Suggestions on 357 Sig Reloading

I have a set of carbide dies for this caliber, but have not reload this caliber, yet. I have reloaded most pistol calibers but this one.

I would like to use 124 grain HP bullets but can't find any. I have plenty of 115g Hornady 9mm HP. I have looked at reloading manuals and am considering Accurate powder #2. #5 or #9. #9 gives the highest velocity. These rounds would be for pratice. I could use a FMJ bullet also. My reloading press is a Dillon 550.

What powders , charge, fps, and bullet do you use? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ishel:_____________

We reload the 124 grain hornady XTP(...available from midway...) with 13.5 grains of Accurate #9. Accurate and powerful load.

We reload "plinking loads" with Rainier (...midway...) 124 grain TCFP plated bullets with 12.0 grains of Accurate #9. Good accuracy, milder recoil.

Pay attention to sizing on these and make sure the overall length is good per your reloading manual.

Hope this helps.

leroy

Guest Lester Weevils

Dunno nothin about .357 sig but this thread got me curious and did a little reading.

Came across this article where the fella seems familiar with .357 sig, who appears obsessed in making for dern sure that bullet setback will be as near-impossible as possible on this caliber. Dunno if he is overstating but was an interesting read--

http://www.handgunin...fety.reload.htm

Edit-- Apparently at the moment the "host site" for that Pete's info is nearly empty except for his archived .357 sig pages. The master page for all his .357 sig writings is here--

http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/www.Pete-357.com/

Edited by Lester Weevils

That is an interesting article. I worry about setback when reloading but not from re-chambering rounds. I always make sure I have one FMJ set aside from practicing and that is what is loaded into the chamber after each session or cleaning. The rest of the mag gets the good stuff.

When I hit the range I dump the mag, put one with practice stuff in it and fire away. No unloading and reloading with all the potential pitfalls…

I guess I am giving up effectiveness in the first round but in general I’m pretty sure there will be another right behind it that will be the expanding variety. So at a maximum the chambered round will be chambered twice and that is only if it is present in the gun when it is cleaned.

Works for me, Mark

• 1 month later...

I setup my Dillon 550 to reload 357 Sig today. I used 8.3 g of Accurate #5 with 124 g bullet, approximately 1100fps. #9 data said compressed load.

I tried using Berry's 124 g round nose but could not get 1.14" OAL(per Accurate website) due to taper on bullet. I had some Hornady 124 xtp

that I was able to set OAL at 1.152, just where bullet started tapering. Grouping was decent, but Accurate #5 burns dirty, not clean.

Does the Accurate #9, which I have several pounds, burn any cleaner. Do you get compressed loads with bullets seated correctly?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by lshel

I am loading mine with 5.4 grains Universal Clays and 124 gr Berrys plated flat nose. You cant use the round nose bulets because they will fall into the case due to the taper starting so far down the bullet. The narrow neck on the Sig case mandates that the bullet must not taper too far down. I am shooting out of Glock 33 which is the subcompact and recoil is very managable. First shooting I did was with the Speer Lawman 124gr flat nose, and it was no fun at all. With the load I am using now I enjoy shooting it as much if not more than my Glock 22 in competition style shooting.

• 2 weeks later...