"The Debt Generation" by TN College Students

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see that. By the time I'm finished with all my schooling (Master's Degree) I will most likely have surpassed $50k in debt.

Good lord! How? Don't you get money from being in the military?

I finished my bachelors with $7,500 in student loans but my first 2 years were really cheap at P.S.C.C.

Guest bkelm18
Good lord! How? Don't you get money from being in the military?

I finished my bachelors with $7,500 in student loans but my first 2 years were really cheap at P.S.C.C.

Not as much as you would think and you don't get much of anything for graduate schooling.

A graduate degree costs a lot more than an undergraduate degree, as well. Unless you can realize another $15000 to $20000 more a year, I don't see a Masters as that much more beneficial. If you are set on a Masters, though, get out of school and go to work for a company that is willing to pay for at least part of the cost. I know that's hard to do in this economy. I know a lot of new Civil Engineers are graduating and staying in school to get their Masters because there are no jobs for them. The problem is, there are no jobs for them afterwards either. Also if your degree offers a Co-op Program, I highly recommend it. The new graduates I know, that have gotten jobs all went through a Co-op Program.

Well you can all Flame me if you would like, I am embarking on a journey to my doctorate. When that is said and done, I will be working for a meager living!

I am working toward my DNS (Doctorate in Nursing Science) and after I graduate and Pass the exams for Nurse practitioner I will be seeking Federal funding to set up a mobile clinic in order to serve the areas out here that do not have medical facilities readily available/accessible to people.

I have looked into it and the government will pay back my loans under certain programs for underserved areas.

If they fall by the wayside before I am done, I will sell off some of my property up north to cover it. I am going for broke in my idea of retirement. My kids may have to fend for themselves…. LOL

A graduate degree costs a lot more than an undergraduate degree, as well. Unless you can realize another $15000 to $20000 more a year, I don't see a Masters as that much more beneficial. If you are set on a Masters, though, get out of school and go to work for a company that is willing to pay for at least part of the cost. I know that's hard to do in this economy. I know a lot of new Civil Engineers are graduating and staying in school to get their Masters because there are no jobs for them. The problem is, there are no jobs for them afterwards either. Also if your degree offers a Co-op Program, I highly recommend it. The new graduates I know, that have gotten jobs all went through a Co-op Program.

Co-op (internship) job experience is critical, consider it NFO (not flippin' optional). Sure, it'll take you (at least) an extra year to graduate, but if it makes the difference between getting a job and moving back home... it's worth it.

If you want to go to graduate school, get a teaching or research assistant position. No tuition fees and I got paid $700/mo to go to grad school. The MS degree netted me about $10k/yr in salary at my first job and I believe it's helped me in subsequent job searches (just getting a job, not with $).

The days of employers paying for graduate school are mostly gone. It effectively takes an act of congress to get through all the paperwork that's typically required. They make it very difficult on purpose.

Guest ThePunisher

Will be interesting to see if this debt generation will vote for Obama this time around, seeing that they are in debt up to the kilt the rest of their life.

Nice to see that at least some of the younger people take in by "O's" promises have opened their eyes and realized just where he's leading us. Maybe there is hope for change after all.

And you are assuming that we were taken in by Obama's promises to begin with? I never believed his BS to begin with.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Guest bkelm18

I didn't vote for him the first time, not gonna vote for him the second time. Doesn't do much use to complain about the ridiculous price of college. It's the path I have chosen and I'm prepared to deal with the expenses. It is what it is, not much I can do about it aside from vote for the right people, but the right people don't always win.

I wish the kids would have thought a bit more before they pulled the lever last time. Although

it was a good attempt to right the wrong, the damage already done was an expensive lesson

for us to have to pay for. And one point those kids should understand: Someone else is paying

for it while you are in college. Don't forget too much and become the problem again.

Let's not have any more expensive lessons. Someone might get hurt.

Good ad, though.