Can't find what I'm looking for!

So maybe this doesn't belong in this particular forum but I've been looking everywhere for a brick and mortar store that carries the Federal HSTs in 9mm. So far I haven't been able to find HSTs in any caliber at all, except on the internet. I keep hearing (and seeing) great things about this carry round and I really want me some but I don't want to pay for the shipping costs associated with ordering ammo online. Does anyone know of a place in TN (preferably close to Nashville) that carries this stuff?

So far I've checked D&T, Guns and Leather (both of them), Outpost Armory, Goodlettsville Gun Shop, nRange, Bass Pro Shop, all of the sporting goods stores in Rivergate, and East Side Guns (Bill Bernstein is a super cool guy). Nobody carries Federal HST or Winchester Ranger-T. I know that they are not illegal to sell to civilians, so it seams like somebody would have them! Help!

TheFinder

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's only one brick and mortar store that I'm aware of that carries Ranger T's and that's Craigs here in Knoxville and the only reason they have them is because they ordered them for someone who never picked them up.

Other than that, ordering online is your best bet. SGAmmo.com had the best price shipped for Ranger T's for me. I'm not sure about the HST's though but shop around. There's definitely a lot of websites out there.

• Admin Team

HSTs are officially a "Law Enforcement Only" round. There isn't a law concerning this in Tennessee - rather, it's ATK's policy with their dealers. Thus, you'll be hard pressed to ever see it in a store.

AmmunitionToGo has it in stock right now - which is really rare. Two other good online sources are Tactical Defense Solutions and Kyle's Gunshop. I've ordered from both of the latter with great prices and great customer service.

The 147gr P9HST2 is my carry round of choice.

I take it none of the stores in question would order it for you?

Good question, I didn't really think about that until last night while at the Guns and Leather in Greenbriar to pick something up for a friend. They suggested I talk to Mark at the Hendersonville store (it's closer to where I live) and see if they could order it for me. Last time I called, Mark was busy but I'm going to try again in a half hour or so. I'm hoping they will sell it to me even though I'm not an LEO, we shall see.

I appreciate the website suggestions everybody, I just didn't feel real comfortable ordering online from a place I've never used (especially since some of them require photocopies of your ID) and had never heard anything about. If Guns and Leather can't get it for me I feel better now about using one of the websites ya'll mentioned. Plus the shipping at AmmoToGo wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be!

P.S. If ya'll were given the choice of carrying Federal HST or Winchester Ranger-Ts which would you choose?

Good question, I didn't really think about that until last night while at the Guns and Leather in Greenbriar to pick something up for a friend. They suggested I talk to Mark at the Hendersonville store (it's closer to where I live) and see if they could order it for me. Last time I called, Mark was busy but I'm going to try again in a half hour or so. I'm hoping they will sell it to me even though I'm not an LEO, we shall see.

I appreciate the website suggestions everybody, I just didn't feel real comfortable ordering online from a place I've never used (especially since some of them require photocopies of your ID) and had never heard anything about. If Guns and Leather can't get it for me I feel better now about using one of the websites ya'll mentioned. Plus the shipping at AmmoToGo wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be!

P.S. If ya'll were given the choice of carrying Federal HST or Winchester Ranger-Ts which would you choose?

I really like the Ranger T's personally.

However, the price of the HST is definitely more attractive. $20 a box vs $27 a box is a pretty good chunk of change when you factor in that you'll probably be buying 2 boxes so you can actually shoot some of the loads so $40 vs $52 :D.

I have no idea about the HST but isn't Winchester's PDX1 simply RangerT in 'civilian packaging'? I think that is right. I can buy PDX1 locally, even at most of the local Walmart locations - not hard to find, at all. In fact, that is what I carry in my Ruger P95 (124 grain 9mm +P) and my S&W 642 (130 grain .38+P.) Of course, my understanding is that the 'advantage' to buying Ranger is that it comes in 50 round boxes for a few bucks more than what PDX1 costs for a 20 round box. That said, like the OP I am hesitant to order online. I figure that, after confirming function/reliabilty in my guns I am not going to be putting thousands or even hundreds of rounds of this stuff downrange. Probably no more than a box or two a year while doing the bulk of my practice with cheaper range ammo. Therefore, it is worth it, to me, to simply buy the smaller packages in a store and not hassle with online ordering.

Edited by JAB

By the time youve driven around to all these stores youve more than paid for shipping in gas. Also, Ive purchased the Ranger's AND HST's online and never had to provide a copy of my drivers license. All of my dealings with these places mentioned have went without a hitch.

Heh, you're right I've probably spent three times the shipping just driving around. It's time I just break down and order it online, I think I'm going to go with ammotogo. Thanks for the help everyone!