AK Information requested

hipower

Yeah, the hood is a great place to pick up stuff off the record. I've found some great deals in the trunk of 70's Caddy's! J/K :)

Carolina is great to deal with. Pick up just about everything there.

The best thing about shopping in the hood is you can try it out at the time of purchase :rofl:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not the most intuitative about changing things around. I may or may not do any converting to it. We will see. After doing a little more looking, I found a fully converted Saiga for not much difference in price. Almost find myself thinking of buying it and offerreing the unconverted for sale. Or maybe just keep it as is. Hey, I never said I could stick to one thing at a time.

Now this is interesting....quoting my own post. But it does have some relevance. I did say I couldn't stick to one thing at a time...so I traded for a Romanian WASR10 today. Don't ask. I traded a pistol I took in trade on another pistol last month. Orginal owner, of the AK, that is, was going to AR platform only and wanted an entry level 1911. I offerred and he accepted. Went to pick it up this morning and put about 75 rounds of Remington, Winchester, and Silver Bear downrange.

My first time shooting an AK. Granted it was only 25 yards at an indoor range, Outdoor Junction in Cookeville, but I was very impressed with the little rifle. Best grouping measured 3" x 2" with 10 rounds. Not great, I know, but for my first shots with the platform...I'm very pleased.

I think I'm really going to like this rifle. Oh, the Tapco #2 trigger in it was fabulous. Much, much better than the stock trigger on the Saiga.

Yeah, I've still got the Saiga. Not really sure what I'm going to do with it yet. Can it really be any better than the Wasr? Considering how little I have in the Wasr, I'm exceedingly pleased. :cool:

Guest The Dude

Now this is interesting....quoting my own post. But it does have some relevance. I did say I couldn't stick to one thing at a time...so I traded for a Romanian WASR10 today. Don't ask. I traded a pistol I took in trade on another pistol last month. Orginal owner, of the AK, that is, was going to AR platform only and wanted an entry level 1911. I offerred and he accepted. Went to pick it up this morning and put about 75 rounds of Remington, Winchester, and Silver Bear downrange.

My first time shooting an AK. Granted it was only 25 yards at an indoor range, Outdoor Junction in Cookeville, but I was very impressed with the little rifle. Best grouping measured 3" x 2" with 10 rounds. Not great, I know, but for my first shots with the platform...I'm very pleased.

I think I'm really going to like this rifle. Oh, the Tapco #2 trigger in it was fabulous. Much, much better than the stock trigger on the Saiga.

Yeah, I've still got the Saiga. Not really sure what I'm going to do with it yet. Can it really be any better than the Wasr? Considering how little I have in the Wasr, I'm exceedingly pleased. :cool:

the only way to really tell the difference in the two would be to convert the saiga and then make your judgement. plus it would be much more fair.

the only way to really tell the difference in the two would be to convert the saiga and then make your judgement. plus it would be much more fair.

That's true. But I'm having so much fun with the WASR, it seems unlikely that I'll do that at this point. I seem to have a short attention span, as I have indicated before; and am already looking towards another AR at this point.

Ok, got the new AR. A colt 6920 and it's pretty nice. So now I'm pretty certain the Saiga will stay unconverted for the foreseeable future. I may just set it in the back of the safe and see what comes next. Or maybe I'll get a wild hare itch and want to see it.

Lets see what the rest of the spring and early summer bring....

WOW! Wish I had your job! Can't afford to do such things anymore. So you got a Saiga, a WASR and a Colt AR. Not a bad couple of weeks! Just think how that G2 trigger group would feel in that Saiga. I love mine. What caliber did you get in the Saiga?

No, the Colt came from a private sale. I looked at G&L, both stores, D&T, and a few others to get a feel for the available selection without ordering. The Colt is the

SP6920MP-B model and seems pretty nice. Don't expect to make many, if any, changes. I usually leave things as purchased, but a mid range optic system may come later. I don't have to have the high end stuff, I can accept a lot less than a top of the line Eotech.

As for the purchases; Saiga was very cheap from a friend, still nib, but quite a bit under the 599 I've seen locally for them. I traded for the Wasr. My only extra cost in it was the travel time and fuel cost. I traded a pistol at a recent gun show for another, then found someone wanting that particular pistol and traded it for the Wasr 10. Just being in the right place and willing to hunt for a while to find what you want at a deal you can live with.

I've seen prices, online prices, that is; around 550 lately. But individuals are usually asking more than that for a decent Romanian. But like everything else, searching can yield some good buys.

The Colt I paid for by selling stuff I wasn't shooting any more. I parted with one very nice Sig 1911 that I already regret giving up. But that and a couple others helped fund the newest range toy. I've found that for me, if I want something new, something old has gotta go. Wish it weren't so, but that's life in my world.

My job you can have. I spent 14 years in automotive part sales, usually 12 hours a day, making 25 to 35 calls a day, and 275+ miles every day in all types of traffic

and weather. Big cities, little towns, and hole-in-the wall operations. I left it July 18, 2008 when I went in and told my GM I had Chronic Lymphatic Leukemia and Lymphatic Cancer and would be undergoing surgery five days later for removal of a grapefruit-sized tumor between my stomach and colon.

Several operations later, chemotherapy, and radiation and I'm on medical disability, restricted life style and all the fun that entails. But I'm still here. Evidently our Lord still has something left for me to do here.

Maybe it's giving all you guys here a hard time? If so, I intend to give it my best shot. (Horrible pun really intended.)

Keep giving us a hard time and enjoy the new toy!!

Believe me, I have you in my crosshairs right now.

BTW, before the Colt deal came into being, I was tempted to check with you on your possible sales items. You seem to have everything I might possibly want to look at. Actually did almost send pm on the Bushmaster, but had one, and wanted to try something else. Did get real tempted by a Colt 9mm at G&L though.