47 members have voted

1. 1. What do you recommend or use?

• Directv
    • Dish Network
    • AT&T U-verse
    • Cable
    • Local Fiber from the electric company
    • Other (explain below)

After having Directv for years I feel i must weigh my options. Directv is unwilling to upgradge my 3 year old HR22 HD DVR since they say its still on their list of receivers that are used... So i want to know what you guys recommend.

I am seriously thinking of switching to the America's Gold package from Dish Network. What do you guys think?

Edited by alwaysonjohn
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nicemac

I tried to get them to do something about my DVR for year. They refused. I called and cancelled in May of 2011. They begged, they literally called me three times a day trying to keep me as a subscriber. They finally offered me a new HDDVR AND a $350 credit if I would resign a two-year agreement. I told them to stuff it. They had their chance. I put up an antenna and haven't looked back.

My point. Cancel. They will do anything you want, but you have to say those words on the phone to get their attention.

Guest asaxton

I got DirecTV when they first came out. Was a subscriber for over 12 years. Until I decided to reduce my costs and downgrade my package, I never had a problem with them. After four months of fooling with them screwing my billing to all ends, I ended my service and went to Dish Network. The entire fiasco caused me to write a very negative report on them with BBB and to the CEO of DirecTV. I get advertisements from them every week to come back. I haven't had any problems with Dish Network to speak of. I am however, considering ATT Uverse.

Call them and explain that you have just purchased a 3D TV. They WILL upgrade you to a 3D capable receiver at no cost. (It works fine on 2D).

My dvr starting to lag and I spoke with technical guy he told me this.

They sent me 1 fedex months before I actually switched to 3 d television!

Guest uofmeet

I have direct TV and love it. Although I have the new receivers. But just tell them you want to cancel and see how long it takes to get a new receiver. When you say you are going to cancel, they will give you extras....

Having sold all of them at some point (Uverse the exception) switch when ever your contract experires. You will stay on the peromotional rates and beat them at their own game. IMO, you get more for your money with Dish than Direct. U verse I'm not familiar with. I go to cable in between cycles of the satelite companies just to get better deals.

I've had exceptional service form Direct TV...they are not perfect but none are. On those occasions when I've considered switching to Dish I always got the feeling that they felt they were doing me a favor if they let me be their customer (plus it looks to me as if their channel selection, especially HD/3D just isn't up to par with Direct.

I will never again use the cable company...I'll go back to rabbit ears before I do that.

The new service offered by AT&T is interesting but not available in my area yet!

We've had DTV for many years. Service has been outstanding. I kept getting solicited for special pricing for new users so I asked them for some of that special pricing. Conversation with the entry level phone person was going no where quickly so,,,,,,,,,,After some serious discussion with an "upgraded phone support person" I got and additional receiver installed at no cost, which we wanted. Don't spend a lot of time talking with the first line phone support person.

My internet service is Wild Blue thru Dish Net. Probably not a good comparison to TV but their internet service just plane 'sucks'.

oldogy

When i tried to cancel they said they could send me a new receiver but it could be another hr-22. They couldn't guarantee that I would get a newer model receiver such as the hr-24. They also said this would put me in another two year contract (and without any discounts at that). I have had them since 2006 which is how long I have had that receiver....

The incident that caused this is the fact that the new guide (which looks better) has slowed my receiver to a crawl. Changing channels take 6 seconds for the picture and sound to show up, and just asking the guide to show up takes 6 seconds too. If I change from a HD channel to a SD channel that takes even longer. I may try my cable company again. Thanks guys.

Guest nicemac
When i tried to cancel they said they could send me a new receiver but it could be another hr-22. They couldn't guarantee that I would get a newer model receiver such as the hr-24. They also said this would put me in another two year contract (and without any discounts at that). I have had them since 2006 which is how long I have had that receiver....

The incident that caused this is the fact that the new guide (which looks better) has slowed my receiver to a crawl. Changing channels take 6 seconds for the picture and sound to show up, and just asking the guide to show up takes 6 seconds too. If I change from a HD channel to a SD channel that takes even longer. I may try my cable company again. Thanks guys.

Don't try to cancel. Cancel. I told them to cancel me effective my next billing date (that was about 2 weeks away). They called me every day trying to get me back. The "get them back people" have a lot more latitude than the "keep them" people.

I've had and sold both. Dish Network is a better value. Customer service is probably similar between the two. Dish used to lag behind technology-wise, but I think they're on par with each other these days.

I've had both Direct and Dish. I now have Dish. I really don't think there's much difference between the two. I can tell you the CEO of Dish is a UT grad if that makes any difference. I think both are more expensive than they should be. 100+ channels and there still isn't anything worth watching most nights.

I have had direct tv for 3 years no issues until last week. My DVD died. I pay a service fee but I found out it is a waste of money. All they would do is ship out a replacement. When I had to leave before it came because my brother is in the hospital they wouldn't send a tech out to replace without charging me 49 bucks. So my wife is pissed. I will be looking for other options soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guest ukhayes

Dish was the worst company I have ever dealt with. During the time I was with them, we lost 5 different channels due to non-negotiated contracts. They eventually returned but Dish offered no reimbursement for the loss. Been with DirecTV for 6 years with no regrets.