what else would i need

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Micrometer to measure OAL of the loaded round.

To clean the cases buy some Lemishine at Walmart. Soak the cases overnight in a mixture of hot water and a teaspoon of Lemishine. It makes the cases come out almost as clean as tumbling. You will need to rinse them and let them dry. You need to make sure you clean brass before sizing them because a singel piece of sand can ruin your dies. It will leave a burr and every case after the burr will have a scratch.

Dolomite

I have ordered from Factory sales a couple of times. One thing I do not like is the wait for the items seemed a bit long. I know I waited about 2 weeks for a set of dies once. But their prices are definitely the cheapest you are going to find on factory Lee stuff other than maybe on Ebay.

Dolomite

Micrometer to measure OAL of the loaded round.

To clean the cases buy some Lemishine at Walmart. Soak the cases overnight in a mixture of hot water and a teaspoon of Lemishine. It makes the cases come out almost as clean as tumbling. You will need to rinse them and let them dry. You need to make sure you clean brass before sizing them because a singel piece of sand can ruin your dies. It will leave a burr and every case after the burr will have a scratch.

Dolomite

so i would not have to use sand

I have used Lee, RCBS and Redding dies and they all work equally well. No need to spend the extra money on dies unless the caliber you are laoding is only available from one of the others.

I am a huge fan of Lee equipment and for the money they can't be beat. Now if you are wanting the best there is then Lee may not be the top choice.

Lee progressive presses are problematic. I have a 1000 and have never had more than a dozen rounds get loaded before I had to clear a problem. I bought an aluminum press like you are considering and it is definitely well worn now. I guess I loaded about 3,000 rounds then it got too loose for my likes. The aluminum press with the steel ram wore the aluminum out.

Lee cast iron single stage presses are really good. I really like the single stage used primer dump system. I bought a Lee Classic Cast after the aluminum one wore out and it has been rock solid. I have thousands more rounds through the Classic Cast and it is still just as good as day one.

Dolomite

I can't speak for the Lee setup but I've been happy with the Hornady outfit that I bought about six months ago. The powder measure comes with the necessary parts to throw charges for "rifle quantities" of powder. For pistol charges, you need a separate part that will throw smaller charges. Double check this in the Lee outfit before you pull the trigger on it. Hornady is also running a deal for 500 free bullets in the caliber of your choice if you buy the kit. Buying a set of dies will get you another 100 free bullets.

Guest canebreaker

I've been using the same kit your talking about since 1991.

You'll need these

http://www.midwayusa...umbler-110-volt

http://www.midwayusa...media-separator

Get the Zilla desert blend ground walnut shell media at Petco. It's cheaper there.

You may want this.

http://www.midwayusa...e-bullet-puller

http://www.midwayusa...er-451-diameter

Come back online when you get it on your bench, before you load any.

Edited by canebreaker

I like my all steel lee press. The alum ones have a bad rep for wearing out.

Sand is for a rock tumbler, and might work on brass in a setup like that (a barrel that spins). Most brass tumblers really just vibrate, and sand is inadequate, you need a lighter material (sand is too heavy!).

Im sitting here at my press and the only other stuff I have are just handy type items. Containers for brass and bullets and finished rounds. Tweezers to deal with stray primers (but my priming is on the press type). Pliers to pull the occasional goofed up round. A disposal box for unsafe mistakes (found a crack in the brass after loading it sort of thing). A bad brass box. A strong magnet to pick off steel cases. So mostly just a number of boxes to keep stuff organized. I use an ebook but you might want a book or computer or something to record your efforts.

Guest canebreaker

Pick up a notebook and some of those clear pages. It's great to keep all your reloading stuff in. I found some heavier pages that have a snap button. A small book will fit in it.

When you order online, ask for a catolog.

Visit different sites before ordering anything, compare prices.

Check with DLM to see what he may have.