IDPA vs USPSA

Ok, just going to throw this out there.

IDPA vs USPSA. Which do you prefer and why?

I am looking to try getting into some competitions (probably at ORSA) and figured that this would be a good way to find out some information. I plan to go with the equipment needed to participate, but will probably just observe the first time up. I live a good hour away in Sevier county so if anyone knows of some closer competitions please let me know, or any of you that participate at ORSA in Oak Ridge give me some information about the competitions.

Just to tidy things up a little, I have a Glock 34 and am looking for some equipment to use so I am asking for some recommendation on LOCAL (Knoxville/Maryville/Sevierville) shops that carry some decent IDPA/USPSA legal holsters.

I do both, IDPA is designed for the CCW group, more tactical, told how to shoot the stage. USPSA is just a hell of a lot of fun. You are given targets and an area to engage them, you figure it out. Most shops don't carry good holsters for competition, best bet is to go with places like blade tech, shooters connection or jump on to the Enos fourms and read what others use. . I use Blade tech holsters myself for IDPA and USPSA production. Limited and open is a whole other bag of worms. Remember a CCW holster will have safety locks that you may not want, unless you want to practic with what you carry in a carry holster, some do. If you go to the range, just ask to see what people are using, most will let you try them out. Oak Ridge is a great place to shoot, I wish I was close by.

• Like 1

Try both. Like the above post said, IDPA is more defensive-oriented, and depending on the stage, is more choreographed. Both are games, but USPSA is stricly about figuring out the quickest way to complete the stage. Some want IDPA stages to be shot the same way, but a good IDPA match director can make stages that offer several options while following the rules and spirit of IDPA (shooting from cover, not exposing yourself to multiple threats, etc). Both are a blast.

As for equipment, your Glock 34, assuming it has no major modifications (other than different sights, etc), is perfect for USPSA Production or IDPA Stock Service Pistol with the magazines downloaded to 10 rounds. I am partial to Comp-Tac holsters and mag carriers, but Blade-Tech is also popular. These are kydex products--for expertise on leather gear, someone else will have to fill you in.

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 1

As said, both are just games with a timer and a score. Both WILL improve your pistol handling skills. Neither will prepare you to clear a house or survive a force on force encounter.

Play both and see what you like. Many play both all the time. If I had the time, I would play both, and be active in 3 gun. :)

... will probably just observe the first time up.

You'll be mad at yourself if you do.

You need a Holster, mag carriers for 2 mags, at least 3 mags and ammo.

Try going to Greens Military or Craigs Firearms in Seymour and see what they have.

Great folks at ORSA, just show up with your gear and they will take care of you.

Edited by BrasilNuts
Guest perjohn

I shoot at orsa on a regular basis, both the idpa and uspsa matches are well run with challenging stages. Come on out this saturday for the uspsa match. You can run your 34 in production, you just need a holster and 3 or 4 mag pouches. I have all the equipment you will need, and would be happy to let you use it if you like. Just bring your pistol and ammo. Everybody is very accomodating to new shooters, and we'd be glad to have you! Pm me and let me know if you're interested.

Perry Johnson

Guest Nutts&Bolts

I also shoot both...

IPSC is fast and fun very simple

IDPA is fun but lot's of rules to learn

I'll even go further and say you'll like IDPA better. Seems most new shooters LIKE to be told every step to shooting a stage. They get overwhelmed by having to THINK out a course for themselves.

I enjoy THE GAME.....for me, IPSC is the better choice...your opinion may vary.

And don't be scared of the Open class IPSC shooters...it's an expensive class to step into...and it's not for everyone...of course it works for me.

Pop'n a cap is fun even if it's just at a can.

Enjoy all of it

We are shooting USPSA this Saturday (18 Feb) at ORSA. Bring your G34, 4 or more mags, 200 rounds, and be prepared to have a lot of fun. I'll bring an extra holster that will work for your 34 (though won't be the fanciest holster) and a couple mag pouches. You will soon be addicted!!

Thanks for the information, and thanks 2Alpha and perjohn for the offer of loan for this weekend. Unfortunately I am out of town this weekend. I had hoped to be back today, but will not be back till Monday. I noticed that ORSA has a IDPA on the first weekend of the month and I am going to try to be there on March 3rd and will try to come up for the USPSA shot in March as well.

Thanks again for the information, and I will take everyone's advice and try them both out for myself.

God Bless and Have fun shooting!

Guest A10thunderbolt

I wouldn't mind watching a match to see what its like, how would I go about seeing one do I just drive over there?(ORSA) can I bring my wife and young son?

You are more than welcome to come out and watch (though its a lot more fun to shoot). Please bring eye and ear protection for everybody (though if you don't have enought sets, we can loan you some). We start shooting about 10, finish about 1:30 or so. Please check our website (orsaap.com or orsaidpa.com for directions to the action pistol range at ORSA. Look forward to seeing you at the range.