Parking Lot Bill Question

Guest jkintn

Question is not so much around the bill but more around current laws. What determines whether or not I can leave my gun locked in my car while at work? Does the company have to post the gunbuster sign on entrances or does the mere mention of no weapons allowed in an employee handbook suffice?

Guest bkelm18

Well if they say no handguns on company property in your handbook and you are parked on company property and for whatever reason they search your car you can be terminated.

Question is not so much around the bill but more around current laws. What determines whether or not I can leave my gun locked in my car while at work? Does the company have to post the gunbuster sign on entrances or does the mere mention of no weapons allowed in an employee handbook suffice?

Two different issues.

TN law says parking lot must be posted compliant with statute.

Employer's rules are not law -- but no law prevents employer from firing you.

- OS

• Like 1

I’ve never seen a verifiable claim of someone being charged with carrying past a sign. So I would say being disciplined for violating company policy would be your biggest concern.

And in TN, a non-represented worker can pretty much be dismissed for *anything*, even opinion. The employer rarely has to prove cause, and even then, it is after the fact, and heavily weighed in company favor (even with recent legislation to "protect" the worker).

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I retired from a company (Nissan North America) where the parking lots were NO posted, thus, carrying and leaving my firearm in my vehicle was not a criminal matter. BUT, around 2005 or so, the company did a 180 and made it a matter of company policy that firearms were forbidden anywhere on company property, including vehicles in the parking lot. This caused quite a lot of angst among those who routinely, for example, carried their gear/firearms with them in their vehicles so they could go hunting, shooting after work.

I've never received a good explanation for "why" the company so suddenly and completely changed its mind.

Also, while they claimed the right to do so, as far as I know they never once demanded that an employee allow a search of his/her vehicle which sort of makes me wonder just how serous their policy was???

• Like 1
...Also, while they claimed the right to do so, as far as I know they never once demanded that an employee allow a search of his/her vehicle which sort of makes me wonder just how serous their policy was???

Just likely another decision influenced by corporate lawyers, based on perceived liability.

FedEx is as uptight a place regarding guns as I know. Hell, you're not even supposed to carry a pocketknife past the guard shack. In my three years at Ground, the only vehicle searches to my knowledge had to do with theft by the loaders or hired drivers of the actual contracted ones.

And every driver had a pocketknife of course, wasn't an issue through security if you were a driver; hell, we had to open any number of boxes any given day, how else to do it?

- OS

RobertNashville, I retired from Nissan North America also, Smyrna plant, 24 years. I don't know of any search of a vehicle looking for a firearm. I do know they requested to look in vehicles at least twice, but that was on suspicion of theft. I just left my gun in the truck and didn't ever have a problem.

And I carried for 12 years before carry permits were available.

Yeah, "Don't ask, Don't tell!" is good advice.