Book, Glock: The Rise of America's Gun

runco

Not sure this is the best to place to place this new topic, but I searched this site, and did not get any hits on the subject, so I thought I would throw it out there.

I had to go out of town last week, and wanted something new and interesting to read, so I purchased this book after hearing about it. Though I am own 2 Glocks, I am not a Glock nut. After reading the book, don't know if I will ever be a Glock nut. I respect and understand what a great pistol the Glock is, but I just don't think I can become a Glock head. The book is actually very interesting and I highly recommend it to anyone. Since I am from the Knoxville area, there is a Knoxville connnection in the book. I vaughly remember reading about the situation in the newspaper 15+ years ago. After I read the book, it did clear up some mis-information I had about the origins of the Glock and how it become a pistol. I am sort of glad that the two Glocks I own were purchased 2nd hand. Having some strong moral values, I would hate to think my money help paid some lap dances in Atlanta. That is all I will say. What's your opinion of the book. Are there similiar books about other gun companies, S&W, Ruger, Sig, etc.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Glock is a business. Nothing more, nothing less. Just like any other there are skeletons in the closet, unsavory practices and people involved that would make most with any decent morals or sense of "right" cringe.

I'm glad to hear they covered the Knoxville incident. It's not easy finding information on that as it happened in the early '90's, more or less pre-internet.

Have yet to read the book but am looking forward to it at some point.

I have the Gun Digest Book of Glock - 2nd Edition

It is a pretty good book and gives you the history of how and why the glock was made.

But it doesn't mention any lap dances in Atlanta. I'd remember that........trust me.

If it's true, I'd like to party with old Gaston for a day.....or night :rock:

What happened with Glock & Knoxville?

I'm kinda winging it here so, as I recall from about 20 years ago, the following is what happened.

The Knoxville Police department had just started using Glock pistols. Maybe G17's but they definitely use G22's now. Anyway, an officer ended up shooting someone, who was already subdued and essentially prone, in the head. Killed her. It all started as a relatively minor incident to begin with.

This lead to that and that lead to the other. The question of Glock safety or lack thereof became a hot topic. There was a trial. I believe it may have been the first trial in which a gun manufacturer was sued. Gaston himself was subpoenaed and appeared in a Knoxville courtroom. I believe it was actually a civil suit brought by the victim's family.

That is how I loosely remember it. I believe the book will tell the whole tale much better.

Edited by Garufa

I don't think there are similar books about other gun manufacturers, probably because none of them have the combination of glamour and controversy like Glock does. You have to admit, Glock (make that GLOCK) did it first and did it best. Are S&W, Ruger, Beretta, et al mentioned in movies or rap songs nearly as much as Glock?

It's an interesting read that goes deep into the company's inner workings and how their marketing strategy smoked the competition. Paul Jannuzo, by the way, a major character in the book who was corporate counsel and later North American CEO, was just found guilty in Atlanta of theft and racketeering.

I work in Purchasing and I am constantly on the guard for Sales and marketing strategies that play to my company's weakness and our buyers! I admit as well, Glock certainly appeared to hit a homerun in many many different ways in their marketing strategy. I morally do not agree with their Thursday outings at the club, but I admit that was brillant, and 10 years ago, I would have loved to have taken their training classes at the Symrna campus with the Thursday outings. I also loved how they targeted S&W in many ways and exploited their weaknesses. Paul Jannuzo and others had it all, high profile positions, likely a fun job and in the end, the old fashioned greed took over. Regarding other books, I know that others do not have the thrill and hype as Glock, I would just like to read about the histories of other gun companies and their inner workings.