooth them out and the paint will fill them in, to an extent. If functional is all you're after, Cerakote is a good choice.

I'd also assume that their price includes all the typically exposed parts, though I'd call to verify. Sometimes you can reduce the cost by disassembling it yourself.

I will try and get a better picture of it, close-up.

The pitting isn't horrible, but it isn't pretty either. It doesn't look as bad as some of the S&W Model 10s I see popping up for sale all the time, but it is extensive. It was surface rust, and I used some cardboard and oil to clean it up.

I have the same Rossi in 18" Barrel. I had left it is the closet while deployed and came home to a pitted barrel. I had Sam Hoster in Gallatin polish it out and re blue the barrel and it came out perfect. It was around $125.00. I have seen one refinished in a matted blue and my Brother had one parkerized. They both looked good and different. Even though I had mine re blued a few years ago it is showing some browning under the handguard. It is always in that gap between the barrel's that it starts . I believe it is from where they sweat-ed the two barrels together and it does not take finishing well due to the solder. I've had mine so many years I can't even remember when I got it. It is one that I will pass down.

BTW I have had good luck with a green pad (3M) and oil. Some state oil and fine steel wool(Can leave swirls). But the best I have used is a product called Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner. It removes surface rust in one pass. It is hard to find. But is available on line.

Edited by R1100R
  • 1 month later...

You can clean a lot of that up by gently using 0000 steel wool, and copious amounts of oil. I'd clean it up and use it. Spend the money you were going to spend on refinishing on ammo for it. I can't imagine doing anything to it that wouldn't cost a fortune yet would enhance the looks of the shotgun. It doesn't look that bad to me.