So who knows about metal roofs?

Patton

The wife and I are looking at getting a metal roof put on our 1100 Sqft house. It is not super high or super steep so there really isn't a pucker factor. It's 46ft long and 16ft on each side. So it's a front and a back with a ridge across the top. There are three dishes to remove and toss as well as the old ridge cap. A coworkers dad who has done everyone's roof at work came and quoted me $2475 for felt and a 40yr metal. Does this sound right? At least within 5% high or low? I really want this guy to do it but want to make sure the price is right. Oh, the 1 layer of shingles will stay under neath.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

Hi Patton

I haven't the foggiest if that is a good price, but sounds pretty affordable. Its on the to-do list to roof my old shack which sounds about the same size as your house. Haven't got any quotes yet but was fearing a price quite a bit higher than $2500.

After you get it done, will be interested in learning what you find out.

Guest Lester Weevils

Thanks Patton

Dang, internet yellow pages lists 153 chatt area roofing contractors! Many decent enough contractors don't bother with yellow pages because it is too much money. Who knows the grand total.

Except for personal recommendation it would be a slog finding the "best" one.

A lonely old lady living by herself could have a half year of daily home visits and human companionship just by getting a quote from every one. :)

If you like this guy's work please PM his contact info?

With the quaility of todays shingles imo metal is the only way to go 2 different houses I've had every wind storm we had id find shingles in the yard. Paid 3k a few years back for a little larger roof & have been very satisfied - just make sure its installed per the manufacturers specs so they will honor the warranty if something does happen.

I have a metal roof it's pretty new but was put on the house before I moved in. I really like it. It seems to be durable. When it's really raining hard you get that rain on the tin roof sound if everything else in the house is quiet. It's not annoying though. You pretty much only hear it when you want to, like when you lay down at night or wake up in the morning. I would recommend a metal roof to anyone in the market.

Guest airborne1525

That is a fair price compared to our roof and cost. Also sometimes it is worth paying more to have someone you trust. My brother in law decided to save 800 by going with a company he found in the paper. Well that was 4 months ago. His chimney still is not right , they have been back 3 times, each time they have put a new cap over the last one they put on, so now the flashing around it is 4 layers. Looks like crap and he is still getting water down the outer chimney into the attic. Guess whose phone number is disconnected. Would image his warranty is out the door as well. Sad thing is the guy that did mine has repaired our (both mine and the brother-in-law's) barns every time we have had metal come off the roof and charges us next to nothing when he has done it....if I were in his shoes, I wouldn't be fixing the BIL's barns anymore lol

Edited by airborne1525

I've put a couple on and consider it the only way to go if your estimated time in the place can justify the additional cost over shingles. IMO, it is an upgrade and the value of the building should reflect that but I can not substantiate this. Have confidence in the installer. Make certain he uses long screws.

I built a 14 x 50 addition to my barn last year and my roof steel cost was just over $600. Screws, cap and rake add up.

Give Jason a call at Tennessee Metal Roofing in Sweetwater. 423 351 1141

oldogy

Went back and read the comments about installation. I did this addition and have done another full roof and several small shed jobs by my self.

Never get on a wet or damp roof. Don't ask.

Edited by oldogy
last sentince add