Need honest thoughts on SIG p238 and other pocket rockets

Guest pfries

Seems like pretty much everyone who has a 238, loves the 238.

Add me to that list. So far, no hickups, burps, or problems with any factory ammo I've tried -

Just be sure to get a decent pocket holster. Keeps it in the right position for draw, plus protects your investment..

Oh yeah ... it is FUN at the range !!! Not my first choice for SD stopping power, but as has been noted, a .380 in your pocket is better than a .45 back home in the safe, for those times or occasions when something bigger just isn't an option.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll also add that the trigger on my 238 is pretty heavy for a SA. I would find this objectionable on a 1911, but I don't mind it on a pocket pistol. Accuracy was still good at SD range but the trigger is a little on the heavy side. Only negative a really have is that it only comes with one mag and spares are pricey

Guest Catfish36

Who carries a cocked-and-locked P238 in a pocket? How do you like it?

I do!

I love this gun! I can not say enough good about it. As other have said, unlike the LCP I have shot..this gun is not just good for carry..but it is fun to shoot at the range. Real night sights, little recoil, accurate (size considered), and the Trigger pull compared to the LCP or TCP is sooo much better.

Comparing this gun to other pocket .380's IMO is like comparing your favorite steak house to McDonalds. Yes, At the end of the day..they both serve dead cow. Well yes..they all will all put a .380 lead down range...but the P238 is in a different league when doing it.

If those interested in this gun are in the Knoxville or Maryville area..I am always looking for any excuse to go to Coal Creek or Gunnys to shoot..would be more than happy to let you pull the trigger on mine before you buy.

I don't own a Sig but would seriously look at one if I didn't already have a Kahr CW9. If I had a bigger gun budget I'd buy it just cause I want it not cause I need it. I split time carrying the Kahr and my Glock and when I carry the Kahr I split time between pocket and IWB. To me the small guns are for carry and SD. I prefer shooting the Glock 50 rounds thru the Kahr and my hand is red but the Kahr is more comfertable to carry and easier to conceal.

I carried a KT P3AT for about two and a half years. I finally bought the P238 in November of last year. Out of 1007 rds I have had 5 FTE malfunctions out of it and I track every round I fire. All of my malfunctions have been with Fiocchi ammo. (I sense a pattern). This morning, I fired 213 rds of 3 different types of ammunition. No problems at all.

My thoughts are, you get good and bad with anything, there is that break in period. 100 rds this morning was Fiocchi ammo. Again zero problems. I'm ordering new recoil and firing pin springs now.

Bottom line is, I would never have set down and fired 213 rds in one sitting with the Kel-Tec. (Nothing against them as they have their place and purpose). As echoed by others, you get what you pay for. The P238 is a pleasure to shoot and accurate. I fully intend on getting my spare springs and shooting the crap out of this thing. If you do decide to get one, I highly doubt you will regret the investment.

I'm back to carrying PM9 daily for better part of last two years:

Kahr-Stellar-sm.jpg

- OS

And what are the overall pros and cons, how poketable is it in reality? Trigger reliability and so forth?

Like I said putting a deposit to make sure I have a grab at the P938 only promised I would spend the cash there on somthing...

And what are the overall pros and cons, how poketable is it in reality? Trigger reliability and so forth?

Like I said putting a deposit to make sure I have a grab at the P938 only promised I would spend the cash there on somthing...

Only real con with the PM9 was that it's expensive, but there's the CM9.

Mine was reliable from the gitgo, fired the 200 round breakin all at one time with various loads, was 100%. Only stoppage I've ever had was when inserting a new mag when the top round wasn't seated right (they can ease out, even come all the way out if you carry a spare loose in pocket).

That Stellar Rigs holster fits just fine in cargo pants or shorts (my main wear year round); the extra mag doesn't take up any more room if you look at squared off area of just pistol itself. Like any pistola of this size, though, tight pants or smallish pockets aren't gonna cut it.

Course, you can opt for a quite simple IWB and the thing disappears, too. Never seen reason to use something as elaborate as a Crossbreed for such a small heater.

I really prefer the extra capacity of my XD subbie, but I do to a semi NPE where I work out, have to change clothes, and just settled back into the pocket carry for total and worry free concealment. I'm not much on carrying a different gun different days of the week, get set in my ways with same daily "loadout".

- OS

I think I am going to hit shooters edge on Monday and rent (good lord knows I hate to do that) the CM and CW9 that they have in the line up of rentals.

Thanks for the input OhShoot

wll still have he XD in the lock box in the car so primary at work, bug before and after, thats what I need...

... the CM and CW9 that they have in the line up of rentals....

I find the CW to be just large enough to NOT be a pocket carry.

That's for me, though, even though I'm pretty big guy. Some here claim to carry G26 or XD subbie in pocket, too, so YMMV I guess.

- OS

• 1 month later...

Pfries - If budget is an issue at all, you may benefit from looking at the Taurus 709 slim. This entire thread mostly compared higher dollar guns (trust me I love the P238), but I absolutely love my 709. daily carry C&L all day long. Very reliable. Great trigger. Carries very well. Just sayin'.....

I carry the PM9 in right front pocket or IWB 4 o'clock. The CW9 and CM9 are same size and less expensive.

9mm is my minimum caliber to carry. Six rounds of 9MM.

CM9 same size as PM9, CW9 is larger -- significantly so, as far as pocket carry.

- OS