I know this is somewhat subjective, but after reading some other threads can anyone compare and contrast the differences in the different finishes? I understand melonite/tennifer and had some guns GunKoted, but how does Black-T, DiamondKote, Ionbond, Cera-Kote, etc. compare? I know they all have pro's and cons but what is the best (IYO) all round finish for us average Joe's who just want a bombproof finish?

PS - Please don't link and say read this. I've read all those and they all show their pluses. I'm more interested in comparisons from first hand experience.:up:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Centennial

I had my Springfield 1911 finished with NP3 by Robar. I am quite pleased with how it turned out and how tough it is.

Guest darkstar

Let the Glock wars begin!!!!! I think the Tennifer finish is great, I wish my Sigs had that. The way Glock does it makes them damn near indestructible....talkin finish here don't go on and on about kabooms, and all the other BS that goes with the Glock wars.

Good point, but technically it's not a finish (not trying to be a jerk). Tennifer/melonite is a great treatment and I'm glad it is now available outside the factory. Glocks, XDs, M&Ps, Walther P99s, and I'm sure others use it.

I've had a Hi-Power GunKoted and it was very good. However, I think my new Hi-power I'll get Melonited with a gloss slide and matte frame when the blue wears down.

Guest darkstar
Good point, but technically it's not a finish (not trying to be a jerk). Tennifer/melonite is a great treatment and I'm glad it is now available outside the factory. Glocks, XDs, M&Ps, Walther P99s, and I'm sure others use it.

I've had a Hi-Power GunKoted and it was very good. However, I think my new Hi-power I'll get Melonited with a gloss slide and matte frame when the blue wears down.

Yeah you're right, that stuff is right in the metal....good stuff. I'll say it again I wish my Sigs had that....the Sig finishes, in my opinion, are not exactly stellar

Guest bkelm18
does anybody know what this finish is actually called or how/where to get it? just says its stainless steel with a matte black finish.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=65452&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y

The stainless steel is referring to the metal the firearm is made of. The matte black finish could be any number of finishes applied over the steel.

Guest gcrookston
The stainless steel is referring to the metal the firearm is made of. The matte black finish could be any number of finishes applied over the steel.

just buff it off and you'll have a wonderful stainless finish...

• 3 weeks later...

Is buffing the finish off something folks actually do when modifying their guns? It seems many guns with holster wear on matte black would look a lot better with just the stainless steel, but this isn't a practice I've heard much about.

Is buffing the finish off something folks actually do when modifying their guns? It seems many guns with holster wear on matte black would look a lot better with just the stainless steel, but this isn't a practice I've heard much about.

I've never buffed an entire gun, but I buffed the barrel, guide rod end, slide stop, slide release, all pins, and the grip safety on my XD40.