Leather softner (holster)

Guest titanwolf

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest canynracer
what do you guys use to softent the holsters a bit?

which part of the holster? if it is where the gun fits in, I would say nothing, just leave the gun in it at all times (Even when not wearing it) , it will stretch a bit...

but if you are talking about the belt loop things, I used baseball mitt stuff to help it bend aroung my waist, but like I said, nothing where the gun goes in...

Guest titanwolf

The inside is not suede lined, a bit rough (Galco)

If the fit is too tight when holstering your firearm the first time don’t force it. If you do force it, it may be difficult to remove the firearm. Spend a few minutes preparing the leather pocket. (Similar to a new baseball glove or pair of leather shoes, it needs to be broken in. However, the break-in techniques are different.) Using your hands only - no tools, no oils, no chemicals, etc. - relax the seamed edges by gently flexing the holster in all directions repeatedly. This does not mean severely folding, bending or smashing the leather. Once the body of the holster starts to feel less rigid, it is time to insert and remove your completely unloaded firearm from the holster multiple times to create the perfect, long-term fit.

thanks

hi,

leather like any hide or skin will dry out over time. the natural oils will dissipate and evaporate and they should be replenished from time to time to keep it supple.

i use 'neatsfoot' oil to replenish the oils lost thru age. you can get it at tractor supply and similar hardware stores. it will soften it but will not relax it to the point that it looses its shape or form.

this is also used to develop a good pocket in a ball glove.

the only thing to be aware of is that it will tend to darken the color somewhat, but then i really like a tan holster that has been darkened to a rich cordovan color.

i usually use a sponge type paint brush and coat both inside and outside and then wrap it in a clean rag that has some oil dampened on it as well. i leave it overnite and next day the oils have penetrated evenly. you can use this method several times to get the desired softness and coloring you'd like.

give it a quick rub with a dry towel or rag and its ready to wear.

works for me everytime especially rejuvinating something that's been lying around for a while and is dried out.

good luck with it.

thanks.

Edited by bobmack

I have a Galco leather holster and it will break in over a little time.

However if you still need to loosen it you can loosen the fit by putting your gun in a zip lock bag,then letting it sit in the holster.The thickness of the bag will stretch it just enough.

If I did feel the need to use anything lube wise,then I would use some silicone spray.

Leather is meant to be snug fitting.If you want a loose fitting holster,then get a cheap nylon Uncle Mikes

Edited by strickj

You will get holster wear from any holster.I use a kydex everyday,a leather occasionally,and a nylon for the car.My XD has held up pretty well with all three types of holsters,and Im not to worried about it,but then again,Im not afraid to refinish it myself,I just refinished my Mossberg:)

• 1 month later...