The irony of the .40 Cal ?

Guest Nunya

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

I reloaded some 10mm tonight, I can't see waisting my bullets in .40 cases....c6e4e208-cac6-7b22.jpg

What powder is that? Hard to tell from a picture, but that flash looks "angrier" than a .357 mag. :)

Guest Nunya

What powder is that? Hard to tell from a picture, but that flash looks "angrier" than a .357 mag. :)

I just want to know who the idiot is holding the camera!

Guest 6.8 AR

I've read all that, too, and when my cases were bulging, they were very hot loads. I

haven't had that problem in a long time and my loads are right up to the limit. It's pretty

obvious about the Glocks unsupported chamber. Just makes you more careful when

reloading.

I never got around to a 40 Short and Weak(j/k), but that 10mm cannon is impressive.

I do like my G20. The only Glock out of whack for me since I keep several thousand

ahead on 9mm and .45.

That is one thing that stuck in my mind from the last ammo shortage, .40sw and .357sig was everywhere 9 and .45 wasn't

This is exactly what I saw to. I went into Walmart only to see several boxes of 357sig. I told the guy I would take them. He looked at me like I was crazy and didn't know what they were.

I though I'd never say this, but I think I may buy a .40 !

Here's what I see happening... .40 ammo is expensive, so a lot of folks are selling their .40 cal autos (they're going cheap on the gun boards, sometimes sitting there for weeks, with 9's and .45's being snapped up.

New ammo off the shelf is expensive, but surplus ammo (bought for the guns they're selling) is being sold below sticker price.

Am I imagining this or are those business degrees finallly paying off?

Here's my plan.

- Buy a .40 and some ammo from the folks who are sitting on it.

- Shoot it up!

- Hope this whole thing subsides by the time I need ammo again or get ready to sell the .40.

Thoughts?

Only thought I have is to ask where you are seeing them sitting around cheap on gunboards ?

I haven't seen any here sell for cheap at all.

I DO NOT want to get into a caliber war but I've really never quite understood the appeal of the 40 S&W.

Ammo isn't inexpensive (comparatively) to 45 or 10MM, at least not enough to make a difference to me anyway.

The 40s I've shot didn't seem to be any more "controllable" than my 45s or 10mm.

Performance of the ammo isn't impressive compared to 45/10.

Please don't misunderstand, to each his own and I've not "against" the round...I've just never gotten the appeal. :shrug:

I'm not starting a caliber war but I prefer 40SW. In my testing it out performs. I have not always felt this way but what l\ed me to this was during a training course the instructor made some very persuasive points about the round and it had nothing to do with capacity.

Edited by Patton

I have 2 guns chambered in .40S&W. I like both guns but I really don't think the round is all that impressive. If I didn't have so much invested in the caliber I would sell both guns and buy something in .45ACP

As others have said, .40 really isn't cheap enough to justify IMO. I'd rather pay just a little bit more for .45ACP. If I could go back in time I would invest in 9mm and .45

I have 2 guns chambered in .40S&W. I like both guns but I really don't think the round is all that impressive. If I didn't have so much invested in the caliber I would sell both guns and buy something in .45ACP

As others have said, .40 really isn't cheap enough to justify IMO. I'd rather pay just a little bit more for .45ACP. If I could go back in time I would invest in 9mm and .45

I would take my .40 HK or any other .40 pistol over a .45. I have owned so many .45s and with magazine capacity it just makes since to me. 9mm and .45 are both fine calibers along with .357 SIG but .45 is just big and slow and 9mm is light and fast. I stay in the middle lol :)

Guest pfries

Anyone in the Bristol area still running 357 sig? Box of 50umc upfor the taking? Got rid of mine and came across a box.Shoot me a pm I am working 70+ hrs right now but if you can get by my work I can bring it with me.

Guest 6.8 AR

I would take my .40 HK or any other .40 pistol over a .45. I have owned so many .45s and with magazine capacity it just makes since to me. 9mm and .45 are both fine calibers along with .357 SIG but .45 is just big and slow and 9mm is light and fast. I stay in the middle lol :)

That's why they even make doublestack .45's :D, so you can have more of those slow rocks to throw.

Edited by 6.8 AR

I really like the forty but got on the "sell" bandwagon to fund my newest addiction -- 32 H&R revolvers... Just thinned out two .40s -- a S&W 411 and a Stoeger Cougar. The Stoeger was probably a best buy in a pistol I had as it was an incredible shooter out of the box. The Smith was a "value line" gun that was also a good shooter -- I used it to qualify for CCP years ago. I just didn't shoot them enough and now am hooked on the little wheel guns...

Guest Lester Weevils

I DO NOT want to get into a caliber war but I've really never quite understood the appeal of the 40 S&W.

Ammo isn't inexpensive (comparatively) to 45 or 10MM, at least not enough to make a difference to me anyway.

The 40s I've shot didn't seem to be any more "controllable" than my 45s or 10mm.

Performance of the ammo isn't impressive compared to 45/10.

Please don't misunderstand, to each his own and I've not "against" the round...I've just never gotten the appeal. :shrug:

I wouldn't be interested in a caliber war either, but am curious whether it can be "generally agreed" about the power-ranking of some of the pistol rounds? Some people claim that power isn't everything in hunting or defense, so am not interested whether one caliber is more "deadly" than another. However, simply considering full-tilt-boogie power, is it possible to objectively rank the following?

.357 Mag

.357 Sig

.40 S&W

.44 Mag

.45 Auto

10 mm

Another question of interest that POSSIBLY could be objectively answered-- I have no idea, but for instance if .44 Mag and 10mm happen to be about the same power level, would the 10mm semi-autos tend to have "less recoil" than the same barrel-length .44 Mag revolvers? That one wouldn't beat you up as much as the other for about the same power? Or is that just a silly question to ask?

I have always heard that H&K's were built around the 40SW catridge unlike most others being built around the 9mm cartridge.

The HK USP has been built around the .40S&W since its introduction in 1993. In 1994 HK made a 9mm version and 1995 a .45 version. I love the HK platform but it's not for everyone. Our lovely govt. agency ICE carries HK's in .40, I believe the PK2000 and USP Compact .40 LEM which is what I carry. A buddy of mine is ICE in Arizona.

I wouldn't be interested in a caliber war either, but am curious whether it can be "generally agreed" about the power-ranking of some of the pistol rounds? Some people claim that power isn't everything in hunting or defense, so am not interested whether one caliber is more "deadly" than another. However, simply considering full-tilt-boogie power, is it possible to objectively rank the following?

.357 Mag

.357 Sig

.40 S&W

.44 Mag

.45 Auto

10 mm

Another question of interest that POSSIBLY could be objectively answered-- I have no idea, but for instance if .44 Mag and 10mm happen to be about the same power level, would the 10mm semi-autos tend to have "less recoil" than the same barrel-length .44 Mag revolvers? That one wouldn't beat you up as much as the other for about the same power? Or is that just a silly question to ask?

The problem is how you quantify "power". There are so many variables it is hard to make apple to apple comparison. Generally though from what I've seen across the board 9mm through .45 are relativley identical in how much damage and "one stop shot" power they deliver to the target using their best loads. BTW the type of ammo and barrel length make a HUGE difference. Here is a chart that I've used as a general idea. It is not the only one but a good comparison. It does not account for some of the newer bullets on the market.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

Edited by Smith