I want a tack driving .22 bolt action.

shaftbass

I want the best .22 bolt that can be bought for $400. Gallatin Gun Club holds .22 matches every month and I'd like a nice gun to use there. The distances go out to 310 yards, and neither .22 I have (Marlin model 60 and old Mossberg bolt) are tight enough to shoot with the accuracy I want at that distance. It needs to have a tubular magazine because I hate loading .22 detachable magazines, and while it would be nice to have a stainless barrel, it's not required for me.

What's good?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Archimedes
...and while it would be nice to have a stainless barrel, it's not required for me.

I think a stainless barrel will give you more accuracy.

~Archi

To the best of my knowledge, there are no bolt action tubular magazined .22's. You'll probably have to settle for either single-shot or detachable magazine. Ruger 77/22 is about the only thing that comes to mind that will do the job for under $400. And that might be hard even then, because you'd want the heavy stainless barrel.

Guest DEIMOS
To the best of my knowledge, there are no bolt action tubular magazined .22's.

I've got a very old JC Higgins .22 that is tube fed. It is actually a Marlin that was sold by Sears and given the JC Higgins moniker. I forget the model # right now.

Guest jackdog

One of the tightest rifles I've used recently is Savage, their prices are well within your price range. And if your backasswards like I used to be they are available in a left handed configuration. Looking at a .17 HMR myself.

Jack, I had a Savage 17R for a while. That was before the Accutrigger came out. It was reasonably priced and very accurate.

I traded it for something I'd use more than a 17 HMR, but would buy one again. Only negative was that if you get in a hurry, it is possible to mis-mount the magazine and jam it in the well. Maybe that has now been fixed.

Guest jackdog

Mars still deciding, on what to do. 17HMR is a nice flat shooter, but the 22 rim fire is a lot cheaper to shoot. If you or reef are looking for open sights the Savage Mark II fvt with peep sights and Accu trigger is the one I was shooting. It belongs to my son, who has always loved his 10/22 ruger. He got his for 275.00 so price wise that really fits Reefs budget. Anyone out there if shot 17 hm2?

Guest jackdog

But on the other hand they are still a lot more accurate, and offer considerably more yardage. Shooting cost is roughly 20 cents per round.

Guest jackdog

I can surely think of other really dumb ways to waste my money. Had a really nice and expensive boat a few years back. (Gave it to my son in TEXAS).

If not for the monies spent on that thing I could have a much nicer collection of firearms.

Guest jackdog

9 year old grand daughter will be up all next week so the 22 pistols and rifles will get a bunch of use. Started shooting last year and she loves it. Thinking about buying her a .22 Rifle while shes here next week.

Guest GlocKingTN
9 year old grand daughter will be up all next week so the 22 pistols and rifles will get a bunch of use. Started shooting last year and she loves it. Thinking about buying her a .22 Rifle while shes here next week.

Starting her early huh jack? Good idea!:)

Guest jackdog

Most importantly she knows and uses good gun safety. During the school year she wrote a 5 page report on guns and gun safety. Her teacher contacted me via a phone call one evening. She explained that she had always been against guns, but after reading Bailey's paper she was not as sure as before. We spoke in length for sometime. I'm very proud of her.

• 9 months later...

I feel ya on other hobbies taking up the cash. Cars and RC's don't come cheap.

I can only afford one hobby at a time and right now it is guns.

I used to do golf but that bored me some terrible after years and years of it working in the business. I did diving in florida when we lived there but I developed a huge phobia of drowning and sold off all my dive gear. So now it is guns.

I did buy a pretty nice bolt action Savage .22 this past spring. It was under 200 NIB. I don't know if I shoot as good as the gun can or if I just suck, but when I take the time to set up the shot, and don't shoot so rapidly that the barrel heats up it if a pretty accurate rifle.